BBB Accredited Business since 06/10/1998

Lindsay Windows, LLC

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

06/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Windows are good but screen don't fit good without plastic clips.
I purchase the windows thru ************************* in 2011, ************. In 2012 I contacted ***** that the screen did not fit properly and were letting in bugs. The owner of the window company came to my house and put in plastic clips to hold the screens, about six clips per screen. This year I wanted to wash the screen so ************ had the company send me some more clips. I tried to wash two window and screens and I could not get the clips back in. I call the copany customer service and they said there was nothing they. They said I should not take them out to clean with a brush and vac. If you don't take out the screen then you have to take out the window. If they are saleing the window then the screens should fit. They just said that was the way they come and it wasn't there problem.

All I would like is screens that fit properly without try to put in plastic clips, to keep the bugs out.

I have left message with homeowner. Since we made the widows in their home, we have come with a new design for retaining the screen. We will order new screens for the 4 windows which are affected and replace with the updated screen and screen retention system which allows easy screen insertion and removal.

10/02/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The screens on my windows have gaps on both sides which allows insects to enter. It's wide enough for large moths and wasps to get in.
1.Purchase date:9/9/10
2.Model # 3301ss
3.Order # *****
4.Payment $2,280.00 Paid in full on completion of installation of 4 windows on 9/23/13
5.Lifetime warranty
The gaps are on the sides of all the window screens. I didn't complain about it until a wasp stung my wife. We've had to keep the windows closed most of the time. I called *************************, Mn. They were the company that installed the windows. They inspected the screens and called Lindsay Windows on 6/6/13. An agent named **** from Lindsay Windows called and made an appointment for 10:30AM 6/18/13. He did not show up and didn't call to cancel the appointment. He called back on 6/27/13 and said he would swing by after work around 4PM. He again never showed up or called. He called again on 7/2/13 and 7/11/13 and made appointments to come out but never showed. I called the company on 7/18/13 and talked to a woman who worked in ****'s office. I told her of my problem and she said she would check it out and get back to me. She did not call, so I called her back on 8/8/13 and she said she would have to check with their engineer for a solution and call me back. She did not call back. On 8/21/13 I called twice and left messages, but nobody called back. On 8/22/13 I called again and talked to *****. She said she would talk to their specialist and promised to call back. She did not call back so I am contacting you for help with this problem. It seems this company does not respond to complaints. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank You.

I was hoping there was an insert or something I could install on the sides of the screens. If there isn't an insert, another type of screen without gaps on the sides would be fine.

09/24/2012Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We recently had new windows installed and are noticing paint peeling on several windows. We are not able to get Lindsay to respond to this issue.
The windows were ordered on April 5, 2012 and the installation was completed on June 6, 2012. Around the middle of June we started noticing the paint peeling on several windows and were told by the contractor to contact Lindsay. I contacted ************ with Linsday on June 18, 2012 and on July 24, 2012 (after many delayed responses) was told to speak to ********** who I was told is one of the owners. I have tried to reach ********** on several occasions and have left messages but he is not returning my phone calls.

Repair as necessary.

My original response did not go through.
This is the first we have heard of this complaint. I received a phone call from the consumer and tried to call. I don't think I had the right phone number since I did not receive a return phone call. When I got the complaint, I called that phone number and got a message but I am not sure if it is the consumer in this complaint.

Mr ***** told us about this issue. We said that the paint will never stay on the durometer of the glazing bead because the durometer is silicone and paint will not adhere to it. The solution is to cut the durometer off the glazing bead. This does not negatively affect the performance of the window or the glazing bead. This is just for cosmetic purposes. We will do this if this is what the customer wants. I think the contractor told him this because that is what we told the contractor.

If we had known what the customer wants, we will provide this. This is unnecessary to go through the BBB because we always work with our customers. What do you want us to do? Is this a correct phone number?

08/10/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

To whom this may concern: I'm writing to let you know about the service or lack thereof about two companies Lindsay Windows and Doors, and CRI INC.
02/22/12 **************** a representative from Custom Remodelers Inc. came to my home to sell Windows and a patio door made by a company named Lindsay. A contract was signed and a down payment was provided
04/11/12 we called the sales rep to confirm the appointment that was previously set. We neither received a call back that day nor got a courtesy call.
4/12/12. That day ***** and ***** were at my home to install the windows and patio door. After CRI was finished with the installation, we had noticed that 2 screens did not fit properly in the picture window and the lock also was not to my standards. The patio door was not properly aligned and therefore the lock was not able to work functionally. I see this as a security and safety issue. I called **** to report the issue the same night. Also asked for perment and they never provided.
4/13/12 ***** at 10am in the morning showed up unannounced, after we asked politely, that he call the night before to confirm when he would be arriving. ***** had come into the house and was supposed to adjust the tightness on the locks and that was not completed to standards.
04/16/12 **** was notified by me to see when the screens and the patio door would be fixed. He had told me that he was ordering them.
04/30/12The contract stated that we would have to pay by 04/30/12. With hesitation, (due to the work not being done) I paid the amount in full.
05/04/12 **** was called again to make him aware that there was water in the tracks of our windows. I also questioned the whereabouts of our screens.
05/09/12 City of Ramsey was notified by me on why the inspector had not come out to inspect my windows. After talking to **** she told me there would be two inspections, first when windows are being placed in. Second after the work was completed.
05/17/12 ***** called to say he said they no longer made the screens for my new window. He told me that he could improvise the screens to make them work. Due to my dismay, I then called John Royce, the President of Lindsay, he guaranteed me new screens. ***** from CRI was called and made aware of the deceptive behavior from *****.
5/24/12 finally, on May 24, 2012 a meeting was set up with the building inspector, **** the representative from Lindsay and the General Manager from CRI to show them my complaints. That day I was told the Representive did not follow instructions, written on the permit. **** stated: "I will return in two weeks with 3 screens and the patio door will be fixed."
Today is July 2, 2012 I still have not received a phone call or received my 3 screens and my patio is still unaligned and locks are still not functional.
Thanks for taking the time to read this complaint and hopefully in the future they will not treat others like we were treated.
(*************************) customers
*************

