BBB Accredited Business since 03/29/2010

Benchmark Landscaping

10/22/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Failure to return emails and phone calls in reference to a tree that died under warranty.
**** Heinz, the owner of Benchmark Landscaping did some work around our house last spring, replacing some shrubs, new edging, building a new retaining wall, rock etc. One of the shrubs that **** replaced in the front of our house has died, this shrub should be under warranty for a year. I have emailed **** 3 times and left him two lengthy voice mails stating my problem and asking him to please return my phone call and confirm what he can do to rectify the problem. **** has not called or emailed me back. Customer service was decent before the project, up until I paid the final invoice, now Benchmark Landscaping is nowhere to be found when you need warranty work. Poor follow up after the initial work.

I would like the shrub replaced with the same kind of shrub.

Response taken over phone:
I replaced the shrub in question and due to the busyness of my season I hadn't gotten back to him, but I did phone him and let him know I was on my way and did replace the shrub.

11/07/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Co. planted 2 trees in our bk yard on 8/1/10. By 5/1/12,both trees were dead.Wrong trees were planted for area.Said they would fix, wont answer calls
Benchmark planted 2 red maple trees in our back yard when we built our house. Approximate date the trees were planted was 8/1/10. By 5/1/12, both trees were dead. Trees were properly watered and taken care of. Benchmark was supposed to plant autumn blaze trees which are better suited for the location of the trees, which is in an area that gets more water. We were not allowed to pick out the specific trees, only the location. Benchmark, being the professionals, should have planted the proper tree for those locations or informed us of the possibility of the trees dying. This was not done. I called **** from Benchmark on approximately 6/1/12 to inquire about options for replacing the trees. He said he would come out and look at them and we could go from there. He has never been out to look at the trees and I have contacted him approximately 40 times to check on status. Since 8/1/12, **** will not answer my calls or call me back.

I would like Benchmark to replace the trees for no cost.

On 8/1/2010 I planted two Red Maple trees (A.K.A Autumn Blaze) for this customer. This type of tree is appropriate for the location in which they were planted. The warranty for these trees expired on 8/1/2011 and I did not receive communication from the customer that there were concerns about the trees until 6/2012. Upon receiving concerns from the customer, I went to the property to inspect the trees. My assessment indicated that the trunk of one of the trees had been substantially damaged (there was no bark remaining around the tree) and the other one had substantial scarring in the middle of the tree. I suspect that the damage is due to deer. This type of damage is not covered by warranty further more the warranty had expired long before I was initially contacted with concerns about the trees. I have left the customer several messages to explain the situation however, we have yet to talk in person.

Landscape Contractors, Hardscapes, Patio & Deck Builders, Tree Service