D.C. Annis Sewer, Inc

________________

February 20, 20147
?geau 220 South Riverridge Circle Burnsville, Mn 55337
To Whom It May Concern:
My name is ***********, I am a retired widow on a fixed income. I state that information to inform you that times are hard and money is hard to come by.
On Tuesday, February 18th, l called and scheduled an appointment for a clogged kitchen sink resulting in Water in the basement. A technician came out and after two or three tries the sink was draining. He was Very professional with a pleasant attitude. We talked about a leak, but didn't find anything prior to his leaving. Upon his leaving he gave me a receipt which also served as a Warranty. He stated "this is your receipt and serves as a Warranty and it's good for 30 days. If you have any problems just give me a call."
I called in and I was told that the technician who previously came out was not available as he was with another customer. The lady answering the phone said she would send out another technician. At that point, I feel if there was going to be additional charges, she should have informed me at that time. The second technician, ****, came at 2:20 and left at 2:30. He turned on the Water in the sink, Walked down stair With a small flashlight, and couldn't see anything and didn't do anything. I then said let's get the same` situation that happened when I did the dishes after the lst technician had left. Then there Was Water Corning down. He said We don't cover leaks and suggested that it was a busted pipe. He then informed me that there was a $85 service charge. I was shocked. I had just paid $125 to the first technician a few hours earlier. **** Was there 10 minutes. I've done dishes and there is no further Water leakage to date, something is going on but We're not sure what it is. I was thinking that there was a clog further down the drain line, thus the reason I called in. The second technician ****, told me that he Won't honor and is not responsible for what the first technician said.

I have called the office twice, and to date no one has contacted me. I would not have called back in for service, except the lst technician said if I have any problems just give him a call. Seeing I had just gave him $125, and then to pay $85 to **** an unfriendly technician, is just unconscionable. **** came in the door saying sign right here, I said for what, Why do you need my signature and you haven't done anything, he said you're giving me permission to Work, I can't do anything Without your signature.
The company is D.C. Annis Sewer, Inc, ***********************, Burnsville, Mn 55337
I saw the Better Business emblem, the only reason I choose them. Hopefully there is something you can do.

Thank you for the information. We will be contacting this customer and giving them a refund as there was a mistake on our end with the communication from a new dispatcher at the time. We will reach out to *********** and address the refund accordingly and mail it to her. If you have any questions, let me know..

07/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Drain clearing service resulted in broken main sewer line. DC Annis attempting to collect fees for services not completed.
Chronologically, this is the order of events of the day.

1. I contacted DC Annis plumbing via their website to inquire about water jetting my line due to a low spot 40 feet out which has historically caused a slow flowing drain
2. I was put in contact with **** who recommended that I not do water jetting and instead use a different type of blade in a traditional clear which would remove additional waste from the line.
3. Under ****'s advice, I arranged to have a technician come to my home between 5 and 9
4. The technician, *****, arrived at my house at approximately 6:45 pm with the recommended blade.
5. ***** attempted with a great deal if difficulty to get the blade into my line through the clear out port in my basement.
6. After a great deal of pushing and pulling, he was able to force the blade into the main line and around what appeared to be a few corners
7. He was then able to go for about 3-4 minutes before becoming stuck.
8. ***** and I both attempted to pull the line out.
9. After giving up on being able to pull it out, ***** called for help.
10. A second, more senior tech arrived about 45-60 minutes later (during which time no progress was made).
11. The second tech, ***** and I all tried pulling the line out together with no success.
12. The second tech then attempted to use the machine to pull out the line - again with no success
13. After failing to remove the line, the second tech retrieved a camera to put into the line.
14. The camera showed that the blade had cut a second hole at the seam in the pipe (at 11 ft - as opposed to where the known issue was at 40 ft) and continued to bore into the ground past the pipe (meaning that all the effort to put the blade into the pipe broke it and all the drilling and attempts to remove beyond that simply made the problem worse.
15. The second tech then began the process of "spinning off" the blade
16. Once the blade was spun off and the line clearing machine was removed, he put the camera back in (again at 11 ft) to see a hole in the ground going out of the pipe the full diameter of the pipe.
17. We marked where this was and the second tech then reassembled the plumbing, checked for leaks and left.

Important notes: During the process of trying to remove the old blade, other plumbing pieces of both the main and kitchen drains were torqued severely - causing both clean and dirty water to spill all over my basement floor - a mess I get the pleasure of cleaning up next.

I was informed that I was being billed an extra 100.00 for the second tech and camera service on top of the 170.00 for the drain clear-out.

I did not get a drain clear out - I got a damaged drain and the ability to see the damage after the fact - essentially I gained a 3000.00 plus problem out of this visit.

