BBB Accredited Business since 02/02/2000

Carpet King, Inc.

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

12/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Not willing to correct installation of carpet. Did not receive the correct product. Missing pad under carpet based on the quote that we paid.
*************************** made the purchases with Carpet King to install a blue carpet with pad and kitchen floor. We made the first payment on July 2, 2014 so that they can order the materials. We made arrangement for installation on Friday, July 26, 2014. The kitchen floor installation was done with no problems and with ease. The carpet installation was the nightmare. They came with the materials and started the process. They could not finish the project and were to come back the next date which would have been Saturday. They did not come. I had to make a call to make arrangements to get them to complete the job. During that time I noticed that they have not put down a pad. What they did was glue on a good wood floor.

The problem on August 5, 2014 was the carpet was unraveling by the seams which continued the bad installation. I made a phone call to the customer service area to complain that we did not receive the product that we purchased and also we are having a huge problem with unraveling. I requested for someone to come out to look over this installation work. The customer service person (************** Customer Service Manager) did not make any attempt to have someone come out he just wanted to argue with me that the contract said to glue. I have looked over this contract and it states that we should have had pad/glued along with carpet. I am also questioning the carpet that they brought us does not seem like the same carpet that was chosen.
This dispute is still going on since Sept. 2nd and no resolution has been made no attempt to come back and come out to see the issues. My Pastor had gone out to the company to talk with the customer service manager (**************)and of course he was not there. They keep telling us that they will contact us. What is truly very disappointing is that this was a fundraiser that our youth did for their space.
I do not think we are being unreasonable for someone to come out to see the work that was done and to go over and come to a resolution. At this time I would like to request a mediation with Carpet King and the Better Business Bureau.

I have been seeking for them to replace the work that we requested and paid for and that is the pad and correct carpet that was chosen.

or refund us $1900.

Ms. *******,

As requested by our customer, we are going to inspect the job site. The appointment is set for today Friday 11/21/14 at noon, with Ms. E., myself, and our installation manager *************.

We will report our findings to upper management, and our company will strive to reach an ethical resolution to this complaint.

I appreciate your help with this claim.

08/04/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charged my card without notify me, was never given a receipt. Tried to resolve both issues, no response/unhelpful.
On July 2nd we had a rep from Carpet King come to our home and give us a quote and on that day we decided to go with Carpet King to replace the carpet in our basement for $1900 for the next Monday, July 7th. On that day the rep took my debit card information and charged me the first $900 as a first charge never telling me when the rest of the amount would be charged. On the following Saturday, the 5th, I checked my account to see that I would have enough to pay the rest of the amount when the time came. When I did this however I found that the amount had already been charged and the business had made no effort to try to contact me. After this point I was throughly upset because of this breach of trust and the unethical behavior of the business in not notifying me that this would be happening. The morning if the 7th, the day of the installation I called to complain and ask why this had happened, the man who answer was unable to give me a reason and said that the person that was supposed to control this should have called me and notified me and he said that he would call me back when he had looked into, I never received a call back. Following this I sent an e-mail to the business on July 11th stating that i wanted a receipt which I never received, and wanted because they offer a lifetime guarantee and I wanted proof of the purchase, and would like an explanation for why I had been charged without notification. In this e-mail I stated that I would wait for 3 days until I would take my case to the BBB. The three days have passed and I have not received any type of communication from Carpet King nor a receipt.

I just want a receipt to be sent to me either through e-mail or regular mail.

Ms. *****,

I am sorry to see that our lack of communication with Mr. ***** has given him enough reason to write a letter expressing his concerns.

Mr. ***** will receive a mailed receipt from us as soon as possible.

We have charged Mr. *****'s card on July 3rd, and one day before the installation on July 6th. In order to keep installation and accounting separate, we prefer to collect any balance before the actual installation happen. Mr. ***** should indeed have been made fully aware of our process.

We apologize for our customer's inconvenience, and appreciate your help with this matter.

**************

10/28/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Very amateur installation. When I asked for a different crew to come fix it, they said they have to send the same team.
I paid $4600 to have laminate flooring and carpet installed in my house. I paid good money for a professional installation and instead got a very amateur installation. The carpet has a huge lump in the middle of the living room due to an almost 6 inch overlap in the carpet pad, there are 1/8 inch gaps between the carpet and the wall in many different areas, and the tack strips stick through the carpeting on the stairs. Not only was this crew terrible at installing the carpet, but they damaged my closet doors and furniture. I requested to have a different crew come fix the problems, since the first one was obviously not up to the task, but Customer Service Manager ************** says that this is not possible and that the original crew must come back to complete the work. He also states that they do not reimburse any amount for customer service, even though the labor was clearly not completed as agreed. He states that this was his "lead crew."

I do not want the same amateur crew working on my house again. I want a refund in the amount of $200 to $500. I have already had to rehang every closet door in my house, fix trim that was damaged, and fix my furniture that was damaged. Now I will need to take up the carpet in the living room to fix the overlap in the carpet mat, install new trim along the floors to hide the gaps that were left, and fix all of the tack strips on the stairs. I expect to be fairly compensated for my own labor, plus reimbursed for the labor that the installation crew did not perform as agreed.

Ms. *****,

Mr. ******* is absolutely right that we should have done a better job at installing the carpeting in his home! We have dispatched an alternate crew on 10/15/13, and the aforementioned issues have been resolved.
This complaint has generated a thorough internal review about our repairs policy. Against our company policy, we have sent an alternate crew to address the issues, which resulted in a highly improved experience for Mr. *******. Therefor, in our ongoing effort to improve the service we offer to our customers, we are considering changes in the way we address our customer's needs for repairs.

We are truly sorry for Mr. ********* inconvenience, and appreciate your help in addressing this matter!

10/08/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Floor ordered for our home does not match sample at store. 3 diff. people: store manager,cust.serv.& manuf.rep agree that floor doesn't match.
We remodeled our kitchen in August. We were debating on which type of floor to place in our kitchen. We are previous customers of Flooring Expo in Edina and felt that we would be in good hands. After meeting with ******, the store manager, he recommended going with a dark cork floor. I was extremely nervous about the floor,but he insisted we would love it. He came to our home with two samples and we decided to go with the dark cork. They installed it two days after we paid for it We purchased the floor on August 26, 2012 and made partial payment of $1,000. Then on August 27,2012 we completed transaction with remaining balance of $842.78. We made the payment on our visa credit card. They installed the next day. When I came home from work, I almost screamed. The floor wasn't even close to the sample that we had agreed upon. The floor was orange, not the dark color like we had agreed upon. Also, this was a click and lock floor. There was no area that needed glue. However, we noticed a spot that had already buckled and the installer tried to fix it by using glue. It was completely noticeable and quite an eyesore. I immediately left a voice mail for ****** to contact me as soon as he returned to work. I came to find out that he was out for the next two days. When I spoke with ******, I asked that he come look at our floor. He asked that I first bring in a sample of the floor that had been placed in our home. Upon bringing it in, he phoned shortly after saying that there was no need to come to our home, that clearly the store sample and our floor did not match up. He said that he would be sending the sample to corporate and that they would be dealing with me now. A few days later I heard from ******** at Carpet King. He was rude, and very unhelpful. He agreed that the two samples do not match up but, "Cork is a natural product and that there is always a 10% variance in the product." I was never told this by anyone. I immediately checked my contract to see if this was written anywhere. It is not. The next day, ******** left me a voice mail saying that it would be a few weeks before they knew anything. I, in turn left him a voice mail that this was unacceptable. I called him again and found out that he was meeting with the manufacturer's rep that afternoon and would be showing him the sample. I asked him for the manufacturer's representative's number. I left him a voice mail and asked that he call me back. After meeting with ********, ***********(M.R) called and left me a voice mail. On this voice mail(that I have saved), he says that the floor we received does not match the store sample. He then went on to say that the store sample was probably "two to three years old, and there was probably some fading." He went on to say that he is sending the samples to the factory, but doesn't know if they will do anything for us. We paid over $1,800.00 for this floor. We have had three people: the store manager, the customer service representative, and the manufacturer's representative tell us that the floor doesn't match what we were promised, and yet nothing is being done. I have asked repeatedly that they come and remove this floor because it is completely unacceptable and we DO NOT want an orange floor in our kitchen. It is quite simple, we were promised one product and received something different. We are extremely disappointed in the way that we have been treated. We have used Flooring Expo in the past to carpet our whole lower level. We expected to be treated better than this. There have been no answers, no resolution, no apologies from anyone on their end. Meanwhile, we are at a standstill with the rest of our re-model. We are waiting to put in our edging, refrigerator and our stove until we get a different floor. At this point, I would like them to come and remove the floor, or we are happy to do it and return the product to them, but we would like a complete refund and will take our business elsewhere.

We would like an installer to come and remove the floor, and a complete refund on our credit card of $1,842.78.

Ms. *****,

Flooring Expo has offered to replace the flooring; the customer is re-selecting another flooring product.

