BBB Accredited Business since 10/18/2007

Harlow Services, Inc.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

12/17/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Billing without rendering services.
I asked a friend if he had known anyone that service HVAC and he said that he would call his friend. He called Harlow services and described my issue. He gave them my address and phone number and said that they would call me to set up a appointment. However without contacting me at all they came to my home when I was not there. I am now getting bills stating tat I owe them $80.00 for coming out to my home. I called the business and spoke with Ms.***** ****** I explained to her that I never made an appt with them and wanted to know why they are charging me for services not rendered. She was very rude and told me that if I didn't pay them that she would sent this account to collections.

Leave me alone. Stop calling and sending bogus bills.

I believe this is just a complete misunderstanding. The problem here is we have documented information in my office which shows were were in communication with the customer. She was informed that we would be there on a certain date at a certain time, with a 30 minute courtesy call. When the technicians showed up as scheduled, there was another AC company there. Now this by no means relinquishes the customer of her responsibility of the service call. When the customer called my office, I was shocked to have my ears assaulted with vulgarities that would embarrass a seasoned sailor. I listened in on the conversation the customer had with the billing specialist. I was flabbergasted. All she had to do was call and cancel the appointment. This bill is owed and needs to be paid.

*** *****
**** ****** ******** ****
*** ** **** (ret) ***

Thank you, I will keep a record of this just in case some mysterious bills appear again. Be blessed.

Harlow Services has been in business for more than 20 years. During that time we received appx. 7 complaints. That is why we have an A+ rating. Not many companies can boast this. Now to the matter at hand, there is no way in the whole world that Harlow Services randomly picked this customer out of a phone book , just for the heck of it. There is no way we magically manufactured her name, telephone, cell phone, and address out of thin air. Anyone with some level of intelligence would be able to understand that. This business would not have lasted as long as it has if that was the case. I am disappointed. Our policy is if we are scheduled to show and we do, then there is a service charge.....this takes place if the consumer is not there or if another company is there....trust me , it happens. People do this all the time. I am disappointed in the route that America has taken lately. People in general refuse to take responsibility for their actions, and want things given to them....well the truth of the matter is there is no solution to this problem. The customer does not think she owes, we do think so. Her $80.00 will not make or break this company. The principle of the matter is the catch. Harlow Services will continue to offer great service, and great care to our valued, honest customers. The world is a circle, what goes around , comes around. We must treat others like we want them to treat us. With that, this situation is closed.

*** *****
********** ******** ****
*** ** ********* ***

05/01/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

New Install of complete heating and cooling system,Shoddy install
as of 4-2-2012 the 1 day job has turned into 2 weeks plus ,everything from bad installation,to service promised,too defective part or no part furnished, as of today's date found large hole made in underside of home where air is pouring out when unit running, as well as a passage way for rodents and bugs to come in.
promised a filter, not seen yet 2 weeks ,promised new t-stat not seen yet.Final inspection was to be yesterday ,not seen yet or no call. Last time I spoke with contractor he stated to me to let them finish their job ,before complaining. this was just a replacement not a complete install.
also installers did not clean up inside after their work, not say they were leaving and found no Hot water , wires had been cut by someone and wired nutted together and came loose, although I cannot say they did this but no one else has ever been in panel box since home was new

completion of job CORRECTLY and warranty info provided

This is my response to Mr. complaint. First of all, the install passed Cumberland County Inspections Department inspection. This is based on North Carolina State Mechanical Code. We addressed every single contention that Mr. had from level of the indoor unit to the location of the outdoor unit (moved it 3 times) to the "hole" in supply trunk, which we sealed for him. Even a brand new heat pump thermostat wasn't operating properly and we replaced that. Over all, Mr. is 100% satisfied with our work and is very happy with us and our company and has signed all the necessary papers. We are sad that Mr. entered his complaint with the BBB before we had a chance to satisfy his issues.
, Service Manager