In addition to this, DC Annis ran my credit card for 269.00 without my authorization to do so. In fact, I instructed them NOT to run my credit card. I consider this fraud.

I desire to never again do business with DC Annis plumbing and owe them 0 dollars. I believe they are at fault for the condition of my sewer line. As such, I simply wish to NOT be billed for services performed in this matter as I did not receive a line clear out and their camera was used only to help them retrieve their equipment.

Hi ****,
As I have been in the hospital and now at home on hospice care, I was informed by our consultant that you needed an explanation in writing so our accreditation would not be suspended or hampered. I will give you my response below as this has been reviewed by our team and his explanation of chronological events have been thoroughly investigated internally.

1. The customer called inquiring about "water jetting." Very rarely, if ever do we do this for a residence because of the detrimental effects it could cause. This is predominately a commercial service only with the exception of rare occasions.

2. We always use spring loaded blades. In this case we used a 6 inch blade that would clear the pipes out completely. This type of blade is the top of the line in this industry and has not damaged a pipe in the past. He had a damaged pipe prior to our service and our blade caught onto the pipe.

3. He did sign a contract for us to use the above equipment acknowledging that his pipes were in good shape, which they were not. j

4. Ultimately, we waived $189 for the camera and an additional $75 for the second technician. Per the contract, we are within our rights to charge this as it was the services contracted for and ultimately what we provided. We did this in good faith as these occurences are very rare with our company as we take pride in diligent craftsmanship and want to enhance customer experiences to warrant future business.

5. We did not "just charge" his credit card. We were given verbal authorization over the phone to do so. This is a common procedure for new customers as he or other new customers do not have an account set up with us yet and we will not extend them a line of credit until one is earned.

In closing, we did the services that we were asked to do and did not act unethically in any way shape or form. Please confirm receipt and update and if you have any further questions, you will have to email me as I am on hospice care for the next couple of weeks.. Thank you for your understanding and my apologies for the delay in getting this to you..

Regards,
**** ******* (owner DC Annis)

Hi ****,

I am sad to hear of ****'s condition; however I feel the need to correct inaccuracies in his statement in the case that he decides to attempt to collect additional fees related to this incident. I will address his points according to the numbering he utilized.

1. This is accurate.

2. They did use a 6 inch blade. Prior to attempting to put that blade into our sewer line, I informed the technician that all other vendors providing this service had used a 4 inch blade due to the diameter of our line. He ignored this and proceeded with the larger blade. In order to put this blade into the line, he had to forcefully and repeatably back off and ram the blade into the line. This is where I believe the damage to the line occurred.

3. I did sign the contract allowing them to do the work knowing that my line was in good condition due to the fact that I had a camera in my line 6 month earlier showing no damage - especially at the point where the break occurred. This camera showed a low spot 40-60 feet away from my home which would accumulate debris.

4. I can appreciate "waiving fees" for services provided; however in this case the camera and second technician were used for the sole purpose of retrieving their tool from my sewer line. I received no report from the camera and it did not go beyond 11 ft (where they broke the line) out from my home (it is 100 ft to the street). Waiving a fee for a second technician and camera to retrieve their gear while leaving behind the damage they caused does not demonstrate "good faith".

5. I did not sign a credit card receipt when the technicians left my home. I requested a call from the manager or vendor. When I did speak to him on the phone, he was rude and condescending - raising his voice and basically telling my that the line was broken before they ever got there. He cannot prove this anymore than I can prove that is wasn't; however it was a blatant attempt by a contractor to bully a homeowner into paying for poor services. Again - I reiterated that I DID NOT authorize DC Annis sewer company to charge my card. They went ahead and did it anyway.

In closing - DC Annis Sewer company damaged my sewer line - to date this damage has cost me in excess of $6,000 dollars in repair bills as the entire line had to be redone. This repair also resulted in the need to remove sections of concrete walkways. Fortunately, as a former concrete worker, I was able to redo these sections with only the cost of the concrete. As such I was able to get another $2000 of work done for only the cost of the concrete ($500). I have an open dispute into the charges with DC Annis with American Express. My desire is to never deal with them again. I believe that this should be a matter of record with the Better Business Bureau as I believe the purpose of the BBB is to allow for the public record of the performance of vendors. DC Annis may have many happy customers; however all customer experiences should be available and considered by home owners prior to selecting a vendor. I gave DC Annis every opportunity to simply walk away and leave me and my damaged home alone by simply not attempting to charge me for the "work" (i.e. damage) they performed while at my home. I did not ask that they pay for any of the repairs. With that said, and knowing the situation, they went ahead and charged me 269 dollars for the damage they did - expecting me to accept it. I do not accept this and, would never treat a customer in this manner.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

************

Regards,
**** ******* (owner DC Annis)

1. This is accurate.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

**** ******

Here is the response..