We appreciate your help.

07/25/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I HAD ORDERED CARPET TO PLACE MY HOME UP FOR SALE AND FOUND OUT MY FORECLOSURE WAS FINAL AND COULD NOT SELL ME HOUSE. I INFORMED ********** MY SALES PERSON MY SITUATION AND HE SAID I WOULD ONLY GET 35% OF MY DEPOSIT BACK. THAT WAS THREE WEEKS AGO. I CALLED LAST WEEK AND HE SAID HE SPOKE WITH HIS SUPERVISOR AND I WOULD GET A LITTLE MORE THAN THAT BACK. I CALL EVERY WEEK AND **** KEEPS GIVING ME A DIFFERENT STORY. HE SAID I WOULD GET SOME MONEY BACK!!!!

I WOULD LIKE HALF OF MY DEPOSIT BACK $230.00

Ms. *****,

Carpet King has mailed a $228.64 refund check to this customer on 07/16/12.

We apologize for our customer's inconvenience and appreciate your help in handling this issue.

I did finally recieve a refund but it took 1.5 months and contacting the BBB to get them to respond.

10/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Purchased $10,000 worth of carpet. Carpeting in one room was installed 3 times. Seeking compensation for delays and my time spent to resolve.
Store: Flooring Expo - Edina
Invoice: **********

Purchased a total of $10,000 of carpeting for residence. Charge for carpet in dispute was $1,630.82
Carpet $1,282.14
Pad $224.80
Installation $37.00
Optional Charges $86.88
$1,630.82

3/21/14: Purchase date

9/20/14: Final installation date
______

5/23/14: Carpeting was installed to meet deadline before graduation party, however the final strip of carpeting was a distinct darker color. (Took 1st vacation day)

5/27/14: Contacted Customer Service Manager: **************

5/27/14: Sent pictures of problem area, as requested.

7/?/14: Carpet re-installed (Took 2nd vacation day).

8/4/14: Sent new pictures of problem area, as requested.

8/18/14: Requested update.

8/19/14: Instructed to select another carpet brand.

8/?/14: Selected new carpet at Flooring Expo.

9/15/14: The third carpet installation was scheduled for this date, but no installers came. (Took 3rd vacation day). Contacted Customer Service Manager who admitted error in scheduling.

9/15/14: Repeatedly requested call from Carpet King management to discuss service issues. No call was ever received.

9/20/14: Carpet installed (4th day required to complete job). While color difference is less apparent, it still exists.

TIME SPENT BY CUSTOMER:
24 hours: 3 days of customer's time

While 4 days were required, the first day is implied in the purchase and has been excluded. Full days are used because the installers didn't arrive until late morning (even when the first appointment of the day was promised)and installation takes 3 - 4 hours.

1 hour: Two instances of taking pictures, downloading and submitting to Customer Service Manager.

2 hours: Six instances of moving furniture in or out of room (20 minutes each instance times two people).

2 hours: Trip to select new carpeting brand.

2 hours: 23 telephone conversations with Customer Service Manager @ 5 minutes each.

SUM OF HOURS SPENT
31 hours @30 per hour = $930

PLUS
Compensation for delay in completion = $500
(4 months from initial installation date)

EQUALS
$1,430 total compensation

***Corresponding documents attached.

October 10, 2014

Re: Case # ********: *** ******

Ms. *******,

I apologize for Ms. ******'s less than ideal carpet purchasing experience.

We very rarely encounter repeated claims on the products which we sell. Ms. ****** has kindly helped us process the claims by sending pictures and, yes, by communicating with us as needed. We are very grateful for that.

We have tried to make up for the error in scheduling by completing the installation on Saturday. I am very sorry to hear that there is a less apparent but still visible color difference with the new carpet as well. We can process a claim as needed. We recognize that this would inevitably take more of Ms. ******'s time.

Please review the enclosed signed contractual agreement. Our contract with Ms. ****** clearly specifies that "It is understood that the installation cannot be precisely scheduled and The Company shall not be liable for lost wages or compensation for time spent waiting, or inconvenience due to customers inability to use any portion of his premises during the order, reorder or installation of the product". I am truly sorry, but we are unable to compensate Ms. ****** for her time invested in processing this claim.

What we have promised, and we are doing, is processing a $244.80 refund for the difference in price between Ms. ******' new carpet and her originally selected carpet. Ms. ******'s new carpet style "Centerpoint" sells for $4.99 per square foot, while Ms. ******'s originally selected carpet style "Interior" sells for $5.79 per square foot. This installation called for 306 square feet.

I apologize for our inability to meet Ms. ******'s, and our own expectations.

We appreciate your help with this matter.

***************
Manager, Customer Service

I still don't feel that I'm being heard.

1) Carpet King's response is authored by the Customer Service Manager. This is confusing to me as he has told me several times that he does not have the authority to make exceptions. I'm at a loss why my numerous requests to talk with someone with decision making authority continue to be ignored.

2) Carpet King's response describes my experience as "less than ideal" and doesn't dispute any of the facts I provided. However, nothing is offered to remedy the 31 hours of my time required to complete the installation of one room of carpeting. The reference that their contract protects them from responsibility seems "robotic" and short sighted to me.

3) Carpet King's response refers to a refund that they are "processing". It has been 3 MONTHS since I selected the new carpeting. I have not yet received the refund due to me.

When I purchased the $10,000 worth of carpet, the sales person I worked with was excellent. I find it hard to believe that Carpet King stands behind the customer experience I have endured since that time. I would sill welcome the opportunity to discuss my concerns, by phone, with someone higher in the company than the Customer Service Manager, as I remain a very unhappy customer.

***corresponding documents attached.

Re: Case ********: *** ******

Ms. *******,

I apologize for Ms. ******'s less than ideal carpet purchasing experience.

Please review the enclosed signed contractual agreement. Our contract with Ms. ****** clearly specifies that "it is understood that the installation cannot be precisely scheduled and The Company shall not be liable for lost wages or compensation for time spent waiting, or inconvenience due to customers inability to use any portion of his premises during the order, reorder or installation of the product". I am truly sorry, but we are unable to compensate Ms. ****** for her time invested in processing this claim.

What we have promised, and we are doing, is processing a $244.80 refund for the difference in price between Ms. ******' new carpet and her originally selected carpet. Ms. ******'s new carpet style "Centerport" sells for $4.99 per square foot, while Ms. ******'s originally selected carpet style "Interior" sells for $5.79 per square foot. This installation called for 306 square feet.

I apologize for our inability to meet Ms. ******'s, and our own expectations.

We appreciate your help with this matter.
***************
Manager, Customer Service

10/31/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Carpet King refuses to give me a receipt with the total amount broken down. I don't believe I received the pad I paid for.
Re: invoice #********. Ordered carpet on 9-19-13 from a home consultation. Was given a purchase agreement that only showed the total price owing. I ordered a pad upgrade at the time of ordering. I paid the charges and the carpet was installed on 9-30-13. It does not feel like it is a deluxe pad. The floor is just plain hard! I called my salesperson and asked to have a receipt with the totals for labor, pad and carpet broken down and the square footage they used to figure the price. I wanted to check everything before I made a complaint about the pad. I should have asked for this type of breakdown before I placed the order and now I'm sorry I didn't, but I didn't think it would be a problem. The salesperson said she couldn't give me that kind of receipt and referred me to her manager, Mr ************, who I could never contact. I called the Carpet King office, and they inform me that they never give a receipt with the detail that I'm asking for. I suspect that their business practices are fraudulent and I may have been overcharged and not received the carpet pad upgrade I paid for. They offered to come out and pull up a corner of the carpet to check the pad, but I have lost trust in this company and don't want them in my house again. I really only want a receipt showing the detailed charges as I requested. I held up my end of the bargain and paid the bill and paid it in a timely manner. I feel Carpet King owes me the courtesy of letting me see what I paid for.

I want a detailed receipt showing price and name of the carpet, the price of the pad, the labor, and the total square footage for the project.

I am including Ms. ********'s contract, and a receipt. The name of the carpet and pad are spelled out on the contract. The square footage involved was 384 square feet. We do not break down the receipt beyond that. Unfortunately, we are unable to change this policy for Ms. ********.

With no success, we have offered to check the pad, since it appears to be part of our customer's concern.

I apologize for our customer's inconvenience, and appreciate your help in handling this case!

**************
Customer Service Manager

This is the same exact document I have already received from Carpet King. It does not break down the costs that I have requested. I would like to know exactly how much went to labor, carpet, pad and any other misc. expenses. That is all I am asking. It may be their policy to not issue this type of receipt, but in the interest of keeping a customer happy I would think they could come up with something! I am not asking for anything monetary! Carpet King's unwillingness to give me this information tells me they are hiding something from me. I was a foolish consumer to not have checked on them before making a purchase and I now regret doing this. Won't happen again.

Carpet & Rug Dealers - New, Linoleum Dealers, Floor Materials - Retail