01/22/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

OVERCHARGED ESTIMATE,NOT FIXED RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. CAME 4 TIMES. LEFT WITH UNIT STILL NOT REPAIRED AS HE SAID IT WAS TO BE.
(name) DOES WORK FOR A HEATPUMP DEALER. HE CAME THE FIRST TIME SAID THE COMPRESSOR WAS BAD. GAVE ME A $750.00 ESTIMATE. ORDERED PART WAITED ALMOST 2 WEEKS FOR PART TO COME IN. CHARGED ME $965.00 TO DO WORK NOTHING EXTRA ON 12-14-2012. GOT UP THE NEXT MORNING HEAT PUMP WAS ICED UP. CALLED (name) HAD AN EXCHANGE OF WORDS.HE CAME OUT AND HE HAD LEFT A CONNECTOR LOOSE. IT WAS LOW IN FREON BECAUSE OF THIS. SAID DEFROST BOARD BAD. ORDERED A NEW ONE FROM DISTRIBUTOR WAITED 10 DAYS FOR THIS AND THEY HAD SENT THE WRONG ONE. ORDERED ANOTHER ONE AND I CALLED THE DISTRIBUTOR TO FIND OUT WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME IN. NEVER HEARD FROM (name). HAD TO CONTACT HIM TWICE. HE WAS SUPPOSE TO COME ON 12-28-2012, HIS RECEPTIONIST CALLED AND ASKED COULD HE COME THE 29. I ASKED HER TO HAVE (name) CALL ME BECAUSE I HAD SOMETHING TO DO THAT DAY. HE NEVER DID. MY WIFE CALLED AND HE RETURNED A CALL LATER THAT MORNING AND SAID THAT HE WOULD BE HERE AT 1 PM. WHEN HE ARRIVED I ASKED HIM WHY HE DIDN'T CALL LIKE I ASKED THE RECEPTIONIST TO HAVE HIM DO. HE SAID HE NEVER GOT THE MESSAGE. WE HAD AN EXCHANGE IN WORDS AND HE TOLD ME THAT I COULD GET SOMEONE ELSE TO FIX THE UNIT. HE LEFT SPINNING WHEELS OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY.

MY UNIT IS STILL NOT BEEN FIXED TO THE PROBLEMS THAT (name) SAID THEREFORE I WANT SOME KIND OF REFUND FOR THE WORK THAT WAS DONE.

I have found that, after years of customer service in the HVAC field, Retail, and Food Service, customers tend to write information in anger and totally misrepresent the facts of the matter. First of all the estimate was just that... a verbal estimation of the cost. Nothing was written. The unit needed approximately 13 lbs. of R-22 refrigerant. Now lets do the math. There is not a HVAC business in North Carolina that sells R-222 for less than $60.00 per pound. AT that price alone his freon for this job would be $780.00. YOU'RE WELCOME! The job called for a removal of the existing compressor, which involves cutting out of the damaged parts. This action requires the use of an Oxy-Acetelene torch. The system must be completely cleared of freon before any work can begin, and afterwards, taken into a deep vacuum. This takes time and skill. The job WAS done right the first time. We replaced the compressor on his ANTIQUATED unit. State law dictates a FILTER must be added to the older systems if you change out the compressor. They are not free. The unit had a slow leak. Therefore the Freon level was low. Freon is not FREE. The technician did not even charge full price for the extra freon. The secondary problem that arose was a simple defrost board. I say this in complete earnest, **** services is NOT A PARTS STORE< AND WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER HOW LONG IT TAKES PARTS TO ARRIVE!!!!!EVER!! If they send a wrong part, we have no say in the matter. Mr ****** does NOT WORK FOR A HEATPUMP DEALER, that is another falsehood. Mr **** has been in this business for more than 20 years, I have a degree in HVAC and I was there. The customer was upset after we installed the compressor because it only took us three hours. He thought we should work longer. He was very CONDESCENDING and rude. Mr. **** just tried to explain that the estimate did not include the extra freon and the added filter. The consumer was just not wanting to hear that. He wanted to put us in our PLACE. When we scheduled him for the 28th between the hours of 10-1pm all was fine on the 27th. On the actual date of service HE changed the parameters and told us to come later. We were already in the neighborhood. So we shuffled the schedule and other jobs took longer and were out of town. He then said he wanted us to come to his trailer after we finished the jobs in Lumberton, around 7pm. We then offered to come out on Saturday and take care of the problem. He refused service. The wife called and stated that we could come out at 1pm 29th. When Mr. **** arrived he was unceremoniously attacked and berated by the consumer (husband). Rather than allow the situation to elevate, Mr. **** chose to exit the premises expediently. The original problem, the COMPRESSOR, is fine. No refund there. The board needs to be changed out, but no one in **** Services will be talked to in the manner that this consumer did. We acted with respect and expect respect in return. In his original statement the customer states that he asked the receptionist things, another falsehood, he DEMANDED BRUSQUELY. This type of behavior is totally unacceptable in our society. When we arrived at his trailer we had no idea that his rude, sophomoric behavior would escalate into a complaint filled with falsehoods and slander. We did the job and tried to help with another malfunction of the system. That's all.

I WRITE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS JUST EASIER. **** SERVICES CAN SAY THIS AND SAY THAT; BOTTOM LINE; I WAS OVERCHARGED FOR THE INSTALLATION(**** SAID $250.00 FOR INSTALLATION. ABRAZING IS COUNTED IN INSTALLATION.AGAIN I HAVE WITNESSES THAT **** SAID $40.00 FOR THE FREON NOT $60.00.HE ALSO SAID IT TOOK 11 TO 12 LBS. NOT 13(GUESS HE WAS WRONG AGAIN. NOW THERE WAS NOT A LEAK ON MY UNIT WHEN HE CAME OUT HERE THE FIRST TIME; STAIGHT OUT UNTRUTH. **** LEFT A VALVE LOOSE WHEN HE COME AND PUT IN THE COMPRESSOR. HE LEFT ME IN LIMBO WHEN HE WAS GONNA SHOW, WOULD NOT RETURN MY CALLS AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THE LIST OF COMPLAINTS ON THE BBB WEBSITE I AM NOT ALONE. ENOUGH SAID.

Anger is expressed in the computer world when a person WRITES IN ALL CAPS!!!!! So this first statement should generally let you know the type of personality we have to deal with. The bottom line is this. The STYLECREST company called us to do some warranty work. The secondary problem is one of a defrost board. Just because the consumer thinks that we left something loose, which is not the cause of the defrost board malfunction, we seem to be at an impasse. Please try to get a compressor changed out for less than we did it for you. Get back to me when you find a better deal,...you won't. The compressor was fixed. That is what we were hired for and that is what we did. End of story. The system calls for 13pounds of Freon, but we only charged for 10. We actually had to add the freon when we fixed the compressor to bring it up to the correct charge level because there was a pre existing leak. When Mr. Garvey returned he CHECKED the Service Valves as a precaution. As we had no interaction with them when we changed the compressor Mr. Garvey just checked as a precaution. ALL our seals and brazing points were intact and leak free. The system was actually freezing up due the defrost board not functioning properly. This is the only reason for the problem. Now do we have an understanding? Even if the freon was leaking out after we left.....it would not have caused this problem. Your unit froze up due to a faulty defrost board. OK? I mean, I really don't know what to say here. Stylecrest covers the compressor, but not any extra parts, labor or freon. We are truly sorry that this information was lost to the customer, but we are not responsible for misunderstandings with warranty companies. In conversation with the manager of Stylecrest we were informed that the customer had called and AGERESIVVELY, DISRESPECTFULYY, confronted them as well. We are in agreement with STYLECREST. We sent the parts back to them and have closed this account. As of now **** services will no longer be available to this customer.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems