City Wide Restoration Inc

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

01/20/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Contractor did not complete work, yet demands payment for work. Furthermore, contractor refuses to furnish an itemized list for services provided.
Product_Or_Service: Storm damage repair to home

I would like the contractor to provide a refund for the work he did not complete, and to furnish an itemized list of work completed. In order to avoid a lien on the house, I would also like the contractor to pay the company which supplied the roofing materials. Furthermore, I am requesting a lien release waiver from the company which supplied the roofing materials.

We have worked out our issue and the customer is now relieved of any debt to CWR.

05/06/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

False measurements,false contract to their main contractor SOS restoration.
I have been working on this for almost three yrs. I had a sewer backup in my basement in Aug.2010, I called SOS restoration and they sub-contracted City Wide Restoration. They came and told me $5,000.00 to do the basement. They said they were giving me a deal because I had been through so much (cancer). I had to give them $2,000.00 deposit, which I did. Still no contract. Three project manager's later, still not contract. I didn't know I was suppose to ask for one. Then the project manager asked me if my insurance was taking care of this and I said yes. The next day the price changed. He said that it was costing him more ($15,000.00)and that if I just sign over the insurance check ($10,000.00)he would suck up the rest because he felt sorry for me. So I did. Then they emailed me a contract with all the measurements and stuff. I have contacted the main company that hired them and at first SOS was working with me to find out what was going on. They had a different contract. One that said that I was charged something like $1500.00. And the work was never finished. So now I have an unfinished basement with no bathroom and now I could not even sell it at the price I bought it. I bought it with a complete basement with a complete bathroom. Unfortunately three weeks ago the employee I was working with left the company (sos restoration). His replacement states he knows nothing and won't help me. So I am turning to you because I don't know what else to do. I know that I won't get the money back, but I was told by SOS restoration that they fired City Wide restoration because they found out that they had done this to others. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

I would like my basement finished and bathroom done and working

Response to case # ********
**************** ************* Baldwin, WI 54002
In regards to Ms, *********** case. We called Ms. *********** and told her we would come out to look at this. We told her to have the estimate ready for us so we can review it. She claims she has no estimate and City Wide never received a phone call in three years from her about any complaint. The only reason we know about this is from the BBB. We spoke with Ms. *********** and asked her why she had never called us to tell us something was wrong and she had no response.
Regards, City Wide Restoration

03/12/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

did not do job properly resulting in hiring another company Charged more sales tax then allowed delays in picking up equipment charged for more.
I was not happy with the work that was done. did not see tech use a heap filter. Removed the wet carpet in the closet spreading the fungi sores into the air. Left wet carpet in both bedrooms. did not cup out all effected sheetrock. Had to request an estimate numerous times. then after reviewing it many overages. Charged for three air movers (should have been air scrubbers) only had two. listed $100 for permit (none gotten) this resulted in a $350 bill to have air quality tested and it failed. They did not give me mold information required by state. They were suppose to leave samples of the carpet for ins adjuster and did not. MANY PHONE calls. I was told the air movers would be picked up on a Tuesday by noon because I told ***** I was going out of town until late Thursday. I left work early to be home and when no one showed by 12:30 I was told they would be out later on Tuesday I reminded him leaving at 2. then told they would pick the air movers on Friday @9am and bring out pieces of carpet at that time. When guy showed up to pick up fans he did not have a clue about carpet pieces. Called ***** again told carpet pieces would be at my house BY 8AM only one piece of carpet showed up and at 10:30. Charged more then the state sales tax for my city. should have been
7.125% and I was charged 7.85%. Field supervisor was ********* I gave a down payment of $250 and after several conversations paid $722.60 by bank check.

Full or partial refund. the "work" done was so poor that it cost me time additional money and over a week of not being able to use bedrooms and bathroom on that level. needed all walls floors and ceilings washed to remove sores sent into the air from air movers as well as paying for air quality test.

We would have been more than willing to correct any errors. Also, if there was a clerical error on sales tax we could have changed that at the time. I don't feel there is anything we could do at this point.

