****** ******** sold me a fence that his company was neither prepared nor qualified to install per the terms of our agreement. It is still NOT done!
Contract date: 3/19/2015 (paid contractor in full at this time).
Fencing systems sold to be installed by contractor: 90' of Radiance Aluminum ornamental fence, along with 3 gates, plus 211' of black vinyl coated chain link fence.
Timeline: Contractor said they should receive the materials within three weeks of the contract signing, and have it installed within another week thereafter (4 weeks total).
Location for fence: in the back yard of my Brentwood residence.
Sales Representative: ****** ******** (owner).
My primary complaint, stated in ******'s own words, "I can sell the steak but I struggle to deliver the sizzle."
In my experience, ****** seriously oversold and under delivered! What I received in quality, timeliness, and professionalism was absolutely NOTHING like I expected, nor like what I was SOLD by ******!
This project had HORRIBLE management from beginning to end! The communication was horrible! (Often times not returning my calls, texts, and emails for days or weeks.) The materials ordering was horrible! (The wrong aluminum fence style was ordered and installed, the custom chain-link was NOT ordered as expected, along with other hardware, which delayed the initial installation by another month, after already having waited a month for the aluminum to come in.) The project management was horrible! (The subcontractors hired to install the chain-link fence had no idea how the chain-link was to intersect with the aluminum, or where that would take place. The left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing! The subs didn't know where the fence lines should be, what type of chain-link meshing was to be installed or which way it should face, the size of the gates to be installed, and had no knowledge about the special order hardware that was supposed to be installed on the fence.)
Furthermore, the subcontractor that ****** and ****** hired to install my fence was only physically on site ONE TIME (for half a day), on a job that required THREE full days of work. The other two and a half days, the sub sent over his laborers to perform largely unsupervised work, without the knowledge or resources to correctly install the fencing system that ****** sold me!
Communication between ****** and his subs was just as bad as his communication was with me. I spent a great deal of TIME explaining to ****** exactly what I wanted (prior to the contract signing and throughout the job), but very little of this information ever made it from ****** to the people who he actually hired to perform this work. It was a constant cascade of failures and disappointments, one right after the other.
****** has shown absolutely NO sense of PRIDE in the QUALITY of their workmanship, rather he has only fixed that which I have constantly nagged him about. He essentially left ME to be the project manager, as he moved his resources to other locations sighting the tremendous amount of work that he ALWAYS has to do.
Several portions of my fence were damaged by the subcontractors who installed it, either by carelessness, or by simply not knowing how to install it properly. Some of this damage has YET to be fixed OVER FOUR MONTHS AFTER THE CONTRACT SIGNING AND PAYMENT to American Fence!
I have probably spent XX-XXX HOURS of MY TIME trying to reach out to ****** and ******, providing them with documentation and PROOF of their faulty work (pictures, videos, etc...) Yet they have failed to prioritize the completion of this project, and have refused to allocate the resources to hire another more qualified contractor to complete this work.
****** and ****** are very friendly and personable to speak with, but in my experience, they are one of the most HORRIBLE contractors that I've ever done business with! I wouldn't wish this nightmare that I've been through on my worst enemy!
ALL THAT I WANT IS WHAT ****** SOLD ME, WHAT I PAID HIM FOR, AND WHAT I AM DUE! Nothing more, and nothing less!
****** has still yet to deliver that!
I want American Fence to QUICKLY hire QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS to replace the sections of fencing previously damaged by their subcontractors, and to INSPECT THE ENTIRE FENCE to ensure the HIGHEST QUALITY INSTALLATION, and to QUICKLY replace any defects found! I want American Fence to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their work, to SUPERVISE AND INSPECT THE WORK OF THEIR SUBCONTRACTORS, and to quit expecting ME to oversee their work and repeatedly point out defects before they take corrective action. I want this to be one of their highest PRIORITIES and I want them to GET IT 100% DONE!
**** ****** Punch List (simplified)
In an effort to complete Mr. ******'s project, American Fence agrees to the requirements listed below
1. We will place screws in the open holes in the fence where needed.
2. The arched gate will be straightened and leveled
3. Place the extended pickets on the fencing where needed but the only way we will be able to do this is to remove the panel and put it back together with brackets. (Mr. ****** has stated they are on site and we only need screws)
4. Replace two top rails and one post on the chain link fence
5. Replace one top rail on one aluminum section
6. (3) aluminum posts to be reset to plumb. Mr. ****** will point them out while on site
7. Get double gate squared (possibly due to the posts not being plumb)
8. American Fence will pay up to $100 for Mr. ****** to have his own latch made with the understanding that American Fence will not be responsible for installation or quality of the latch or the end result of Mr. ******'s installation of the latch.
9. American Fence will pay up to $100 for Mr. ****** to have a grate built to add to his gate and will assume NO responsibility for the end result of the grate being built and installed.
10. If Mr. ****** has the need to order additional Radiance parts or supplies due to damage to his existing fence, he may email ********@******************* and he will be given the information of our sales rep to order materials himself. Our sales rep would like notice that a non-contractor will be calling in an order so we will not be giving out this information at this time. As discussed with the BBB, it was never part of our contract that Mr. ****** be allowed to order parts or supplies from us in the future. We are only doing this as a courtesy to Mr. ******. American Fence will not offer materials at any price other than the actual cost of the materials as stated by the sales rep at the time of ordering.
11. We will not refund in the amount of $2,000 to Mr. ******.
12. Once this punch list for Mr ****** is completed. Mr ****** is to have no additional contact with American Fence and Gate unless, as stated earlier, he needs information to order materials for damage purposes OR there is a warranty issue that needs to be handled within the warranty time period as stated on the contract.
American Fence and Gate, LLC
(The consumer indicated he/she ACCEPTED the response from the business.)
Provided that you are assuring me that your supplier WILL sell to me directly and that I WILL be able to purchase Radiance Aluminum Fence MATERIALS in the future (as needed to maintain and repair my fence), and you complete the listed repairs quickly, using only qualified professionals, with the lead subcontractor on-site for the duration of the work, I am agreeable to this resolution.
Final Business Response
Per our previous response, this customer will be allowed to order any Radiance materials necessary to make repairs on his fence in the future, however, we will not perform any repairs for this customer unless it is a warranty situation. The customer will have to provide his own labor for repairs not under warranty.
We will set up an appt with Mr.****** and be available for the final repairs with a lead subcontractor who is a qualified professional as are ALL of our installers.