1. Accurate

2. Again, the inside is generally 4 inches and goes to 6 inches outside. We use a 6 inch blade to make sure that the "entire line" is cleared out which is best for the customer so they do not have to call another company back shortly thereafter to clean the line again. We use a spring loaded blade- (which is top of the line and a standard practice) in this industry and have not had any problems in the past.

3. In regards to having a camera in his line 6 months ago, a lot can happen in 6 months where things can happen to the line. It is very common to have a lead connection at 11 feet- (which we see often) and things can be wrong with the pipe.

4. In regards to waiving the camera fee, keep in mind the camera fee is for "investigative purposes" to see what is going on in the line. We did not need the camera to retrieve our equipment as it appeared to get caught on the already damaged line. The purpose for the camera was to see what was going on in the line and for investigative purposes to help us see what was going on in there. Again, we were never given a copy of the camera view that he claims was done 6 months ago. It was presented to him as an option prior to service to have a camera inspection done prior to our work to see the line which he did not do as he claims that he line was in good shape. There is no evidence to prove this. Our information concludes that we did not damage his line. Our question is, why would he have us do the work if he had another company come out 6 months earlier and do the camera? Being they had all of the information, wouldn't it be common practice to call them back to finish the job that they essentially started?

5. That is correct. Mr. ****** did sign a credit card receipt when he left because he gave us pre-authorization via the telephone before coming out there and also gave us his credit card number to do so. The only way that we could have gotten his credit card number was from him and this happened when he gave us authorization over the telephone which we explained the procedure very clear to him.

Elaborating further, we certainly question the validity of this as he openly admitted having a bad spot in his line that ranged from 40-60 feet. In knowing that, why would you want us to clear out the line up to 100 feet as asked to do so knowing the risk. In regards to replacing the entire line, that was your option to do so. It is a very common practice to replace sections- (which you could have done at the 11ft mark) as noted earlier.. Another option that you could have taken was to have us do a camera shot of it- (for investigative purposes) and then we would have known for sure whether or not the line was damaged rather than just taking your word for it as all of our information suggests that the pipe had prior damage.

6. In closing, there will not be any additional fees for Mr. ****** from our company and by no means are we trying to "bully" him into paying additional charges. He paid the appropriate fees- (which were pre authorized over the phone with his credit card) and we waived the additional fees as discussed earlier. We will not be doing service for Mr. ****** in the future and there will be no additional charges from our company if that is his concern.

Although I appreciate the fact that DC Annis sewer company is done trying to collect money from me, I would like to clarify the following:

Point 2. I had multiple line clear outs done over the years - all with 4" blade and NEVER had an issue. I was told be several previous technicians that this was the largest blade they could put into my sewer line. I passed this onto the technician from DC Annis and he went ahead with the 6" blade anyway.

Point 3. The contractor who installed the new line also put a camera down it - this was a clay pipe broken at a corner with no visable roots or other damage causing debris present - all that was there was SAND. I agree that quite a bit can happen in 6 months; however the evidence suggests that this was caused by the line clear out rather than a pre-existing condition.

Point 4. I utilized DC Annis sewer company as the previous company that put a camera down my line was a contractor who did only water jetting and camera work. DC Annis came up during a web search for sewer line jetting. They never suggested putting a camera down my line prior to the line clear out and only put the camera 11 ft into my 100 ft line in order to see why they couldn't pull their equipment out.

Point 5 - I DID NOT sign a credit card receipt. The original amount I was to be billed was 179.00 for a line clear out - which was not completed. DC Annis sewer company then charged my card 269.00 after being told directly that I did not want to be charged for the "service" as it caused more harm than good.

Response to further elaboration:

The section that was broken was under my concrete driveway - replacing this section would have had a cost equal to or greater than the new line that was installed. If it is their desire to run a camera down a line prior to performing a service, perhaps they should require that prior to putting a blade down the line. The prior damage was disclosed as was the proper diameter of blade that was successful in performing clear outs in the past.

Point 6 - Other consumers should be aware that the gentleman I spoke to on the phone the following day was rude, condescending, and abrasive in telling me why he was being so benevolent in only charging me 269.00 for an un-performed 179.00 service. His warhorse diatribe on how I couldn't possibly know what he was talking about was ridiculous and designed to forcefully make me comply with his fees. When I continued to disagree with him, he raised his voice and eventually hung up the phone. He then went ahead and fraudulently charged my card anyway.

This is poor service in a very competitive industry. Consumers should be aware of my experience with DC Annis sewer company and weigh that against other reviews of their service prior to making an informed decision of who to spend their hard-earned money on.

Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning