BBB Accredited Business since 06/07/2006

BFS Heating & Cooling, Inc.

09/20/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

BFS tried to bill me for $350 more than their quote and refused to pay for my evaporator coil they broke while installing my air conditioner.
I purchased my new outside condenser unit for my central air conditioning and the BFS owner gave me a verbal quote for $400-500 to install the unit. After installation the owner tried to bill me for $855. I told him that was not the agreed upon price so we compromised for $600. I felt like I did him a favor by paying him $100 more than his quote. He told me 4-5 hours and $95 an hour. When he created the invoice he charged me for 2 guys working 4-5 hours. The owner also changed the orifice in my evaporator unit (attached to the furnace) and broke one of my evaporator unit's coils while installing the orifice. He did the work on July 19, 2013. The unit leaked out most of the refrigerant by the evening of July 19, 2013. The owner came out on Saturday to tell me the evaporator unit needed replacing. He told me he does not warranty defective parts but would replace the evaporator for free labor (as a gesture of goodwill). I told him my old system did not leak and he caused the leak when he replaced the orifice. The owner disagreed with me and I spent the weekend driving around to try to find a new evaporator coil while my house did not have air conditioning. I found an evaporator unit and the BFS owner installed it on Monday July 22, 2013 (with no additional labor charge). The charge for the new evaporator coil was $331.61 (with taxes) and I purchased the coil at the retailer's cost. I want BFS to pay for the part they broke.

Contact Name and Title: *********, President
Contact Email: ****@bfsheating-cooling.com
In response to the items listed in ***'s complaint, the verbal quote $400 to $500.00 was based on the initial phone conversation and the scope of work of replacing the owner-supplied condensing unit that would sit on the ground. It was clearly stated that we warrant our craftsmanship but there is no warranty on equipment not supplied by us.
This type of work is always done on time and material to cover surprises and help control the changes in the scope of work and the final cost. With ***'s project there were changes in the scope of work after he was given a verbal estimate. The original estimate was for work only on the exterior of the house to replace the condenser. Upon arriving, *** requested additional work on the interior of the house, such as sheet metal work to add an orifice at the evaporator. Also the non-standard elevated positioning of his particular condensing unit required 2 people to lift the 250 lb. unit. These were not part of the original estimate.
The leak in from the 20 year evaporator coil was helped along by the replacement of the orifice. The micro-thin tubing that broke after we completed the project and had left also failed because fatigue of 20 years of usage. Old parts break, and unfortunately for all involved it failed on a Friday evening, hours after the project was completed.
Being that *** is a repeat customer, we offered to install a new coil if he provided the evaporator coil, we would provide the labor and miscellaneous material. He agreed and we fulfilled our part of the bargain by showing up on Monday to replace the coil. After which he indicated he was happy and we were happy to see he had air conditioning. There was no communication to the contrary from *** until the e-mail from the Better Business Bureau asking us to respond to ***'s complaint.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, Furnace Sales & Service, Air Conditioning Repair, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Heating Contractors