The Coastal Communities of North and South Carolina

BBB Accredited Business since 07/21/1993

R J S Heating & Air Inc

08/20/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: RJS failed to properly diagnose and fix an air conditioning issue after four service calls. A fifth service call was refused.
RJS performed an initial service call 5/16/12($139)for a non functioning air conditioner, and basically performed routine maintenance including adding freon. On 5/31/13 a second service call was made and RJS reported a bad circuit breaker and recommended an electrician who came out 6/3/12 to replace breaker ($123.74). The unit worked until 6/12/12. On the third service call RJS diagnosed a bad thermostat which I replaced. A fourth service call was made 6/18/12 when RJS diagnosed an improperly programmed thermostat which they reprogrammed. The unit worked for a few days. RJS offered a fifth service call which I refused. I contacted another local company who diagnosed the problem and fixed the unit. The unit has worked fine ever since. The technician who properly repaired the unit reported that he was surprised that the problem wasn't caught by RJS or their recommended electrician and also indicated the problem could have presented a fire hazard. I requested a refund from RJS for $262. Their response has been that they first need to see an invoice from the company that repaired the unit.

x
Mr. ******, According to your complaint dated July 16, 2012 you are requesting a refund for the service call we did on May 16, 2012, which has already been refunded to you as of July 27, 2012 from the email request on July 24th that you send to me. I see that you filed your complaint on July 25 after I requested on July 24th a copy of the invoice or explanation of what the other company fix on your system. I didn't mind refunding you the money that you had paid to RJS, even thought we we tried to solve you problem and only charged you for the first initial visit, but to turn in a complaint to the BBB is a little over the top. According to your last email on July 28, 2012, thanking me for the refund,lets me know that you received your refund. I still feel I have the right to know what the other company did to get the system back to proper working order. The second part of the refund was not paid directly to RJS. As I expressed in my last email the electrician said the breaker would not allow current to go through to the air handler as my technician stated and once it was replaced the air handler came up and ran. Obviously you had several different issues with you system. But being you will not share that information with anyone, it is hard to say what the real problem really was. After refunding your $139.00 you requested, I feel we have no obligation to you.

Heating & Air Conditioning