BBB Accredited Business since 02/02/2000

Carpet King

Phone: (952) 435-2066

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

12/12/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Carpet King changed terms of contract by demanding payment above amount agreed to for product without explanation.
I purchased laminate flooring and carpet for my entire house with install and hall away. I agreed to pay 4,864.36 for laminate I paid 2,432.18 on date of contract agreement. The night before install on the laminate I received a phone call from my sales person *** ****** that said I owed $2432.18 for the laminate install and flooring. I questioned CK representatives, measurer, and sales person three times about the need for sub-flooring and was told I would not need that installed. Should I need sub-flooring I knew cost would go up and I would have carpet in those areas instead. They also agreed to move my appliances. When the installer came they immediately said I needed sub-flooring, they didn't know about the appliances, and they didn't have on their blue print that I had a powder room with a sink and bathroom. I told them the first person to measure had not done it right and I had someone else come to verify. The installer called his boss. The man from CK called and said I would have to pay an additional $800.00 I said no as I had it all clarified per my contract and it is not my fault that they screwed it up. Sub flooring is not unforeseen it is pretty standard. I had one area carpet and one area viynl that was to have laminate installed. I had other companies come out that would charge me for sub-flooring and that is why I was so diligent asking about it. To get the work going I agreed to $500.00 extra and said I would take it up with Burnsville to get my money back since it was their error. He was rude and intimidating, I had all of my furniture out of the house, and I felt pressured to say yes. As of this date they have not finished a part of my floor leading to the basement and never put my toilet back in.
My contract for the carpet was for $2952.80 including delivery, install, and haul away. I paid $1476.40 at signing of contract. This area was also measured twice to verify the square footage. I owed $1476.40 when the installer came he said he needed a check for 1,800.00 I said that is wrong per my contract and with no explanation he said "well if you don't pay it I can't install it" I felt again intimidated and frustrated. I called CK before they left and *** ****** said she would take care of it. I still have not been given ANY reason for the over charge. It is typical bait and switch. I have called and stopped in numerous times. No one will contact me and when I contact them they say they are working on it and I am getting a refund. Today 12-7-12 I talked to someone at Burnsville who isn't involved and he looked at my file and told me he does not see anything done. The manager at Burnsville said in front of me it is over his head and has not helped at all. I left a voice mail with customer service, but have not heard. I talked to *** ****** again today who said she is writing the CEO but I don't buy it. I over paid a total of 823.60 and my floor is not done.

I want the full per contract $824.60 back. I want them to come and finish my floor or pay me to contract someone to finish.

Carpet King has contacted me will an offer of a full refund. I am currently waiting for the check in the amount of over payment.

I forgot to include the invoice numbers. For the laminate it is ********** The total floor removal where sub-floor was put in is 588sq ft the contract says over existing floor.
The carpet invoice is *********.
flooring was installed November 13-16th. Checks were cashed the week of the 19th despite my dispute with them.

01/03/2013Problems with Product / Service
11/15/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

the carpet we ordered came i the wrong color two nights before installation. They offered uswhat they had in stock and was installed 5 days later.
Carpet Instalation 10/9/12 ManorMIST carpet with Stainemaster Pad Deluxe.
invoice # **********
Change order # 20, Rep: *************
Price $2397.67
I came home to find our front door scrathced badly, the new deadbolt damaged, and the door jam under frenchdoors broken. Our iron railing freshly painted was damaged in a few places. Paint scrapped off and dents. Walls in every room have scratches from the juut back and a few walls have gauges in them one corner of a wall has been scrapped so bad, it is showing the tape and metal corner rounds. The installers left garbage everywhere. Bags from carpet were hanging in closets, and the stickers fromcarpet bags, were removed from the bags, and stuck on our newly stained window casings. One plastic bag was found shoved in a heat vent. THey never vacuumed anything, and there were several razor blades and staples through out the house. One razor blade was found by our 9 yr old, and one stapled was in my foot. All of our walls, that were freshly painted and custom colors in all rooms, are now destroyed. They all need to be re painted as the touch ups dont cover up.. The 6 inch baseboard trim we put in the night before, Painted and carefully put in so carpet could arrive the next day, was damaged in several palces. Paint and wood scratches everywhere. Icalled right away to complain to **** at the bursville store.. He said he would call the sub contracors boss to let him know. I had no idea that carpet king hired out someone else to install our capret either. WE were told that someone would contact us from the insurance company of the installers. We have yet to hear from anyone.. I sent all the pictures to **** at Carpet King, as well as the other company.. They pretty much told me that I shouldn't tell them how to act on this. I demanded they give us back the value of the carpet for the next installation we had scheduledfor the rest of the house. They said that they couldn't give us back such a high value of $1750.. WE already spent $22397.20 for what they had installed, and they destroyed our whole house. THey offered to send a painter in tofix the walls, but I delclined that, as I handed painted all of them and had custome colors and techiques. THey then said to give them and estimate of the damages.. After going over the amount to fix the house, I then sent an email to them.. THey said that they cannot fix such a high value.. I told them they need to compensate us for the damage they made. I asked to give us the value of the carpet for our LOwer Level,(hasn'tbeen installed yet, and is valued at $1750. They disagreed, and said I should tell them how to handle this.. I am very upset that my house is destroyed, and that Carpet King isnt standing behind their name.

WE originally asked to have our lower level carpeted at no cost to cover the damages that I will persoanlly need to do over time.. The value is $1750 to capret out lower level. At teh time they didnt install it as were told they could do it at a later date, as it is considered 2 seperate installs because they upstairs is on wood and the lower is in cement.
Our damages we believe are well over than what we are asking. At this point I feel a full refund n the install it self is compensation the is reasonable. I Dont want this company nabck in my house. We spent 2 months gutting thi home, painting it. the carpet was the icng in the cake for us.. Now we have a huge mess and a lot of stress. Our daughters room is horrible. She painted her own room on her 9th birthday,and now its ruined. WE were suppose to have our house warming party a few days after the instal of our capret. WE ended up having it, but had to show our friends and family all the damage in our home, rather than the beauty we had hoped for.
I gave several pictures as well. WE make seek legal advice if this isn't resolved soon

Ms. *****,

We are very sorry that the installation of the carpet in Mr. *****'s home gave reasons for concern.
We expect our subcontracted installers to treat the customers and their homes with respect and care. Unfortunately, the customer says that the installers did some damage during the installation.

Please let me state one item of note: this order was for $2876.19, not in excess of 22 thousands.

As the customer mentioned in their letter, we have offered to send a handyman to remedy the damage and that offer has been declined. In turn, we have refused the customers demand of installing carpet and pad in the downstairs area of her home at no charge. We are however, concerned with this claim and have asked the subcontracted installer to file a claim with his insurance company. Mr. *****'s claim no is American Family Insurance Claim *********.
The customer is correct in their assumption that after they refused our direct help, they cannot dictate how we handle this claim.

I apologize for the customer's inconvenience and appreciate your help with this matter.

I really feel that Carpet King doesnt care about this situation.. No one has contacted us since our first complanit. I receved a call from the insurance adjuster from the (subcontractors) insurance. He came out and estimated the damages of the walls and railings, door and door lock.. I haven't heard a response on anything for a week. I am very upset that this happened to begin with, and that It isn't being handedled in a manor that pleases a customer. Of course they have insurance, but thay only helps for actual damages, if at that. It took us about 4.5 hours to clean up after them. all the scraps of carpet everywhere, vacuuming over and over.. Searching for sharp objects afer steping on a staple that went right throught my foot, and my 9 year old finding razor blades in her room. What about all the garabge they left behind? (bags shoved in heat vents, and thrown in closets)? Or the stickers on window casings, that we just finished staining? What does Carpet king plan to do about that? Insurance adjuster said that is not his duties. He is physically looking at damages, and he also said he would give the estimate, but doens't mean we are granted everything he has estimated.

Back to the first letter.. Yes, the damages were not 22thousands in dollars.. that was clearly a typo. We were asked if a "painter" could come out and touch up only.. I dont know how that is even possible, as the walls are custom colors and techniques.. You can't just "touch up"!! The insurance guy said he would send out a requaest for paint in each room and 1 hour of labor.. Just for the record, it took alot longer than 1 hour to paint.. They are also putting in a REQUEST for the value of our door, in hopes it will cover the price of a new door.. I am pretty sure the value of the door now, and the price of the new door is extreemley different, seeing how this was a special ordered door. I am pretty sure we wont get enough to cover a whole new french door... The front door is damaged badly, barely shuts now, and we found carpet padding shoved in the latch that locks the 2doors together, so now it doesn't stay locked. The threshold was broken on that day, and now, the door is starting to shift down, which is why the adjuster put in his estimate for a whole new door and lock set.. HE said they go by the depreicated value of the door. I am so upset that this is being handled in this manor. I truely feel Carpet King should have stepped up the plate, and taken repsonsability for who THEY hired to come to my home. WE never dictated what they do for us as a compansation. We just asked... I get that they have insurance, and it will go through the insurance, but does that just mean Carpet King is off the hook now.. I feel that Carpet King should compensate us somwhow. We paid alot of money for their product, and in return, are getting a nightmare.

Ms. *****,

As described, we have filed claim ********* with the subcontractor installer's insurance company. Although the damage is obviously incidental, we are very concerned and have followed up with said insurance company on this customer's behalf.

At last check on 11/12/12 the insurance agent has told us that they are putting together a release form for this customer.
Please note that Carpet King will not pay any amount of compensation for this claim. Since we have offered to send repair people out and the customer refused, we expect the customer to handle this claim directly with the insurance company.

I apologize for your inconvenience and appreciate your help.
Manager, Customer Service