Sands Resorts

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

06/30/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Very poor accommodations that included listening to a whistling/running toilet the entire visit and water draining from the roof onto the balcony.
My family took advantage of an early bird special offer by the resort for a stay at ocean forest villas from 6/13 -6/15. What we received was substandard accommodations. We had to listen to a whistling/running toilet the entire visit after several complaints. Two repairmen come in to bandaid the problem which didn't resolve it. This ruined our visit. No one could get any sleep because of the noise. It was terrible. I ask for a discount based on what were subjected to without being offered another room and was told no, because the room was discounted. There was no disclosure online when my reservations was made saying if you take advantage of the special you will be subjected to substandard accommodations.

Preferrably a refund or at least a 50% refund based what we were forced to endure and subjected to during what was supposed to be a relaxing extended weekend.

The business responded to the complaint:

The business stated that the consumers concerns were addressed while at the resort. As mentioned the business did sent two maintenance men up to resolve her concern. The resort was sold out so the business was unable to move the consumer to another room. The consumer was given the option of checking out and being credited for the the remaining night. The consumer refused the offer. The business did not hear anymore until the complaint was filed. The room rate was $188 total ($92/ night) for a 2 nights stay. The business is not able to refund the consumer since she stayed at the resort the full length of her reservation. As a good faith effort the business is willing to offer the consumer a discount of 30% off of a future stay at the resort.

01/16/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

We had 5 rooms w/Sands Resort in June2014.Upon arrival to the Resort we were told we had no reservations/no rooms& overcharged fees on our credit card.
We are questioning the fees that were charged for our stay. We were not able to check in on the original day of our stay as previously reserved during the time of our deposits. The management charged us various rates that were not agreed upon or discussed. Example we have the following rates: Best Available Rate, Team Nationals Rate; Group/ management Rate and An Agent Fall back Rate of which does not make sense to our group; since we were all one ;group/party. Example: We requested three bedrooms but received two bedrooms and the rates for the various two bedrooms were provided for our stay were very different in their costs and no one from accounting has been able to provide us a straight answer. When we spoke with Jaime, she had one response and **** had another response two months later. Jaime in accounting would at least return calls or emails; while **** did not communicate with us for two months until we issued a fraud refund at our bank and called their corporate office. **** would not respond to emails or telephone calls. We requested a one bedroom; but we were charged at a two bedroom rate.
We are questioning the following amounts from the Sands Resorts: 1. $248.13-Ocean Forest Plaza
2. $300.00-Ocean Forest Plaza 3. $300.00- Sand Dunes 4. $651.66- Ocean Forest Villas
5. $658.38- Sands Beach Club. In addition, to the charges outlined above we have additional fees that we have been charged from the (5) rooms from the Sands Resorts. When the accounting department was questioned about several charges; they either stated that we knew about them and we signed agreeing to them or they did not know about any other discounts, problems or refunds that were due to us involving our stay. The biggest issue here is that if the Sands Resorts front desk had not record of our reservations on file and had no record of deposits being paid in advance via their reservations department; why were we charged (5) $300.00- up front deposits for our stay of which we have credit card statements showing this and when accounting was given this information there was no response. When we asked why the various rate charge differences accounting said" well it depends on the weekend and time of year". This is not fair to the consumer or a good business practice. we were provided room size quotes/fees and then required to pay upfront deposits to secure our reservations. Furthermore, rooms were not available upon arrival, we were locked out of our rooms and the rooms were not clean and finally we are being overcharged by the Sands Resorts with no real explanation from the management; just a lot of excuses from the accounting department representative ****; who has not been available or when she is available has nothing but excuses and makes false statements that she has no knowledge of due to her not being involved from the beginning dispute process. The Sands Resorts Accounting Process, Booking/Reservations and Front Desk Business practices all need to be revised; no department communicates effectively with the other department and no one knows what the other is doing with their resort guests. This is not the consumers fault or responsibility to ensure that all parties are communicating changes and or billing concerns.

