Are all of your services free?

Most of our services are free. We provide Business Reviews to the general public and handle consumer complaints free of charge. Our BBB AUTO LINE® program is also free. A small charge to both the business and consumer may apply in regard to some of our mediation and arbitration services.

How can I file a complaint?

You can file your complaint online (which is quickest) or mail your complaint to: BBB, 220 S. River Ridge Cir, Burnsville, MN 55337. Be sure to include your contact information, as well as contact information for the company your complaint concerns.

Does my complaint have to be in writing?

Yes, to pursue your complaint, we will need you to submit it in writing. We don’t need all the details, but provide enough information so that both we and the company will understand the crux of the problem as well as your desired resolution.

Do I have to submit my complaint in writing?

Yes. Since you’re the one who experienced the problem, no one else has the perspective you have. If we took your complaint over the phone, our concern is that we might misconstrue critical details, potentially confusing the situation further and likely increasing the amount of time the company would need to investigate your concerns.

What happens once I submit my complaint?

We’ll forward that complaint on to the company with a letter from us describing our process. In many cases, the company will respond within 2-4 weeks, though it can take up to six weeks before a response is received.

Can you make the company do what I ask them to do?

No. The BBB is not an enforcement agency. However, most companies respond to complaints we forward to their attention and make a good faith effort to resolve customer concerns.

What happens if the company doesn’t respond to my complaint?

We will close the complaint as unanswered and it will have an impact on the company’s BBB rating. Other potential customers will see that the company failed to respond to a previous complaint.

What if the company doesn’t resolve my complaint?

A BBB Mediation Coordinator will review your case; it will then be closed appropriately and be factored in to help determine the company's BBB rating.

Does the company have to be a BBB Accredited Business for you to handle my complaint?

The BBB accepts – and pursues – complaints whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business.

Do I have to contact the business before filing a complaint with the BBB?

Yes, we strongly encourage you to first attempt to resolve complaints directly with the company. However, the BBB will not reject a complaint if a consumer has not taken this step.