BBB Accredited Business since 09/30/1999

Maury Fence Company, Inc.

04/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company does not finish their work nor do they respond to customer complaints about dangers resulting from the unfinished work.
We had an aluminum fence put around our swimming pool by Maury fence Company. It took them months to secure our pool. I called on multiple occasions and left messages without any response from the company. When I spoke with the sales rep for my project he would assure me that they would be out the next week to take care of the issues. Months later when the fence was inlace they put a gate on one end that did not meet the safety requirements for pool gates in Williamson county. It took 3-4 weeks more to get the correct gate put on. When that was done they company retrofitted the gate by soddering a pole in place to attach the gate to. The pole does not have a cap. It is located where you reach up for the latch. The top of the pool is sharp. It could cut a finger. I expressed my concern, about the children cutting themselves on it, to the installer. He said someone would be out the following week to take care of it. That was in the fall of 2014. It is now spring of 2015. I still do not have a cap. I have called numerous times regarding this. Each time I am told someone will call back. The pole that they company attached is showing signs of rust. If the fence is aluminum why would it be rusting and some screws are also rusting. I called about these issues also. The sales rep called back once two and half weeks ago and said he would be out the following week to take care of it. No one came out. I have called several times over the last two weeks with none of my calls returned.

I want the dangerous pole caped off and the rusting areas replaced.

Response was somewhat hindered because we were not contracted by the individual filing this complaint to do the work. All paperwork including accounts receivable records regarding this installation were filed in the customers name we performed the work for. Let me begin by expressing my sincere apology and concern for the delay in completing the punch list for this project in a timely manner! As soon as we gathered the appropriate customer info regarding these concerns I met with each employee involved and scheduled our salesman to take care of items needing to be addressed. As of the date of my response this site visit has taken place and punch list completed. Please note...in regards to the statement "took months to secure", aluminum fence is a special order item that can take anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks to come in with certain colors or styles taking longer due to manufacturers run schedules. This was the case with the Bronze color selected by this customer. Due to the variance, installs are not scheduled until materials arrive at our location making this install time within the normal range for this product. The supplier shipped the wrong gate so we were at their mercy getting the correct one in and installed. This customer had custom sidewalks and concrete work already in place so custom accommodations had to be made for the gate also. I assure you the customers fence is aluminum with only the custom piece on the gate being steel and steel tap con screws HAD to be used because of the unusual density of her concrete. These have been touched up with bronze coating supplied by the aluminum manufacturer. The cap that was left off by our crew leader has been put in place. Our sales rep is apologetic for the delays involved as he is well aware that his lack of follow through was unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to my attention as it is our goal to meet every customers fence needs in a timely manner with top quality workmanship.

This company new exactly who I was and what account/job I was calling about. Every time I spoke with the sales man he new who I was and which fence project I was calling about. I asked on several occasions to speak to a manager or the owner when I called. They were never available and never returned my calls.
It took me filing a complaint with the BBB to get a response and the work completed.

08/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Lack of communication with customer and not completing installation.
This was a full fence installation that took place around the end of May 2014. Prior to installation it was requested that the fence not be physically secured to the home. This was ignored and the fence was bolted to the brick of the home. No other complaints of the fence installation itself.

The primary concern is the installation of a custom gate. The gate was installed with the gate resting on the ground. This causes the gate to drag across the existing driveway pavement. I called the company and it took two weeks to get them to come and look at the gate. It was determined that a roller could be added to the gate to help resolve the problem. Another two weeks go by and I called again. I received a voice mail that the gate would be repaired that week. The gate still has not been repaired.

I feel like 5 - 6 weeks waiting on a roller to correct the gate installation is excessive. I called back again today (7/14/2014) and was told the sales rep was gone and I would have to talk to him. They were going to try and contact him to give me an update. No calls yet.

I need the gate to be fixed properly. Preferably in a timely manner. It should not take months to complete installation of the gate.

First of all let me begin by saying we certainly do appreciate the opportunity to meet the fence needs of this customer and hope this properly addresses the issues at hand! We were notified by BBB via email on July 22nd regarding some concerns outlined as; non completion of install and lack of communication. Please note this customers installation was completed on May 30, 2014 with all components working properly when we left the job site. The Mrs. customer called our office on June 11th to convey there was an issue of concern with the gate. We then scheduled an onsite inspection that came to a mutual determination that a roller needed to be installed. Our salesman began contacting suppliers to find they do not make aluminum rollers. This left our customer with two options, put on a roller that did not match their fence material or we would custom fabricate a roller. In order for them to be pleased with the outcome long term and considering their investment, building what they needed was the only best choice! This is where the time delay came into play. Because we are in the middle of an extremely high volume of calls and installs the fabrication with execution of build did take a little longer than we would have preferred.
This customer was in good hands with their salesman which has been an excellent employee giving great customer service for 12 years but upon speaking with him he said there had been some phone tag between himself and this customer also stating that he should have been more aggressive with follow up details and timelines so for that we do sincerely apologize. The custom roller was installed July 15th, prior to receiving the BBB notice so to the best of my knowledge this is a complete install.
We have been in business for 40 years and experiencing greater demand for our services so with that is coming some growing pains that we are doing our best not to let negatively affect our valued customers.
Last, I would like to address the comment that we were told not to attach the fence to the house but in fact Mr. customer told us not to drill into the driveway and we did not. Our salesman stated that they had met with multiple companies and seemed to be confused with who they told what. They have a unique situation where the driveway butts up to the house so we could not have core drilled the gate post into position because of the risk of hitting the footer of the house. They mentioned someone told them to use a boot but that was not our company either as customers are not pleased with the long term performance of them so we do not recommend them actually avoiding them if at all possible. Again, with the unique angle of their install it would have been even more of a problem and look terrible as well! We work for many of the home contractors in middle Tn and in this type of situation they often request it to be attached to the house. Our salesman said he felt there was some communication confusion with multiple companies being involved in the estimate requests and between the husband and wife. If the Mr. customer had requested not to be attached to the house, there would have had to be extensive conversation involving ALL of the above mentioned issues putting everyone involved on the same page.
In closing, it is our goal to meet our customers fence needs in a timely manner with top quality workmanship and materials. The unique circumstances and customization of this install presented us with some challenges that caused a bit of a delay and again we apologize for that. We expect this customer will enjoy many years of service from their wise choice in materials and design. We thank them for using Maury Fence Company!