Minnesota and North Dakota

BBB Accredited Business since 09/18/1992

College Pro Painters

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

08/04/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

The painting service was bad and the customer service is horrible!!
I hired College Pro painters in summer 2012 to stain my deck. I watched the whole process. The preparation was sloppy and I was questioning the quality of the paint but I was told it would be fine because it has two years of warranty. In the spring of 2013, I noticed the chipping of painting and I called the service manager and I was told somebody will contact me and setup the repair service. I didn't get anybody calling me back so I called in again in the summer and I was told the repair service was already scheduled full for the season and I will be contacted spring 2014 for my repair. I called again this spring and I got a letter saying the deck surface was not covered by their warranty! I called back to the customer service and requested a resolution to the inconsistency of communication and misleading of the customer by committing a warranty that is not correct. All I got was a sorry!! I couldn't believe the poor painting and bad customer service. The painting on the deck didn't last a single season!!!That is the worst company I ever dealt before! If this is not resolved, I will share my story in our community website and I am sure nobody would be interested in working with this company anymore!!

Have my deck repaired!!

College Pro Painters takes customer satisfaction and its work very seriously. This particular job is a deck and the areas of concern are on the deck rail and deck floor. These areas are not covered under warranty due to being high traffic areas and areas with intense weathering from the sun and moisture. However, this customer was promised by a Franchise Owner that the work would be covered. We have decided to warranty the work due to the promise was made. We are finding a manager in the area who will be completing the work. Our General Manager *********** will be reaching out to this customer by Wednesday June 9th to put the customer in communication with the Franchise Owner to schedule to project.

I have not received any information from *********** as of today 7/14. I do beleve the company has my contact information.

Thanks,

******

The work has been completed for this homeowner.

**********
Business Manager
College Pro Painters
************

I did get a phone message from *********** and also got to speak with ****. **** said he would come to take a look at my deck and schedule a date to fix it. However, he didn't come for the past week and half. I called him and left him a message and haven't heard back from him. I wouldn't close the case until the issue is resolved. I hope they can respond to me quicker!

******

10/07/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The company failed to meet expectations, damaged our siding, did not complete the agreed-upon work and is not responding to further requests.
In March 2013, we spoke with and hired College Pro Painters to stain our wood-sided house the same as the existing color to "protect and beautify the home". *********** is the franchise owner & crew leader. The crew was here during the first week of June. The proposal included power washing all areas to remove dirt. It appears the power washer was too strong. It left gouges & lines on the siding. The crew stained over this to no avail: the lines are still quite visible and gouges were not patched/repaired. My husband pointed this out to ***** who said he &/or his crew would be back out to repair and finish the job. Once the job was *supposed* to have been completed, the plan was for ***** and my husband, *** *********, to do a walk through and make sure everything was done satisfactorily and *** was supposed to sign-off that the work was completed. That never happened. *** contacted ***** a week or so later but didn't hear back. *** emailed again in mid-August. ***** responded saying he would call back and set a date for the repairs. That call and subsequent emails have not been returned. We also feel that the staircase on the back of the house was done very poorly. It appears they chemically cleaned approximately half of the stairs and then stopped before staining over the entire staircase leaving it very discolored in spots. A few days after the crew left, a shutter fell down (they had removed all of them to stain) and shattered. During the course of the work, the crew left their tools & supplies on a tarp in our backyard for about a week, killing the grass underneath. They also left garbage and some supplies (including extension ladders) that were never retrieved. We sent a complaint to College Pro Painters on September 4th via their contact form on their website. We have not heard back. I have been giving ***** the benefit of the doubt. But now I am getting concerned that our house is permanently damaged from their carelessness.

We would like them to come back out to our house and fix the areas of poor quality. We are unsure if they can repair what they have damaged. If they cannot repair the damage, we would expect that they would find/hire a company that can repair their damage. If that is not a viable option, they need to replace the damaged siding. We really don't know what our options are at this point. I just want my house to look beautilful again.

College Pro Painters is very committed to working towards a mutually acceptable resolution with the *********'s. Local Minnesota General Manager************ has visited the property and gave the *********'s an option to have the home re-stained with solid-color stain. This would eliminate the inconsistency and "hide" the gauge marks from the power-washer. The *********'s are thinking about this option.

12/18/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We hired College Pro Painters to paint the trim on our home which included lead remediation. They violated EPA standards and have not completed.
College Pro Painters violated EPA standards and OSHA standards when they were hired to paint trim on our home which also involved lead paint remediation. Their employees were not EPA certified to work on lead removal nor did they wear hazmat suits. In addition, they did not take proper precautions and lead chips and dust where all over the interior of our home as well as the exterior of our home.

They broke the window panes on two of our storm windows. It took them over a month to get them repaired and they just dropped them off, never installing the remaining storm windows. Despite repeated requests inquiring when the installation would be completed, we have received no communication nor has our house key been returned to us.

In short, the level of service was awful, and there was almost no accountability. I heard constant excuses for the shoddiness of the work. For example, one excuse was that corporate messed up on paychecks and the employees were upset and therefore didn't want to do a quality job. Improper lead remediation is a HUGE public health issue that is not being addresses as a company. Instead, they are engaging in shoddy business practices and terrible customer service. The remaining storm windows should be installed and our house key should be returned to us especially given the fact that payment was made in full over a month ago.

Remaining storm windows need to be installed and house key must be returned.

10/17/2014Problems with Product / Service
09/20/2012Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We contracted College Pro painters to paint our trim of our house. The work was done sloppy and the proposed solutions were not satisfactory.
We contracted College Pro painters in July of 2011 to pain the trip of our house. In August 2011 the work began and there were issues with the work being done sloppy and paint dripping on the siding of the house. The attempts to match the paint color and clean up the dripped paint was a failure. We continued in June and July of 2012 to try to get a better match in paint color. That failed and the proposed solutions come end of July 2012 was to either: Get a different paint color and have them repaint the garage and front of the shed, leave as is or get a quote to paint the whole house at a cost. Our preference was to have them repaint the house at no cost.

Our preference was to have them repaint the house at no cost.

College Pro feels it has been very fair in coming up with a potential solution to the drips at Mr. *******'s property. We have been willing to re-paint entire walls of his home where the drips occurred. In addition, we have offered to do other sides of the house (with no drips) at a significantly discounted price (cost of just the labor and materials). Given our track record with the BBB, we hope you find our offer to be reasonable.

While we appreciate the response from College Pro, there is one important point that is missing from the above. Although College Pro has made attempts to match the paint to the original color of the home, they have been unsuccessful. If they only paint the walls where the drips occurred,there will be a different color on the repainted walls than the rest of the house. We are not satisfied with some walls of our house one color and other walls a different color. In addition, we did not financially account for repainting the entire house so that is not an option. We paid for services and those were not upheld by College Pro. We are not satisfied as the customer. To make this right College Pro will need to repaint the house at no cost to us(excluding the already painted trim).

To follow up on the *******'s last comment - College Pro attempted to get an exact paint match. Matching paint exactly is nearly impossible, however the paint match would have been extremely close. By painting the entire walls where the drips occurred, the only slight color difference would be from one side of the house to another which would be virtually un-noticeable. In addition - for just the cost of labor and materials, the *******'s can have their entire home re-painted. This paint job (with top-line **************** products) will last 7-10 years. College Pro is offering an above-and-beyond solution here and will continue to stand behind its offer.

Painting Contractors