I sent an e-mail August 5th to both Mr.****** and his employee stating my concerns and got no response. Included that due to their work I incurred the additional cost of $300 for air quality test. Sales tax was discussed with ***** numerous times the last being the day before I paid the balance I was told was due. I was told we charge the most we can charged and that will not be changed. The state department of revenue is investigating this and told me I was correct about the amount that should have been charged. Anoka County is 7.185% Not 7.85% I only paid it to avoid a mechanic lien on my property. Once mold or fungi was found the EPA requires I be given a brochure and be notification form that I had to sign. Citywide did not do this Citywide also advertises and ***** told me that they are licensed in Minnesota and are not. They also state that they are bonded and insured and a Certified Firm with the institution of inspection cleaning and restoration(IICR) THEY ARE NOT. this is fraud and I have a complaint ready to go to the MN state attorney office within the next few days. The added cost that I had to pay was $300 for air Quality Test And $5969.47 for clean up and $4,422.40 for rebuild. Rebuild I know was my responsibility. But over $6200 to correct mistakes and omissions by your company is a bit much. I feel you not only could but should refund part if not all of what I paid for substandard work and misrepresentation.
If indeed they are bonded and insured the insurance should pay.

The customer say's "I know I'm responsible for the re-build". She also say's she hired someone to do an air test. She did these on her own. I would be more then happy to pay for the difference in sales tax. I would also like a chance to see if there's a way that I would be able to see this job? Or, could I have a mediator, one through the BBB help with this?

I would not have had to have an air quality test if work was done correctly. Job was completed by Servicemaster. Mold removal was $5969.49 plus $300 for air quality test -due to children with asthma in home. I would agree to a mediator. but sales taxes overcharge is not only issue

since company has not agreed to arbitration or replied to the atty General office I guess I will have to pursue small claims court or talk with my county attorney regarding fraud

07/09/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Re flood of 6-1-14: acquired name of "CWR" from phone book stating "Got Water Damage?", "Beginning To Finish Contr's". This work was NOT done.
On 6-2-14 CWR came to residence to remove water. CWR did attempt to do this, however, were unable to. CWR collected check which would indicate job would be done in it's entirety, however left job, never to return.

Refund back $1200.00.

I spoke with the home owner on Saturday and asked what the letter was about? He said that he was disappointed in the fact that we didn't put in a sump pump and that he had to hire a plumber to install one. We are not plumber's and do not advertise that we would be able to do so. He was upset that we couldn't stop the rain fall from coming in to his home. We simply do the water damage clean up and install drying equipment. That's all he was told up front and that's all he received for an invoice/receipt. We have nothing to do with installing a sump pump or that we could keep water from continuing into the home. This is not a legit complaint and should be completely discarded from our record.

When originially called on the phone "***" came out and assessed the problem and indicated that it would be $1800 to do the job...later he informed me that he needed to call more men and that it would be another $300---I wrote him the check thinking that the job would be done---he & all his men left and the basement was still like it was when he first arrived & accepted the job--all he accomplished was taking out about 400 sq. ft. of carpeting and disposing of it---$1800 to take out carpeting, which I could have done by myself---I would be willing to settle this if refunded $1200; $1,000 is still too much for what he did---he did not get rid of water & as he advertises---should not have taken job if can't produce results. I demand a refund of $1200 or will file reconciliation court papers. This is outright false advertising; if a plumber was needed to do the job then he should have informed me before he accepted the check for payment.

Like previously stated. We were hired to do water damage clean up. His invoice will reflect that. He states "Beginning to finish," . We did. That is how we were able to collect a check at the end of the job. If not satisfied about the work performed, why cut a check? We did everything on the invoice and never claimed to do anything with a sump pumps, nor that we could keep water from coming into his home after we left. He was given a discounted price and there will be NO refund of any kind. This is not a valid complaint. We did not offer a service that was not given. We did not mislead the customer as to what we would do. Hence why we received a check at the end.

