We hired Americas Best to save our carpet from a flood, we have experienced delays in work while they did other jobs and they deny what we were told.
*March 9, 2013 called Americas Best to come save our carpet after water in our basement from melting snow and rain. We were delayed until 3/10/13 because they were busy. We were told there would be a website that would have pictures and updates on the progress of the project. That never happened even after I sent an email request to ****** on 3/30/13 for such.
3/11/13 When the carpet was wet I was using our vacuum to extract water even after AB had come in and used their "heavy duty" extractor. **** came and extracted some more in a very hurried way so they could get to another job. After they left I continued to use our vacuum extracting gallons of water. This was all after the leaking had been stopped. When I first called Saturday morning, March 9th, *** said the carpet would need to be dry in 72 hours to save it. The carpets were still damp when I went to work on 3/14/13 the next week, well beyond the 72 hours. When I got home that night my husband told me that the carpets had been rolled up that morning. I was very concerned because they were still damp in some places that morning. I had spent over an hour the night before making sure that most of the carpet was not touching the floor, so that air was blowing under the carpet. And had checked on them the next morning. When I shared my concern about the carpets I was told they would be taken to the shop and hung up to be cleaned and dried. I was under the impression that it would be done immediately since they were still damp. When I inquired about them 6 weeks later ******* said they were still rolled up and would be cleaned when they could clear a space on the floor large enough to clean them. They cleaned them on one side and then turned them over to clean them on the other side, much different than hanging them up! I assumed that they would hang and dry them immediately instead of leaving damp carpets rolled up for weeks before cleaning them. The carpet was returned to us on May 17, 10 weeks after the flood, and when I asked **** if he would let his kids crawl on the carpet his only response was that they had been cleaned and disinfected. When I shared my concern about the carpets his response was to change the subject and offered to keep tearing out more drywall to find the source of the mold smell without further charge. Most of that work has been completed, but completion is once again delayed while he is on a 2 week vacation. There is an area that **** told me that was only water stain and not mold. Later he asked why I told Luis not to tear out that part. I had not told him to not tear it out, I just relayed to Luis what **** had told me. The last time **** came to check on the basement I asked if he wanted to purchase the carpet, and he offered $1,500 for it. I said, "sold!" He was pushing for us to pay our bill. We went to the office and paid our bill. We have paid:
$1,500 on a credit card on 3/11/13
$3,000 more on credit card 6/5/2013
$760.46 with check number 8963 on 6/5/13
Our understanding was that we were finished with our bills with Americas Best. 6/6/13 We got a call from ****** saying that she needed to talk to us, I went to the office on 6/12/13 and she said **** claimed he offered me 50 to $100 for the carpet, not $1,500.
*The original quote over the phone was $1500 to save the carpet. We have spent $5,260.46 and the services we have received are tearing out some of the drywall, all of the carpet in the basement, and treating the walls for mold. We have had to hire others to come in to rebuild the walls and will have to purchase new carpet.
*We decided to put up thicker walls for better insulation since the basement is torn apart, so we tore out the rest of the drywall ourselves. We found more mold, just inches away from where the walls were treated by AB.
*The progress on our project has been delayed several times, for 2 weeks at a time, while Americas best works on other projects.
Requesting that the rolls of carpet be removed from our basement and the $1500 amount remains off of our bill for the amount we were originally offered for the carpet. The bill will be considered paid in full, and we do not want any more work to be done by Americas Best.
Seeking a refund of $2000 for additional expenses we incurred because of delays to the project and stress because of dealing with constant delays and lies. (Guests were put up in motels instead of our basement during our daughters graduation.)
Business' Initial Response
In response to the complaint filed by the customer, there are some facts that need to be clarified.
When our company initially received the call, our area had been hit with extensive flooding. I was very upfront with Mrs. ***** on this and we kept in communication to get her on the schedule. Our technicians were on sight and extracting by Sun 3/10/2013 12:41 PM. Mrs. ***** was still on her way back from Kansas. The type of carpet backing that was on the property was such to have a high moisture retention. Even after extracted with our truck mount unit, the water continued to wick back up from the carpet backing. **** demonstrated this to Mrs. ***** with the dry feeling of the carpet immediately after an extraction and then encouraged her to check it again in about 20 mins. The only way to get the moisture out completely was through the dehumidification process combined with the carpet dryers we had already begun at that time. The carpet was removed from the property and brought back to our shop and was cleaned, deodorized and stored there until the completion of the project and ready for installation. Upon responding to the water claim, it was discovered that the property had a pre-existing mold issue that needed to be resolved. Had there not been mold work necessary, the project could have been completed with a dry out in 7-10 days. This time frame is due to the amount of water on the property and the damage to the sheet rock which occurred before our arrival. The issue of the pricing towards any carpet because of Mrs. ******' dissatisfaction was in fact $50. to $100 and not the $1500. that is claimed. Our company is very comfortable with the results of the cleaning of the carpets otherwise we wouldn't have returned it to the residence. It is very unfortunate that the project had been extended however the extension had multiple factors that came into play as I mentioned before namely the extensive flooding of our area and the per-existing mold on the property from a previous moisture issue. Every customer that calls during a time of massive flooding and does not have insurance coverage is required to pay a down payment of $2500. to secure the job. Most jobs go beyond this amount due to the extent we go to salvage their property and the equipment we have available for use. We had been generous enough to only require a $1500. retention in this case. The project was also claimed to have been put on hold as "**** went on vacation for 2 weeks". Looking into this claim, **** was attending a training class during the time of 4/17-4/23. We require a secondary mold certified technician to quality check work to consider it complete.
In response to myself being directly named in the complaint as being the final point of contact, I have receipts to verify I was out of the country from June 5th thru June 15th. It would've been impossible for me to have been involved in those points of contact. The amount from the carpeting of $50 to $100 stands the same. We are not willing to compensate for the amount requested based on the fact that our company had performed an extensive amount of mold mitigation for the customer beyond what she was billed. This additional information is on a voicemail still retained by the owner of our company and has an estimated value of between $3500. to $4000. of additional FREE services for a preexisting condition in compensation towards her expressed inconvenience. In my conclusion there has been a concerning amount of incorrect information submitted by the complainant. Details provided to back up this claim against our company have also lacked the rest of the information. Our company had gone above and beyond given the situations that had arisen to include the additional services rendered at no charge to the ******' residence. As inconvenient as she makes it seem to have had family staying at a hotel, the convenience would have been equally inconvenient to have had them sleeping in an area contaminated by extensive mold.