BBB Accredited Business since 04/18/2011

Auto Art Body Shop - Smyrna

07/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Gash on bumper underneath license plate area, scratches on radio display, scratches/smudges on left rear bumper and defroster doesn't work properly.
On 04/03/13 my vehicle was involved in an accident on 1-24. Ran over tractor trailer tire causing significant damage to the front of the car. When I picked my car up from the body shop after repairs were made I noticed additional damage that was not there prior to the accident. The radio display has scratches on it in 2 places that was NOT there prior. The back bumper below the license plate area has a deep gash. There are white smudges on the left rear bumper that I thought were left over wax when I picked up the car because I was informed that it had been detailed. I was later informed by the owner that they don't really detail, they just vacuum. The rear defroster takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes to defrost the back whereas before it took 2-3 minutes in the much colder months. When I took the vehicle to the repair shop to show the owner **** ********, I was informed that "My guys know to report any damages caused and if they don't they **** be fired. So if they didn't report it it didn't happen." Basically calling me a liar. He then proceeded to tell me that I have 2 options. 1. Send info to insurance and see if they **** pay. 2. He'd take photos and decide if he would repair the damages. The owner took photos and stated that he would call me back after he had spoken with the insurance. I never received a call from him. I contacted State Farm Insurance and they sent a rep to survey the damages. I was informed that they did not feel that the damages were caused by the accident and therefore would not be covered under my policy.

I would like for the company to repair the damages that occurred at the shop. I do not feel that I should have pay for repairs caused by the shop nor do I feel that I should have to pay for a rental car while mine is being repaired for damages that were not there prior to the body shop repairs.

YES TIMES BEFORE WE HAVE DAMAGED CUSTOMERS VEHICLE WHEN IN THE SHOP FOR REPAIR , A SCRATCH IN THE PAINT, BROKEN GLASS OR MAYBE A RIP IN THE SEAT AND WE ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF IT AND SOME TIMES EVEN WHEN WE ARE NOT SURE IT WAS DONE IN OUR SHOP.BUT THIS CASE IS A LITTLE DEFFERENT TO ME. FIRST OF ALL LET ME SAY AND I DIDNT KNOW UNTIL I STARTED REVIEWING THIS CASE THAT I HAVE PHOTOS OF THIS VEHICLE OF FRONT AND REAR AND ALL FOUR CORNERS THAT WE HAVE TO SEND UP TO THE INSURANCE CO BEFORE WE STARTED WORKING ON IT AND YOU CAN PLANLY SEE THE SPOTS ON THE REAR BUMPER .AS FOR THE SPOT THAT IS ON THE FACE COVER OF THE RADIO THAT IF THE LIGHT IS JUST RIGHT AND YOU LEAN YOUR HEAD BACK AND FORTH AND I STILL COULD MAYBE SEE SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A FINGER PRINT, HAS ANYONE TRYED CLEANING IT OFF? WE DIDNT HAVE ANY REASON TO TOUCH THE RADIO. NOW THE HEATED BACK GLASS YES IT COULD TAKE 2,3 ,10-15 MINUTES , DEPENDS IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MORNING DUE, FROST, ICE , SNOW . JUST DONT THINK WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT AND KEEP IN MIND WE WORKED ON FRONT BUMPER AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN ARE HEARD OF A LIGHT IMPACT TO THE FRONT WOULD CAUSE THAT BUT THAT IS SOMETHING THE FORD DEALER COULD CHECK OUT.AS FOR ME TELLING THE CUSTOMER I WOULD CALL INS CO AND CALL HER BACK ,THAT MAY BE MY BAD .I REALY THOUGHT I TOLD CUSTOMER I WOULD CALL INS CO AND SHE WOULD HEAR FROM ONE OF US . STILL I CALLED THE INS CO AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND A FIELD REP OUT AND THEY WOULD LET ME KNOW IF I NEEDED TO DO ANYTHING. I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING BACK FROM THEM AND FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THEY DIDNT FEEL THEY NEEDED TO TAKE CARE OF THIS AND I CAN TELL YOU WE DO A LOT OF WORK FOR THIS COMPANY AND IF THEY THOUGHT THIS WAS SOMETHING WE NEEDED TO FIX I WOULD HAVE RECIEVED A PHONE CALL. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO REVIEW THE PHOTOS OF PRIOR DAMAGE OF THE BUMPER. MRS ******** SAID WE BASICALLY CALLED HER A LIAR, WE JUST SAID WE DIDNT DO THOSE DAMAGES . I COULD WALK OUT TO MY OWN CAR TODAY AND GIVE IT A GOOD LOOK AND FIND DINGS AND SCRATCHES I DIDNT KNOW I HAD . THE FUNNY PART OF THIS STORY IS MRS ******** SAID WE DID A GREAT JOB ON THE REPAIRS BUT JUST WANTED US TO TAKE CARE OF OTHER DAMAGES. WE ARE PROUD OF OUR RECORD WITH BBB , ONLY HAVE HAD ONE OTHER COMPLAINT AT THIS SHOP BUT IT WAS DROPPED BY THE CUSTOMER . SO TO SHOW WE ARE A GREAT CO AND THE CUSTOMER SAID DID AND WE SAID DIDNT WE **** DO THE 50/50. EVEN WITH PHOTOS THAT THE BUMPER WAS ALREADY DAMAGED I **** STILL REPAIR FOR HALF THE PRICE , SAME WITH RADIO AND DEFROSTER

The company has provided a response that meets most of the expectations of my original request that they repair damages that were not there prior to the accident. For the rear window defroster I **** contact the dealership in regards to warranty.

I would like to apologize for any trouble and inconveniences we have caused you. When we prepare an estimate, we use the impact notes provided to us by the insurance company which they receive from the vehicle owner. The impact notes provided to us by the insurance company were on the front bumper, fog lights and undercarriage. Our responsibility is to assess the stated damage areas. Any other issues have to be resolved between the insurance company and the vehicle owner. I would like to address the original issues of this complaint.
Gash on Bumper Underneath License Plate - The rear bumper was damaged when we received the car per our initial photos. If you feel that we did this damage, we **** be glad to repair the damage at our cost. The rear bumper damage was not on the original impact notes provided to us by the insurance company.
Scratches on Radio Display - We do not have any pictures of the radio display. If you are one hundred percent certain that this damage was not there before we received the vehicle, we would like to have the opportunity to have the faceplate cleaned. If this does not resolve the issue, we **** do whatever is necessary to correct the problem.
Scratches/Smudges on Left Rear Bumper - We **** be glad to buff, clean, and/or wet sand any scratches and smudges on your left rear bumper at no charge, accident related or not.
Defroster Does Not Work Properly - The rear defrost was not compromised in any way by the scope of work completed per our final repair estimate. This may be a warranty or recall issue that may need to be addressed by the dealership.
Once again, I apologize for your inconvenience.

04/24/2012Problems with Product / Service