I am surprised that a complaint was filed. We have been working to resolve the complainants issues for several weeks. Our salesperson as well as a representative of the company that sold the windows have been to their home numerous times.

We respond to all complaints and do not need the BBB to "encourage" us to resolve complaints. We do appreciate having the BBB available to listen to customers and attempt to get resolution.

President

I am surprised that a complaint was filed. We have been working to resolve the complaint issues for several weeks. Our salesperson as well as a representative of the company that sold the windows have been to their home numerous times. As of last week, I think the only issue remaining is some screens which will be delivered next week. According to our sources of information, the complainant is now satisfied. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I had not seen the first complaint and just saw the second notice yesterday. I have been speaking to the ********* regarding this matter as well as our salesperson and the company from which the windows were purchased. We respond to all complaints and do not need the BBB to "encourage" us to resolve complaints. WE do appreciate having the BBB available to listen to customers and attempt to get resolution.

President

07/21/2014Problems with Product / Service
04/27/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I had purchased 13 windows from this company through ********************** back in 7/26/14. I finally had received the windows on October 28th 2014 (except the largest one, this one did not arrive until 11/24/14. I have been having icing,moisture and air seepage issues (excessively on some). I have been in contact with one of the owners **** and a manager *** on several occasions about this issue. ********************** had them contact me the first time. Lyndsay was going to have a technician come by on his way to Duluth and look at my windows. The tech never called or showed up. I called and informed *** of this and we set a date of November 20th. The tech no showed nor did he call to cancel. I again contacted Lyndsay and complained. That is when the owner **** called me on 11/10/2014, **** and I discussed the situation at hand, he implied that I did not know what I was talking about until I told him of my qualifications. That is when he told me he would get back to me and have another tech call me to set an appointment, NO CALL.Today 12/3/14 **** at ********************** asked if a tech from Lyndsay called me to set up an appointment on 11/2/14 to come out and look at the windows, again NO CALL.
Product_Or_Service: New Windows
Order_Number: n/a
Account_Number: n/a

This would have to be a lengthy negotiation.

I called and left a message at ************ to let Mr. ********* know that our sales person **** ***** will be calling him on Dec 12 to set up a time to look at his windows. In my discussion with Mr *********, I indicated that moisture on the glass is a result of humidity in the home, convction, air flow and outside temperature. When it is below 10 degrees outside and the humidity is 36% or more there will be condensation. The windows do not cause the condensation but it is a factor of the conditions listed. Mr. ***** will review the issues with Mr. *********.

Per our conversation on 11/10/14 i stated to *** that there are drafts coming from the window and that the moisture is high up and along the sides of the window, indicating that there is not enough or none at all , argon gas. This was also discussed with **********(owner)
**** and I agreed that a tech needed to come out and look at the windows on a cold day below freezing to look at the issue at hand. I made several calls *** and I got no returned calls, or he said he did not know why the tech did not call me.
Per my conversation with **** (owner) he stated that he was having the same issue with his own product in his home. I also stated to both that a home with hardwood floors, the humidity levels should be between 35% and 55% to prevent shrinkage and cracking, I am at the low end of this range 40%. The amount of moisture on the windows is not just a little, and I was told to adjust my humidity levels for there windows.
I also informed him that i was a home inspector. That a good window should not do this when it is 10 deg., in the amount that it is doing it. I asked him to re-affirm there process of inserting the gas into the window. He stated that they use a needle to inject the gas. I asked him if they use a second needle to vacuum out the air, he said no, the amount we use is sufficient. He also stated that he was going to look into this issue and have a tech come out and look at them, this was on 11/10/14, I have not heard a thing since then until I received a call late last night and i listened to the voice mail this morning that Bert was going to call me.
It is clear to me that they do not want to rectify the situation by putting this off for well over a month. It takes putting a complaint on the BBB to get anywhere.

Lindsay Windows agrees to pay $200 if Mr. ********* accepts the slider in the living room, will replace the casement sash in the kitchen window with a triple pane sash at no charge and will place additional weather strip pads on the 4 double hung windows. This will satisfy Lindsay Windows responsibility and Mr ********* will sign off that this is acceptable. If this is acceptable to Mr. *********, let **** or myself know when we can order the sash, send the $200 and place additional weather strip/pads on the 4 double hung windows.

I will accept Lyndsay Windows offer to
- Replace Kitchen window sash with a triple pane window with as good or better quality window at no charge.

-Replace weather strip pads on 4 double hung windows.
Go ahead and order the sash and weather striping!

I, however, do NOT want the window in the living room, I want the window that I originally ordered, Single Slide Window.

This agreement does not clear*********************** of their responsibility and workmanship.

Windows