BBB Accredited Business since 04/02/2009

All Around Remodeling, Inc.

01/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company did not complete work as specified. Company did not take responsibility for subcontractor and self, both who did substandard inferior work.
Company failed to perform the work as agreed to and specifically stated in the estimate at the onset of work, when customer agreed to pricing. Company's subcontractor poured the slab without rebar. In addition the sub performed substandard work in finishing the slab. The standard for concrete is that it is functional as well as cosmetic. There are four cracks in the slab to date, flaking and chipping of the surface as well. The first crack occurred within 24 hours. Slab has deteriorated since. No cracks follow the saw cuts, which as sub admitted, were not placed at the proper time. As other contractors have stated, at least one of the cracks indicates that the company failed to properly prepare and pack the ground under the slab, resulting in one or more of the cracks. Company escalated price for work and made up new charges. Both the company and sub's work product is substandard: warped boards used in rafters and fur-outs, splintered boards at ends from excessive and poor technique in nailing, rafters and joists loose. Joists squeaked and wobbled and were poorly connected to the wall,not enough floor boards provided, no patios door, front window, or service door delivered even though customer paid in advance for such things, no corner boards to attach sheet rock to, no top or bottom runners to attach sheet rock. Company failed to take responsibility for sub's short cuts and failed to correct the mistake and resulting damage, even when given ample time to do so. Company created additional charges as work proceeded, unbeknownst to customer, differing from what was agreed upon previously, including, but not limited to, inflating the price per unit of additional concrete and block.

We want a money order or cash in the amount of $15,000 issued to us. This amount would cover redoing substandard work, fixing mistake, and damages, and products and services paid for but not provided. In addition, we want a lien waver signed saying this company cannot place a lien on our property and all workers have been appropriately compensated for any and all work performed on our project.

So I'm not sure how to reply to this.
So I'll start from the beginning of this crazy complaint
As I look back on the contracts and notes that we both agreed upon in emails I see your asking for 15,000 dollars back in which you only paid me to date total amount of 13,490.00. Am I reading that right? So basically you want the excavation, the block work, the demo, the framing up what is completed ( I realize there is still some minor framing left to do) and materials for FREE with me paying you the balance of apx. 1500.00 out of my pocket in which you never gave me!! ??
The excavation is perfect right? Right
The block work is done and completed as we agreed upon Right?? Right
Now we had some different opinions on the flat work weather it should have rebar or not. Funny how you don't mention that you were standing with the cement guy at 730 AM in the morning as the cement truck shows up about having a conversation about the rebar not in place and he told you it was a bad idea to have rebar with water lines and no air test. Funny how you don't mention that you agreed to not have it as you agreed with his professional opinion not to use because he has seen it in the past puncture the line and with no air test you would be unable to find the leak after the cement is poured which would be our fault in the end causing us to have to remove and re pour the cement. You agreed to pour without it and now your making a fuss about it. Funny thing again is the cement lines were cut the following day as normal. Now you know as well as I do we back filled and compacted the whole thing because you were home the whole time watching us do it. We also waited roughly a month to have rain help settle the fill which we all know is the best compactor in the end. We even had some slight settling which is normal and we came back and added more fill before cement was poured. Yes sorry to say we had a couple hair line shrinkage cracks form after we left. We feel bad for that but it can happen. I realize we had some miscommunication on these issues so as a good company we are what was our response to the homeowner about these issues? Oh ya as he has failed to mention we GAVE THE FLAT WORK FOR FREE a 3,200.00 credit and said sorry for the issues we wont charge you for the flat work!! His response was not good enough I want you to tear it out and re pour it!! WOW. And also he said I want you to pay for the water lines he installed and also the insulation board he installed and never got inspected by the city. And as he has failed to mention is currently on his ass for not getting it inspected and they are saying tear it up also because he didn't have it inspected.
So lets talk about the other part of the project.
We bought a Anderson patio door and Anderson window for apx. 2,500.00. We also bought I joists and other framing material and sub flooring material along with mounting hardware. We begun removing load baring walls and demoing the existing garage as per plan. We framed in the new walls and openings for the windows started framing the exterior walls and ceiling as needed. At this point I asked for a small amount down of 5,000.00 to cover my material expenses which was around 3,500.00. Which also may I add was all agreed upon in multiple contracts before we started. See the homeowner couldn't make up his mind on what he all wanted my company to do and not do. He was trying to save as much money as he could and do as much as he could but later realized that it just wasn't possible. So he kept adding on more work and extras. And we kept changing the contracts around to suite his needs. So at this point we were waiting for the door and window to come in and he said I wasn't going to pay u anymore money till I removed the flat work and re poured it. I said I gave the slab for free and I'm not re moving it. I also said at that point that I was due for another draw for the framing portion of the job and I said I would deliver the window and door when he has the next draw ready. He said No and now I sit with 2,500.00 in doors that I cant return and stuck with!
So to recap the paid portion of the job
homeowner paid me 8,490.00 down on first contract for excavation and block work which is completed 100% he DID NOT pay me for the flat work of 3,200.00 which I gave him for free.
the second contract goes as he paid me 5,000.00 down for the door and window and misc. framing materials and labor. I figure I had 3,500.00 in raw materials plus labor for what was completed. After the extras he agreed upon to pay us as he added on he owes me a balance of roughly 3,500.00. After payment I will release the door and window to his house and move on.
I'm sure there's more I could bring up but this should be enough.