12/10/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company was to remove and replace damaged drywall in my house, they removed the drywall but have failed to relace it and failed to give receipts
6/23/13 they removed my wet basement carpet and have failed to provide a receipt. On 7/01/13 they came to my house two hours late and were without any tools. The worker left my house then returned and demanded a check for $200.00 before he would start working. Company owner************* had made a deal with me to do the entire drywall removal and replacement job in my sump pump room for $400.00 on 6/28/13 via phone conversation.On 7/01/13 I spoke with *******and a drywall person "****" to set up a drywall instalation dateat at this time ******* gave me a $300.00 installation price which was a $100.00 increase. I have not heard from anyone yet even after I have made several phone calls to ******.

Complete the job for the price which was agreed upon or return the payments of @1,200.00.

To whom it may concern;

Our company agreed to work for *** ******. But, only for the removal of minor wet materials in his basement. Our company has only received what was agreed upon and that was $200.00 the amount that *** is saying he payed we have no receipt of. I think the customer is confused that one was an estimate and one was an invoice. *** also mentioned he was dissatisfied with the amount of debris left behind, sheet rock dust. I never heard word of this until we I received a letter from the BBB. The customer was very money conscience and we decided that we did not want to work with him, as he tried to nickel and dime over anything and everything. It is our belief and that we have no record of payment, that *** was given the proper service for his $200.00 payment.
Regards,
Bob

Cty wide Restoration failed to provide the services which they were hired to do, they also failed to provede receipts for payments. On 6/23/2013 they accepted a $1,000.00 dollar credit card payment and on 7/01/2013 they accepted a check for $200.00. I am in possession of credid card and bank receipts for both payments. This company was hired to remove wet carpet and to remove and replace wet drywall in my basement. They did remove the wet carpet and drywall but failed to complete the job by replacing the drywall. On both occassions the single worker showed up late and without any tools. I provided the worker on 7/01/2013 with tools because of the urgency of getting the wet drywall out of my house in order to prevent any mold issues, he advised me that ***** ****** had fired most of the crew and they did'nt have many workers to do the jobs. He also stated that he was the senior emplyee and that he had been working for ****** for six months. I have attempted to contact ****** many times to get the job completed and to get payment receipts. Mr. ****** has not return my calls or completed the work. The total time that his employees worked on my house was less than two hours. On 8/31/2013 at 06:30 A.M. ****** did call and state that he would refund my money, he also stated that he had no records of my payments or that his company had even worked on my house. This was the first contact with ****** since 7/01/2013 because he failed to answer or return my phone calls, I asked for my money back and explained the mess his employess had made and that they had failed to complete the job which I had paid for. Please refund my $1,2000.00 so that I can hire a reputable company to complete the job that City Wide Restoration was hired to do and to clean up the mess they created.

In response to these accusations, CWR has no record of receiving any payment from Mr.******. Please provide proof of your payments and then we can agree to something. Thank you, CWR.

Why did you close this case??? City Wide failed to refund my money!!!!! You are of NO use to me!!! I sent info regarding receipts to my credit card company and they stated they had cashed my check. Please reopen and resume this case.

City Wide Restoration Inc, has made NO offer. This matter IS NOT settled.

Response taken over phone:
Consumer was refunded to his credit card.

City Wide Restoration Inc has made no offer. I have requested that my credit card company refund $1000.00 that I had paid to City Wide Restoration Inc. They failed to do the job Which I had hired them for and caused much damage to my property. My request was that City Wide Construction Inc return my full $1200.00.

Complaint Response Date bumped because: Holiday

This will prove he was paid back and in full.

