BBB Accredited Business since 12/01/1983

Southeast Automotive

10 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

02/02/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Southeast promised to repair the console and top interior cover when I purchased the vehicle 06.19.2014 and to date I'm still waiting for the repair.
When I purchased my car on June 19, 2014, which is the second car I purchase from Southeast since the first one had to be returned for damage, I pointed out repair issues it had. At that time and before I had paid my down payment I was told by **** at Southeast that the issues will be taken care for in the next few days. It has been now 3 months and I'm still waiting for the two specific fixes to take place. I have called **** every day and the latest I heard from him was to bring the car to **** *** of Nolensville where a Technician told me they had the parts needed for the repair but **** had not paid them yet to carry on with the work. I have gone back and forth with **** and his answer is "I'm stopping by **** *** today to leave the check" and yet no payment has been made to authorize the repair. The two repairs pending are the interior console/arm rest and the broken panel between the two visors.
Any help will be appreciated. I should have learned a lesson from the lemon they first sold me and just ran away from the dealership. Thank you.

I want Southeast to pay **** *** / **** for the parts needed to perform the repairs of the car.

The part the customer requested was ordered and is in stock and he has been notified of that on several occasions.

09/16/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Sales Person misrepresented the value of the auto. Vehicle has repair issues that can not be fixed. They will not make it right.
In January, I traded a 2010 Dodge for a 2006 HHR that I was told was more valuable than the Dodge. I was charged $3,900 additional for the HHR. Sales contract shows HHR price is $18,900.00. One month later the HHR began having electrical problems where the dials would register 0 mph as you drove down the interstate. Also, showed low fuel when I had just filled up. They worked on the car several times but could not guarantee the problem was fixed. 3 days after I got the car back, the power steering went out, came back, went out, etc. The dealer replaced the power steering motor. I told them I am afraid to drive the car and wanted to trade it. The trade value is now less than $8,000. They told me and a friend in May that they would sell cars over the Memorial Day weekend and make up some of the money they would lose on getting a different car for me. Now they want to bring the HHR back to me because they say that I will never be happy.
I am not happy that I will be getting a car back that may or may not be repaired. Also, I am upset that I was overcharged approx. $6,000.00 for a car back in January. This has gone on a long time and I think that they are dragging it out because the sales person is a friend of my son-in-law.

I would like to have a check for the value that I paid for the 2006 HHR. I estimate the value that I paid at approx. $14,000.00 even though the paper works shows that I paid $18,900.00. If not a check then I would like a safe car with a value of that amount.

I have attached several documents from the deal with Ms. ******* starting with the Federal Buyers Guide that indicates that we sold the vehicle "AS IS". A service contract was not purchased with this vehicle. A Buyers Order is also attached with the agreed upon price signed by both Ms. ******* and us. I have also attached a "We Owe form indicating we did not owe anything further for this transaction. Lastly I have included a copy of the Carfax history on this vehicle that does not show any history of problems for this vehicle.

While I can sympathize with her frustration the problem with the vehicle is a manufacturer problem not a problem created by Southeast. We did repair the power steering pump as requested. As is customary when we purchased the vehicle we did perform an inspection and no problems were found at that time.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further comment or documentation.

Regards,

**** ********

07/08/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Took car in for service of airconditioning not cooling and car not starting. car is still not cooling.
took 2002 grand cherokee jeep in for repairs on or about 5/3/11 for car not starting and a/c not cooling.picked the car up on 5/7/13. the next day the car was blowing hot air again. My first complaint is that the repair was $285.00 to repair the air. i was not informed this payment amount may not repair the a/c. the repair consisted replacing two rings which were $10.00 each and replacing freon. All the freon has leaked out again and it is still not cooling. took car back thinking they would make sure car was repaired at no charge and they say bill $460 more to replace another part. complaint #2 is the repair for the car not starting was a wire repair for $196. the wire was not replaced so i am questioning how many hours of labor is $196 to repair or hook back up a wire?

the settlement i am seeking is to have my car repaired at no additonal charge. when i was told the repair was $285 for the air repair i am expecting for the air to be repaired. i should have been informed if the $285 was for a possible solution and may need additonal work. Also i would like a refund for the wire repair. I feel that was taking advantage of me and an over charge for the work on the wire.

I have attached the service history on this case and a brief response for the service manager outlining our position. Basically this is a 126k miles vehicle and to expect to not have continuing maintenance expense is unrealistic. It appears to me that the case was handled properly by our service team and the outcome just doesn't end up being what the customer would have hoped for. Unfortunately we can't roll back time or miles, older vehicles usually have continuing maintenance and it usually grows the longer you choose to drive them.

I have since had my vehicle/air repaired. I would like a refund for the air conditioning service they charged me and did not repair.

07/08/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

The sales and finance staff misrepresented a vehicle in order to obtain financing through an extremely high interest rate company.
I went to the dealership to trade in my wife's ford escape hybrid that the nada value on at the time was 9200.00 the original price of the base model dodge grand caravan was set at 17,000. I owed 11,300 on the escape so I knew I was going to carry some negative equity into the new loan. They are very slick fast talkers and used the good ole " keep it for a year and we will get it refinanced for you" line. Before I realized what was taking place they had obtained financing for me with 500.00 down. However to obtain the financing they mid represented the vehicle being purchased on the buyers orders and tweaked the numbers quite a bit. They listed that this vehicle has every option known to man kind to drive the value way up. I ended up financing 25,000 on a 17,000 van. Doing the math I got screwed on my trade in and on the overall loan. Clean trade a year later on that van is 14000. I still owe 24,000 due to the interest rate they obtained for me. Buyer beware they magically had to bring me the paperwork to my workplace for me to sign by a gentleman that knew only where I needed to sign during a busy time for me. Yes I signed it not really knowing what I was signing on. If I was not credit worthy enough to purchase this vehicle with the proper options then they should have told me that rather than steal my trade from me and jack the value of the new vehicle way up to obtain the financing. I would have been good with hearing no. Now I can't do anything with this van because no finance company will touch it without 8,000 down to pay off the negative equity. I feel that I have been taken advantage of and my wife has contacted mr hufines at the dealership and he said he would look into it but no response from him. He basically told her that we knew what we were signing for so it's on us. In reality the original contract was no longer good when they came to my workplace to have me resign the papers. All I saw was the monthly payment. They also told me the finance company would be conducting a phone interview with me and I was instructed to tell them it is loaded to the gills. Well I never had that interview and after seeing how they do business I wouldn't be surprised if they did the interview for me so I wouldn't screw it up. I'm very displeased and have spoken to many other dealers and a lawyer and they all said they should be liable to purchase the vehicle back from me for the entire amount of the loan. And that if the owe me money on the trade then they need to cover that. Misrepresenting a vehicle to a finance company to obtain financing is FRAUD any which way you slice and dice it. Either I want this vehicle purchased back from me or I want the vehicle I signed papers for. I don't think it's to much to ask and if this can not be resolved now then I will pursue legal action with my lawyer for price padding and misrepresentation of a product for personal gain. My finance company has also been notified of the matter and they stated that this needed to be resolved by the dealer. Lets come to a resolution.

Purchase the vehicle back for the entire amount of the loan

We sent to the finance company a check to cover the amount Mr. ****** claimed was not on the vehicle vs what the bookout sheet indicated. I informed Mr. ****** that we had done that and as far as I know all is satisfied.