We hired a contractor to provide the materials and services necessary to build the project and to oversee the day to day activities. We hired All Around because of its bid and its stated willingness to work with us on parts of the project we could do ourselves. We also hired All Around based on its A+ rating with the BBB, and the positive feedback we received from the many references we contacted. We trusted All Around Remodeling.

We changed the project by adding a 4 foot extension to one end of the garage remodel. The possibility of the extension was known and discussed over several months before the project was begun. The only other changes we brought up were changes in the sequence in which things were to be done.

We are asking for $15,000, in part, because we are legitimately concerned that since the ground wasn't properly prepared for the flatwork portion of the new garage, the ground might not have been prepared properly for the footings and the block work. This was stated to us a significant probability as to the reason the slab cracked within 24 hours and has five cracks in it as of today, only five months after it was poured.

Rebar was to be included in the flatwork per the written agreement. This fact is known by All Around.

The contractor should have been at the site the morning of the pour to ensure rebar was used.

I wasn't expected to be home during the pour, but happened to be. I came outside to the site as the pour began and immediately ask where the rebar was. The subcontractor said he is afraid to pour and use rebar with tubing and instead stated that he had ordered fiber mesh put into the concrete and that fiber mesh does the same thing as rebar. This was an issue that was never brought up in all the previous conversations about the tubing and slab. Both All Around and the subcontractor inspected the foam and tubing of the radiant heat system the afternoon before the pour. Both told me that it "looked good." The contractor even said "it looks really good." There was no mention of the need for a permit (there is no "radiant heating" permit; it falls under a mechanical permit - which our contractor knew), no mention of a pressure test and no mention of a concern with using rebar with pex tubing during the pour. These are issues all around has made up since the day the slab was poured and they are immaterial to all around's failure to perform the work as agreed and to use a subcontractor that is a thief and doesn't know what he is doing.The sub was lying. There was no fiber mesh in the concrete! Even if he had ordered it, mesh doesn't perform the same function as rebar. (This subcontractor went so far as to bring a chunk of concrete from another project that had fiber mesh in it and tried to pass it off to my wife as from our pour.) The subcontractor was pocketing a little extra money, the cost of the rebar, for himself and tried to lie his way through it. All Around knew and knows all of this but refuses to take responsibility for the ways and means of the subcontractor it hired, and instead chooses to change his story. Cracks appeared within 24 hours and they are not simply hairline cracks. (Please note that it is actually the industry standard to use either rebar or a wire mesh to connect the tubing to when pouring a slab. Also, both contractor and subcontractor were informed that pex tubing with an additional layer of aluminum was being used which is even stronger than the simple oxygen-barrier pex tubing usually used. Finally, the quality of the cement work, including the finishing of the surface is poor and an eyesore to look at. Whether the pressure test was preformed or not, when the slab is jacked out, it will ruin the tubing and foam, and possibly damage the foundation. The makes any pressure test before the pour immaterial

Upon taking over the project after All Around we have discovered the low quality of materials used and labor performed by them. If you knew the project you would know how little of the framing was done before they were fired. There are too many shortcomings and things undone to list here. What materials were installed had to be fixed,reinforced, braced, straightened, supported and bracketed.

1. All Around did not perform the work with the materials or in the way it was agreed to;
2. All Around inflated the per unit cost of the cement work and created new/additional charges on the project; Note: these increases were first put forth within 2 days of my heart attack and were misrepresented to my wife as something i had previously agreed to;
3. All Around failed to correct the mistakes its subcontractor made; and
4. All around was paid an additional $5,000.00 under the guise that it was purchasing doors (patio & service) and a picture window for the project. We have received nothing for that money.

We believe you can see from the tone, tenor and general unprofessional nature of All Around's response that it has been extremely difficult and disappointing to deal with. You can see why he had to be fired. In addition to the money sunk and stolen, All Around has sucked the life and enjoyment out of what was to be a project of a lifetime for us.

We stand by our original complaint.

Complaint Response Date bumped because: Holiday

As you see in the customers first paragraph they did there research on our company first and found were a great company to work with but some times we come across some homeowners that start out great then turn sour. In this case there biggest issue was the flat work that stopped the job and allowing us to finish the framing portion of the job. As you seen in my first response we decided to give the flat work for free and please the customer but as you see that wasn't good enough. Usually when we work with a customer we come together with a solution that works for everyone and we move on. In this case a 3,000 slab wasn't good enough! Most guys would of discounted it for a few hundred bucks! We gave the whole thing for free.
They mention about the 4' extension and over charging for it but we discussed the extra cost and they agreed on it so we moved forward on it.
To give 15,000 back is un heard of! The footings have nothing to do with the flat work and the cracks. The footings were inspected by the city inspector and passed before back filling.
Towards the rebar this already has been discussed.
It's a matter of opinion and the fact is the homeowner agreed with cement contractor not to install the rebar due to possible damage to water lines. The cement could of waited while they were installed if the homeowner demanded us to install it which he didn't and agreed with cement guy not to install. Regardless since this was an issue as discussed before we gave the slab for free!
The in floor heat is part of the mechanical permit which as you see we were not part of. We were going to handle the mechanical portion of the job but then we agreed with the homeowner to remove it from the job contract because they wanted to use there past mechanical guy due to price. So in return I feel it is now the homeowner's responsibility or there mechanical contractor they hired to install the system to pull the permit. Since the homeowner did his own piping he should of contacted the city for the permit and inspection requirements.
As for the fiber mesh sample the cement contractor never said this was from his cement order just a sample to show what fiber mesh looks like.
Again as stated by the homeowner the slab work is there main issue as you see stated by there complaint and as a response already made by us we did the slab for free and never charged a dime for it because of there un happiness with it. I again feel this was more then a fair response to there complaint.
Again if the homeowner were to decide to remove the slab and start over no damage would be done to the block as long as it was done by a professional. If a homeowner attempts to remove it on there own to save money I could see how they could damage it.
Towards the framing it does not surprise me there were some unfinished areas. We had to stop until the mechanical work was complete and other rough ins. We were asked to stop working until we were able to come across an agreement on the flat work and then fired when we couldn't. We used standard material's to build the project as required.
Answering to his points
1) we did the job as much as we could until the homeowner decided to fire us and asked us to stop work on the project.
2) we never changed our prices once during the project unless the homeowner changed there mind on something like adding on to the addition 4' towards the street which in return upon this request we said there will be an additional cost for this and told them the extra charge which they agreed upon before we started the extra work requested.
3) We offered a free slab of cement work for the miscommunication we felt this was more then fair.
4) and again as previously stated the 5,000 down was for the demo, framing, material provided that was completed as written up on the contract. We also ordered the door and window for the project out of our own pocket which cost me apx. 2,000.00 and now I'm out of that money and stuck with a door and window I cant use. You say you rec. nothing for that money well as stated as before how about all the framing material provided and labor to demo old wall and header, re build a new wall changing out old windows locations, framing in the floor with I joists supplying 3/4 OSB for floor sheating, furing out walls cutting back brick and removing siding adding in framing to ceiling! It's endless which I guess you don't feel you should have to pay for I guess! I got invested of my own money over 2,000 for a door and window, over 1,000.00 in material for framing and hours of labor easily breaking 5,000.00!
As you can see from the HOMEOWNERS tone,and general rudeness to screw a contractor and ask for all money back is insane! And ya this is why this contractor is frustrated and disgusted with this whole matter. Only reason why I'm sounding off like this is because of this whole situation it would be one thing to ask for a couple grand in return but to ask for everything and then some is pure stupid and greedy and obviously there out to get something for nothing!
You didn't see AAR reaching for the stars and asking for the whole contract amount to be owed just the amount owed to cover my losses! The bare minimum I felt was fare!
And then to throw in "my heart attack" statement just shows how far your willing to reach! Yes you had a heart attack 2 days before starting the project and we offered to put the job on hold till you were able to get back on your feet but your wife said no lets move forward so we did. You decided to add on the additional footage of footings on the first contract I gave you the price you said yes go ahead so we dug for them if you add up the total cost of the footing project per foot you will see I only charged for the additional footage as requested never inflated one cent. Never charge for a change order or nothing! Like most contractor's do! In conclusion I'm done wasting my precious family time on this issue. Bottom line is we never will agree on a solution and to sit with a mediator is also a waste and will get no where. I'm willing to drop my charge owed to me and walk away as a lost because in the real world I don't expect them to pay me and I cant believe they really think I'm going to pay them 15,000.00! Or the next step is to hire lawyers for thousands of dollars each party and hope someone wins besides the lawyers who will draw this out as long as possible to charge as much as they can. Only benefit I see is my lawyer is a long past friend from school which I have banked a lot of money for future problems that could come up like customers like this!

Construction & Remodeling Services, Patio & Deck Builders, Kitchen Remodeling, Roofing Contractors, Contractors - General, Garage Builders, Tile - Ceramic - Contractors & Dealers, Bathroom Remodeling, Windows - Installation & Service, Kitchen Cabinet Refacing