04/25/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Extremely slow response to repetitive phone calls and emails to President of company inquiring about repairs for cracked tile floor laid by CWR.
5/28/2012: First email inquiry was sent to Bob Coffin, President of CWR (City Wide Restoration) regarding the floor tiles of the bathroom job his company did in August-September 2010 (invoice 1011). The rest of the job was contracted due to water damage in the ceiling and walls from rain. The floor portion was done separately of the insurance portion of the job, but we were assured their services included general contracting of all types of remodeling, including bathroom floors. We were instructed to pick out and buy the tiles and grout to be used and CWR would pick up whatever else would be needed for the proper floor preparation, as they would not know what was needed until they tore the original flooring out. During the process, the supervisor of the project kept in contact with us, as we placed calls to follow what was happening. There were several delays during this process which took from start date of 8/11/2010-completion date of 8/25/2010. Besides the issues such as a pulled toilet sitting in the hallway for a week, nothing placed on carpet hall and stair areas or even the deck area to protect from construction debris that sat there for nearly 2 weeks before hauled away, there were also admitted mistakes from the crew. The supervisor had assigned the flooring and new toilet placement to another worker. In phone discussion on 8/18/2010, we were told that after the original tile flooring was removed, it was found to be a cement floor rather than the proper cement board underlayment. This had required additional work to remove the cement so that they would be able to place down the proper underlayment of cement board for the new tile floor. He also informed us that when his tile person laid the tiles down we had picked out, he discovered he had forgotten the patterned tile border we had instructed to be placed around the wall and tub edges. Thus, he had to remove tile to re-do the floor to include the border. We had not supplied enough tile for a redo and they had to get more tile to repair their mistake. A few days later on 8/20/2010 we were informed by the person doing the toilet install that he was having difficulty getting the toilet reseated on the piping, as well. Inexperience? He was there alone...
On May 28, 2012 we sent an email about our finding, less than 2 years later, that there are 7 tiles and a border piece (out of 24 tiles placed) that have cracked. At that time we asked to have someone come inspect the floor and requested the floor be fixed at their company's expense. 5/30 Bob emailed back requesting photos. 6/7 we sent those images to Bob. 6/25 we inquired if he had received them.7/3, Bob finally emailed back that they had been busy with storm repairs for new customers, but would arrange one of his guys to look at the tile. 7/16 we asked again when someone could come look at the tiles. 7/18 he sent us the name and phone number of a contact. After a few calls back and forth, this person came to inspect the floor on 8/18. He told us at that time that the floor may not have had a flexible type of thin set, which helps prevent tiles from cracking as easily when tiles are placed on floors that may flex some due to floor truss flexabilty. He asked if we had any tile left- we thought maybe a partial box. He told us that the floor would need the tiles removed and a flexible thin set put down. He was going to call Bob and ask him what the next plan would be. We got a call within 15 minutes of his departure stating Bob had agreed to redo the floor project, but would take no resposibility after this repair. During the next week we went back to Menard's to get stock numbers of the tile and grout and found the tile had been discontinued. 8/30 we let Bob know this and he responded by referring us again to the worker. After a few more phone calls back and forth with this person, we were told that the company is assuming no responsibility for any part of the cracked tiles and would not repair the job at their expense.

Replacement of bathroom tile flooring:
Remove exisisting tile floor and subfloor if needed.
Pull existing toilet and wood trim boards carefully and protection placed under toilet while out of bathroom.
Place proper subfloor/cementboard.
Use flexible thin set for new tile floor.
Purchase new tile, border tile,grout selected by homeowner.
Purchase all other needed materials for proper installation of new tile floor.
Cover carpeted floor areas of hallway and stairs to protect from construction debris/damage.
Install new tile flooring and grouting.
Replace toilet and wood trim along floor edges- replace with new stained wood if damaged in removal.
Request that project be completed in a 3-4 day or sooner process within the next month,as this is the only bathroom in this home.
We feel all expenses should be covered by CWR as we have already paid this project in full in 2010. If CWR feels they are too busy to do this project in that timeline, then we request they compensate us for another company of homeowner's choice to follow these same guidelines with CWR fully paying for the expense of this repair.

Fire & Smoke & Water Clean Up, Mold & Mildew Inspection/Removal/Remediation, Smoke Odor Counteracting Service, Carpet & Rug Cleaners