07/30/2012Advertising / Sales Issues
07/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Purchased 2013 Ford Escape March 1st. I had problems first week of purchase.
I purchased 2013 Ford Escape March 1st.I was told to take to Marta Monday. Monday the check tire pressure light came on. The Ford didn't pass ***** Monday there was a piece missing inside the truck where they put the instrument so it couldn't get tested.I took the suv back to the dealership to inform them the tire pressure light was on & that the suv was missing something to where it couldn't get checked. *********** took the key & came back an hour later stating that the tire light was just the senser messing up because it's cold its now off they also took the vehicle back through marta for me & that it passed. Tuesday the check tire pressure light came back on. I called *********** she told me to put air in my tires. I now have driven the suv for a week the brakes didn't feel as though they was stopping properly I once again spoke to *********** about my issue because when she sold me the vehicle she said that is was a very good car and had already been check out. But when I took the vehicle in to get the brakes checked by them they said it was the rotors. Which at that time they flipped. Vehicle brakes still doesn't feel right. March 20 my engine light comes on me & my family is out of town.The car continued to cut off on us & jurck really bad. I called & spoke to Miss.Huerta March 20 she told me to take it to any Ford dealership near me. They wanted to charge me to look at my car & also drop me & my kids off where we was staying. I decided to wait and take it back to the dealership I got the vehicle from. March 24 I took the car back to Southeast where they wanted to charge me $98 just to look at it & find out what's wrong. I explained to her that I didn't feel as though it was right for me to give any money & what I would like is for them to give me my down payment back of $1,300 & keep the vehicle. She then went & spoke to the mechanic.I went to speak to **** *** about taking the vehicle back I didn't feel comfortable with it being 2013 & the engine light is on. He said I had to talk to the bank not him. I had no idea who I even got financed through. I had no numbers. Not even the name. He told me it was in my paper work which was in the car. *********** came back & let me know that my car was fixed it was just the senser.I took the car the engine light came back on March 25 around 8pm.I called US bank that night to speak to them about the vehicle I got the information from the **** for the vehicle they sent me. I was informed that they had nothing to do with the dealership taking the car back I had to talk to the dealership about that.March 26 I took the vehicle back and once again informed Mr.*** I didn't want the vehicle the engine light was on again he informed me he wouldn't be taking the car back nor give me my down payment back because it's a 2013 & its a good vehicle. But the engine light is on again its not a good car. He once again stated its between me & the bank I informed him I had already talked to them & they said it wasn't so has I was calling them again he told me to get out of his office very rudely. I spoke to them again they said the same thing it's between me & the dealership & that they really should take it back. And that if they did that the dealership would have to send them there money back for the vehicle the bank also stated that the dealership could call them & they would explain that to them. I informed him of what was said he once again refused to keep the vehicle but instead they would fix it again. They kept the vehicle I was told they would call me Thursday March 27th they never did I call Friday at that time I was informed it would be it would be $700 to fix. And that I could come pick up the vehicle with the engine light still on while they order the part for the engine. I went to the dealership to speak to Mr.*** about why I was being told how much it's gonna cost. He said he couldn't get intouch with the Mechanic & would call me Monday he never did and it's April 1st & still no call

I have made my first car payment of $429 March 31st on a vehicle that is broken down. On April 1st I made my first insurance payment on a vehicle that is broken down. I want them to keep there vehicle give me my $1,300 down payment back my first car payment $429 and insurance money back $100

I have looked into this complaint and can offer the following:

Ms. *********'s vehicle is out of warranty on miles from the manufacturer on this repair. She did purchase a limited coverage extended service contract at the time of sale. The vehicle was purchased on an As-Is basis form the dealership as is standard practice.

As for the air pressure sensor indicating tire pressure issues that is fairly common in all models. It is directly connected to weather conditions and is not a problem with the vehicle just a maintenance item everyone has had to deal with since that items is mandated on all vehicles now.

As for the check engine light we have taken the vehicle to Mid Tenn Ford for a diagnostic service to determine what the issue is because our scan tool would not read the code. That diagnostic service cost 201.95 and we have covered that expense as a good will gesture. The diagnosis is for Canister Vent Solenoid, remove and replace, clear codes and re-test, perform adaptive re-learn/drive cycle. The estimate for those repairs are $975.88 plus tax.

As I mentioned earlier this vehicle was sold on an As-Is basis, however we have always tried to be a good partner in the community and understand that Ms. ********* probably feels the vehicle should have not had any issues at this early date and time of ownership. While technically we have no obligations to have even paid for the diagnostic service we did and while technically we have no obligation to offer any assistance on the repair we will cover a portion of the expense for this repair as another good will gesture. The total expense is $1177.83 plus tax and my offer is Southeast will cover up to $800 of the repair. That would make Ms. *********'s share of the expense $412.78 including tax.

Ms. ********* again has purchased a used vehicle and not a warranty but a limited extended service contract. This is not a vehicle that we manufactured or warrantied in any way. We did inspect the vehicle for defects before offering it for sale as we do with all of the vehicles we offer to the public. As with any mechanical or technical piece of equipment they can and do malfunction from time to time, without notice. Used vehicles are less money because they have miles and use and usually an expired or partially expired warranty. The purchaser of a used vehicle must assume responsibility for the repair and maintenance of that vehicle not the dealership that sold it.

I think we are making a very fair offer to help and look forward to hearing back from you on this complaint. The parts are here for the repair so as soon as we have an agreement we can have the repair done.

Southeast dealership and I had already spoken about the cost of the repair of the vehicle which if Ford was fixing it the cost would be $900 Southeast said they would fix it for $700 my concerns that I spoke to the manager about several times was me paying $700 for a 2013 vehicle I've only had 3 weeks. Yes anyone in there right mind would be upset. I thought I was buying a better car than I was driving thinking that it would be a long time before it would need some work on it.Now the price of the car went way up to get it fixed our very first conversation was that it was getting fixed for free. Since I really just felt as though I'm going to continue having issues with this vehicle I wanted a refund and not get it fixed at all let them keep there vehicle. It should still be $700 to fix and I still shouldn't have to pay any thing to get it fixed. I wasnt offered nor even told that I could purchase an warranty. Yes I understand that the car is used i didn't really get a cheap price on the vehicle you can get the same car same year same color brand new same price and with warranties. Please inform me of when and where my vehicle will be getting fixed. For my car as been on your lot since March 26th 2 weeks I really need my vehicle before Easter. Thankyou very much to Southeast for giving me your good well gesture.

10/30/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

We basically got played out if a car when we already had one. So we ended up with no car dealing with them.
Hi, my husband and I recently got a car from southeast automotive. We only had it for a month and when we got it they told us that I was financed and everything went threw. But this past Monday, they called us back telling us that we needed to come sign some more paper work. When we arrived there, one of the guys name **** told us that that they had to take the car back from us because it wasn't financed. In the beginning it was but now it isn't. We don't understand. We had a car that was messed up and we gave it back to the car lot we received it from thinking that southeast automotive was a good fit for us to start over with a brand new car. We basically got played and ended up with no car when we had one to begin with. We're trying to understand if it wasn't financed in the beginning how were we able to leave the lot with the car and drive it for a whole month. My name is ****** ******** and my husband name is ****** ********.

The resolution that my wife and I both are looking forward to is getting a car. We have 2 smalls kids one which is a newborn. And they've basically left us with no car.

From: **** ******** <*****@************.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: BBB Complaint Case#********(Ref#XX-XXXXX-XXXXXXXX-X-XXX)
To: Better Business Bureau <*************@bbb-email.org>
Cc: **** ***** <*********@aol.com>

*****,

I have reviewed the above referenced transaction and offer the following for your review.

I spoke with the sales manager involved and the finance manager involved as well as have attached the "Conditional Delivery Agreement" signed by the customer. As I understand it we made several attempts to obtain financing for this customer but in the end it was not possible. We do review the conditional delivery status of every transaction that we deliver prior to obtaining finance approval and funding.

After talking with the managers involved they were in communication with this customer throughout the process.

If you require any further details please feel free to contact me any time.

Thanks,

**** ********

Their still not telling me anything that's worth hearing. They haven't owned up to the fact that they left my family and I without a car. If they don't respond with the right response we'll be taking further action. We're just trying to get this resolved.

08/09/2012Advertising / Sales Issues