We are seeking a refund for services not provided upon arrival at the resort. In addition, we are seeking restitution for unclean rooms and being locked out of our rooms for half our stay due to the resorts front desk staff's failure to accurately find/locate our original reservation. The Sands Resorts failed to provide adequate and prompt room accommodations for our group; even after the reservations department was able to verify our original deposits paid and our original room sizes that were requested during the initial booking/reservation process. The management had given away our rooms to another group and kept us waiting until the next morning to get into our rooms. We arrived at 4pm for check -in as previously indicated on our reservations and there were no rooms available. The resort did not offer to temporarily place us or anything. This went on for hours. Finally, rooms were cleaned and members of our party were able to get into (2) of the (5) rooms around 8:30 pm for the first room and around 10:30 pm for the second room. Then (2) rooms were not made available until 2 am the following morning. Followed by the final room being available at 8 pm that evening. Even though we were finally able to get into the rooms they were not clean inside to include the following; trash; dirty tubs/sink, hair and sand everywhere, no towels, carpets unclean and dirty linen or no linen at all available and spoiled/ smelly food in the refrigerator. In addition, we were not given the rooms that we had originally requested and our party was dispersed throughout different locations of their resort. Example: We requested/reserved and paid the deposit for a three bedroom and received a two bedroom that could not accommodate the entire group. The hotel manager ***** stated that he would refund our deposits and reduce our rate due to all of the issues that our party was having and due to their front desk staff not being able to locate our reservations even though we had the copies to show them at the front desk. Our confirmations were emailed out prior to our stay following the payment of our (5) room deposits. We were not told at the check out that additional monies were due or payable; but approximately (2) days after our hotel stay additional charges began to appear upon our credit card that were not authorized or previously discussed. The accounting staff says that members of our party signed the paperwork at the sign-in; but the hotel manager stated that all rooms had to be signed for prior to receiving the keys and that he would need to make the room size and cost adjustments/refunds with the accounting department and that he would handle everything for us and that he had apologized that our rooms were given away and that we had to wait an entire day for our rooms. The following day we went out for the day and upon our return to the resort we were locked out of our rooms and were unable to change clothes for a previously booked dinner reservation at Medieval Times; we were wet and needed to bathe and change clothes from being at the Myrtle Waves Water Park and on the Beach that day. We had to wait another (2) hours to be let back into our rooms by the management. The new management on duty for the day stated that they only had us staying one night and this was totally incorrect based on our original reservations with the resort. Finally, after providing our copies of the original reservation again and having to contact their reservations department once again; our number of days for the stay was verified and we were permitted back into the rooms. Unfortunately, we have found the communication and accounting processes to be very unorganized. Example: The resort has two different accountants: **** & ***** and both have two different responses when asked for information, bills/refunds/ resort policies and general accounting practices. We received the most assistance from ********************* *******/front desk &****/ Accounting

07/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I stayed at this hotel on May 17,2014-May 18,2014. I was with a friend of mine and we decided to go to the beach and pool the 17th. When we were done i hung up my brand new $100 bathing suit and beach towel on the towel rack in the bathroom to dry. As we were packing up Sunday morning, We got a knock on the door around 930 am from the maid service asking when we were checking out, I told the lady around 10:30 or 11 am. We continue to pack, i didn't want to put a wet bathing suit and towel into my suitcase with all of the dry clothes. I forget to grab it on my way out of the room. I notice when i get home that i did not have it. I immediately call the hotel by 5 pm that evening. I was told by the front desk that there was no manager on duty and that housekeeping had left already and to call back the next day. I call back the next morning to speak to housekeeping and spoke with a woman who said she would check with the person who cleaned the room, she got back with me the next day and said they did not see it. I then call the hotel manager ***** ******* and spoke with him. He was supposed to call me back after speaking with housekeeping. I have yet to hear back from him. I call again and get another manager- I did not get his name- He says he will look into it. He does call me back and says he will leave a note for ***** to call me back. I still don't hear back. I call back several times over the next week and exactly a week later( 6/1/14) and speak with the same gentleman i spoke with the week prior who did not call me back and says he will leave another note for *****. I am very frustrated that this is how they treat their guests. This is not how you run a business. Also while i was there, we went to the hotel restaurant and was told that there were no peppers in the meal i ordered. I have a very low tolerance for any kind of pepper, other than black pepper. I started to find them in my fish dish and was then told they were in the sauce.

I would like an apology first off and for them to replace what was taken out of the room. I do understand it was my fault for leaving it in the room, however, this is why upscale hotels like this have a lost and found. **** ****** is where i got the bathing suit and they are not selling the exact one anymore.

Resorts