BBB Accredited Business since 07/26/1972

Standard Heating & Air Conditioning

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

06/19/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Sales told us that we pay what we want and do a balance transfer at the end of 25 months to avoid interest.
On March 17, 2014 we met with ************* from Standard Heating and Air Conditioning. We were looking at a new furnace, AC and Water Heater with a good finance plan. They were running a promotion of $0 down, 0% interest for 25 months. With a whole home remodel and a stretched budget already, Ben advised us that we could pay what we wanted, but after 25 months we would have the accumulated interest to pay, plus interest going forward. When we received our first bill the payment was a fixed payment of $456 due each month for 25 months. This is not the flexible amount we were promised.

$0 down, 0% interest for 25 months with flexible payments

Letter sent to BBB on 6/6/2014

01/27/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Standard Heating and Air Conditioning was called in November of 2013 to services our new home that I have recently purchase. The service wasn't convenient or cheap but they did fixed my furnace. One month after my furnace was fixed, this company decided to call me up and harass me about my credit card, which I have used to make the payment for my furnace to be fixed, has been declined. I did not understand why it was decline and why it took a whole month for them to let me know. I return their call and got the situation and payment taken care of, which I thought and then received another call from Standard Heating and Air Conditioning about my card being decline the second time a week later! I was furious at this time, I called and complain about why it took them so long to clear my card and why it took them this long to pull a payment, and they made me feel like it was my fault. They made me feel like I did not have the money to pay them and they made me feel like an unworthy customer. And at the end of the conversation, come to find out my address they were typing in was incorrect for my credit card. This was the first situation The second situation was that after a few days of speaking with the representative from Standard Heating and Air Conditioning, my furnace broke down! I called them to help me out, mind you the weather was at 19 degrees, and I notify the company at 10am about my furnace and they did not come out to look at it til 4:20 in the evening! When they finally arrived, the part that they have replace last time they were here was what was broken. I told them to take their parts back and I wanted a refund. I told the *****, which was the gentleman that arrived to "claim" to fix my furnace that they can jus take the part back and refund my money and ***** raised his voice at me like I was yelling at him. It was very unnecessarily for ***** to raise his voice. I call customer service and stated that they will not give me my money back and take the part they replace.
Product_Or_Service: furnace ignition module
Account_Number: 1 year garantie on p

All I want it for them to take the part they replace my furnace with back and return my money. The services was not satisfying since it's been a little over 30 days.

STANDARD HEATING
& AIR CONDITIONING
January 2, 2014
Mr. ********* ******** *********************. Brooklyn Park, MN 55429

Re: Better Business Bureau Case # ******** Dear Mr. ********, I received your letter to the Better Business Bureau, dated December 20th, 2013, regarding the service call that occurred on November 7th and the warranty follow up visit on December 19th.

We are currently working to resolve your furnace issues and will follow up when there is resolution.
********** Service Manager

CC: Better Business Bureau of Minnesota and North Dakota **************, Mediation Coordinator 220 S. River Ridge Cir
Burnsville, MN 55337
Heating, Air Conditioning, Preventive Maintenance, Indoor Air Quality and morel ***************** N., Minneapolis, MN 55411 *****************, Saint Paul, MN 55130
************
standardheating.com ************

08/27/2012Problems with Product / Service
02/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Standard did not do the inspection as requested. But tried to sell a new furnace instead.
Standard was hired to do a city required furnace inspection. Standard heating came on Dec. 7th 2012. The tech checked the co2 and found it ok. He then cut a hole in the furnace to look over the heat exchanger. (not part of the city inspection) He took a long time doing this and then declared he found a crack. The tech then went into high gear to sell me a new furnace. Three times trying to set an appointment to have the furnace salesperson to come out. He discontinued the inspection but still charged me for a full inspection. After the tech. left I felt that something just wasn't right. So i got a referral from a friend for a master heating contractor with a good honest reputation. This contractor came out did a complete inspection and found the furnace in fine condition. This new contractor had nothing negative to say about the furnace. I then sent a letter on Dec. 18th, 2012 to Standard Heating requesting a refund because they did not do the work requested. I received a letter from Standard dated Dec. 24th, 2012 refusing to give a refund. They maintain that the furnace is cracked. If a heat exchanger is cracked it will have elevated levels of co2. Note: there is nothing in the City inspection form about cutting hole to do the visual inspection they chose to do. This type of procedure is warned of on the internet as a scam to sell furnaces to people that do not need them. I expect to get the $155 that I paid refunded to me.

I request a complete refund of my $155 paid for the inspection.

"The following information was provided in hard copy and has been converted to text."

I have received your complaint to the BBB concerning your request for a refund for the
furnace inspection we performed at ****************** on December 7, 2012.

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide (CO) are a result of incomplete or inefficient
combustion within the furnace, not a cracked heat exchanger. The risk with a cracked
heat exchanger is that as the combustion efficiency deteriorates, the increased levels of
CO can potentially enter the home through the crack.

Cutting a hole in the cabinet ofthe furnace is not a scam to sell furnaces. Due to the
orientation of the heat exchanger within some furnaces, it often becomes necessary to cut
a hole to properly inspect the heat exchanger. Please know that we purposely avoid
conflicts of interest with our repair technicians by not giving them any incentive for the
sales of new units. They know their job is to fix things when economically feasible. In
this case he offered both a repair as well as replacement of the furnace.

Our contention is that the heat exchanger is indeed cracked. We remain open to meeting
you and/or the company your received the second opinion from to re-­inspect and resolve
the conflicting assessments. If after re-examining the heat exchanger we determine that
we made an error in our assessment we will refund the $155 we charged you for the
furnace inspection.

Please do not hesitate to call me at ************ with any questions.

************
President
*documents attached to the complaint online

I received the letter referred to in this Email and have already replied.
Here I attach the inspection results that I got from the 2nd company.
Please note that nowhere in this Mpls inspection is it called for to do a camera inspection.
Standard stubbornly sticks to their story. But the attached results provides ample evidence to the contrary.
At this point it is more important to me that the public be made aware of their business tactics than if they would refund my money.
I was fortunate to consider getting a 2nd opinion, but others may not and spend thousands needlessly.

*************

08/04/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues

Heating & Air Conditioning - Filters, Heating Equipment, Boilers - New & Used, Air Conditioning Supplies & Parts, Air Purifying & Cleaning Systems & Equipment, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Conditioning Repair, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, Heating & Air Conditioning, Heating Contractors, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems