In The Coastal Communities of North and South Carolina

BBB Accredited Business since 04/16/2008

Down South Heating & A/C Repair Service Inc

08/02/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: Payed $418 Saturday, June 30 for A/C repair. A/C failed Monday, July 2 A.M.
Payed $418 Saturday, June 30 for A/C repair. A/C failed Monday, July 2 in the A.M. Called owner back, came out, said there were more problems, which he did not fix, got irate, cussed me, and I told him to leave my property. I would not recommend this man to any body. Said compressor could be bad, but $240 of freon would not have cooled my house if compressor was bad. Man did not like me questioning him. He got mad. End of story.

System was froze up, heat was put on to defrost system. Added 4 pounds of freon to the system. System was operation normal at this time on 06/30/2012. Advised that the system has a freon leak and no time frame on how long freon with last. Second note was compressor was very noisy, which is a sign that is was going bad. System is in poor condition, need to consider replacing system which is 20 years old. Advised her that it is in such bad shape, he would not recommend repair, but consumer had no money to replace the system. Got dispatched out there on 07/02/2012. Husband was upset and company told him that they were told it was going to go bad. Appears that the compressor went bad, which was noted on the paperwork. Husband was irate and asked you to leave, and so the company left the property.

If the compressor was bad the company should have refused to put $240 worth of freon in the system and said it would not be good business practice to mislead a consumer and repair a unit that is not repairable.We were trying to avoid replacing the unit but when another ac repair man came out he said it was a waste of money to repair the unit and he didn't want to rip us off so he would not repair the unit. We have since replaced the unit. The behavior of the repair man ( when he was questioned ) was the biggest problem, and he must have felt like we had the money because we were able to pay him $ 418.

via phone:
I don't know why he is not satisfied. His wife called and said they had no AC. We recommended a new unit the compressor sounded like it was going bad. They didn't have the money at that time. The unit is 20 years old.
He yelled at me and told me to get off his property.
I did not mislead him. Everything was writing which he signed.
Based on his comments he must have gotten the money from somewhere because he mentioned he got a new unit.
He still needs to pay me for the work I did.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems