Carmotive, Inc.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

06/29/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I was told carmotive was able to finance a vehicle for me. I said I had $3000.00 to put down and they where ok with that but at the last minute said it had to be $3500.00 - I ended up running to my bank on the other side of the cities to get cashiers check came back gave them money and documents requested and signed contract. they started calling me and saying they could not verify my work - the next thing I know my car is repo'd and I had not even made the first payment. I got a run around from carmotive saying it was the lender and the lender said no it was not them it was carmotive. carmotive then wanted more documentation like a a W2 and bank statements after I had the car for over 2 weeks and said they would bring the car back. I waited for my car to come back and it never did - I was suppose to bring the additional paper work in first - I had stomach surgery only 4 days earlier to this and told carmotive that and know that with out a car I can go no where. The repossession person they sent was threatening - I was very nice to this person and surrendered the car as he asked and was trying very hard to work with carmotive to resolve issue by even calling my place of employment and risking my job to get them information. Later that evening after I finally figured out that they had no intention of bring the car back I received nasty test messages from the repo guy saying I would not get anything back.. lol - I was so scared I could not sleep. I thought I kept hearing noises out side. Now I just want my down payment of $3500.00 back and for carmotive to leave me alone.

I just want my personal items from the vehicle and my down payment of $3500.00 back.

Received business response via e-mail to BBB.

(BBB Note: Carmotive indicates having sent this response to BBB previously. Appears that Ms ****** also filed a complaint through the Minnesota Attorney General's office about the same time -- Carmotive provided a copy of its response to the AG as its response to BBB.)

Scan is attached; text of accompanying letter reads as follows:

"To whom it may concern;

The car was repossessed due to Ms ****** giving us false information about her employer. Carmotive was not able to verify the information needed from her employer. The bank was not also able to verify her employment. Carmotive and the bank repeatedly tried to get in touch with Ms ****** employer. Ms ****** did make a down payment of $3500, which was returned to her. If there is any personal stuff in the car, Ms ****** may come get personal items. Carmotive never told Ms ****** she was not able to get her personal belongings.

Sincerly,

Mike *******
Carmotive"

02/12/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I would like for Carmotive to fix the horn on my truck,, and that oil leak that stink so bad..
I don't think I should have to fix a horn that should have been working properly in the first place. I am making payments on the truck. And one of their mechanics told me there was no leaks on the truck.

I would like for them to repair the two problems!

Received business response via e-mail to BBB:

"Ida ******* Purchased a 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee on 6/25/14. Ida purchased this Jeep WITHOUT warranty and as-is. Carmotive did comply with all rules and regulations concerning as-is policies. MS ******* has had this jeep for over 7 months. Carmotive is Not liable for any repairs on this car.

Thanks

************
Sales and Finance Manager
Carmotive"

Well I understand what you are saying? But there were so many things going wrong until when you get one thing straighten out, then here is something else. I believe you knew everything that was wrong with this lemon, that is why it was as is, no warranty. I learned to not trust like that again. GOD says trust no man. But if this is how you make A living by selling washed up cars to people to make money, then I pray for you, may God bless you!

09/22/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Was promised a written warranty for parts when work was done. Afterward the said they don't do any warranty in writing. Also installed cheaper part.
I bought a 2005 Honda Pilot on 7-12-2014 for $12,640.32 and put $100 cash down. They ask for 2 checks totaling in the amount of $1400 to hold on to until I can pay it later. They told me to tell the bank when they call that to say I paid the total amount of $1500 in full. They assured me the car was in great shape and never had any accidents. On 7-18-2014 I went with my husband and paid the $1400 and put it on his credit card. I got my 2 checks back only to see later that they had ripped out my signatures. While we were inside the establishment, one of the salesman name **** went to fix the loose rear view mirror on the car. On the way home, the check engine light came on. On 7-20-2014 we took the car to get it checked out by a mechanic and was told that it was the transmission. On 7-22-2014 we dropped off the car back to Carmotive to have them look at it. We got a call back from **** confirming that the issue indeed was the transmission. It would cost us $500-$700 for a brand new one with a lifetime warranty. My husband talked to **** and agreed to pay $500 for it. The next day, on 7-23-2014 we went back to Carmotive. We first met with **** and was told that now it's gonna cost $800. The manager name **** then came in and said That there is no new one. There is a rebuild one for $800 with a 6 months warranty or a $500 used one with 90 days warranty. **** urged me to go with the $800 rebuild due to durability and warranty. After some back and forth, I decided on the $500 used one. We would put $250 down, and then pay the remaining $250 on the 10th of August. I demanded that I get the warranty in writing before I put down any money. They proceeded to tell me that they can't do that until the part is ordered and the work is done. I refused. They assured me that they will have it for me. I reluctantly agreed. **** then ask if I can I pay in cash because their credit card machine is down. I told him no I didn't have cash. He told me if I can take cash from my credit card. I said no. He then suggested that can I get it and come back tomorrow? Again, I said no. He then said to try my credit card because sometimes the machine works and sometimes it doesn't. We charged $250 on it. On 7-25-2014, after speaking with a mechanic, I called **** and said I would rather go with the $800 rebuild one. He was really pleased with my new decision and assured me it was a better deal because of durability and warranty. The new payment deal would then be $250 on 8-10-2014 and $300 on 9-10-2014 plus the $250 I had already paid. Total of $800. On 7-30-2014 we went to pick up the car, and first met with will. He asked me about the new payment plans and I went over it with him. He handed me the keys, and I asked for the warranty papers. He told me they don't have it. I demanded for them. He then went and got ****. **** then started to tell me they don't do written warranty. I reminded them that they told me, once they have the part, and the work is done then they will have the warranty papers. They claim to never have said such a thing. We went back and forth. I took out the receipt that I made the first $250 on the transmission. I told mike that If he didn't have any written warranty documents then for him to write down the total $800 cost of rebuild transmission, The 6 months warranty, and the $250 that I already paid. He refused, and said they don't do anything in writing. I then told him to take his car back and that I'm leaving. He told me he would have it towed at my cost. My wife and I drove the Honda Pilot across the street and called the police. When the officer arrived we filed a report. He advised us not to leave the car there, or go there again, and also to dispute the charges and take them to court. So we left with the car. On 7-31-2014 the very next day we took the car to a mechanic to have the transmission inspected. He Informed us that it was a used one and not a rebuild.

After the incident we posted our story on facebook and got many replies of the same shady experiences they had with that particular Carmotive. They would say first put down X number of dollars. Then in a few weeks ask for more. Then again in a few weeks ask for more. Once the purchaser refuse then they threated to repo the car and the purchaser would lose the money that they had put down. Luckily for us we didn't have the car that long. At this point, We don't know what they will come up with next. We would like to void the contract, give them their car and give us our money back in full.

Received business response via fax to BBB.

Scan of original is attached; text of letter reads as follows:

"Re: Case #******** ******* ****

In response to your letter regarding ******* ****; Mrs **** came in on July 12, 2014 and purchased a 2005 Honda Pilot VIN *****************. At this time Mrs **** signed an As-Is warranty as well as denying a service warranty on her vehicle.

On July 20, 2014 we were informed that Mrs **** brought the vehicle to a mechanic due to a check engine light coming on. We informed Mrs **** to bring the vehicle in and that we would have it inspected. After the inspection we were notified that the transmission was faulty on the vehicle. **** ******* called the ****'s and explained that indeed the transmission was faulty and that the vehicle would need to be replaced. He also explained that they did not purchase a service warrant on the vehicle. Mrs **** explained to Carmotive that they could not afford a new transmission. Although Mrs **** did not purchase a Service warranty that was offered to her at the time of her purchase, Carmotive offered to assist the ****'s in purchasing and installing a transmission. **** asked Mrs **** to come in and sit down and discuss instillation of a transmission. At that point, **** explained to Mrs **** what the cost would be for a used or rebuilt transmission. After learning the cost of both, Mrs **** decided to install a used transmission. After the vehicle was completed, Mrs **** was called that the vehicle was ready to be picked up. When Mrs **** arrived, she asked **** for warranty papers on the vehicle. **** explained that there were no warranty papers given and in essence there was no warranty given on the transmission. When Mrs **** left with the vehicle, it was in proper working order. Carmotive was lawful in purchasing and installing the transmission for Mrs ****. In addition, Mrs **** still owes $500 for the installation of the transmission.

If you have any further questions, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

*************
Sales Manager"

07/23/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Purchased a car and was not disclosed that it had been in a accident.
The car was purchased on April 26th and spent about a month in the shop. After bringing it back numerous times to have the same thing fixed. I finally got it back a week ago and the check engine light came on, so I brought it to Nissan where I was told was in a major accident and needed $2800 worth of work. The dealership not only charged me full price, they are refusing to rectify the situation claiming they told me it was in an accident (they did not because I wouldn't have paid that price or even bought the car!) DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

I want them to take the car back and return my deposit of $2000 and the amount of my trade in $5000

Received business response via e-mail to BBB.

(Note: Letter is dated 6/23/14; e-mailed to BBB 7/14/14.)

Scan of original is attached; text of letter reads as follows:

"June 23, 2014
RE: Case # ********: **************

To Whom it May Concern,

The above mentioned customer came into Carmotive located at ************** Spring Lake Park, MN 55432 and purchased a 2010 Nissan Maxima April of 2014. The customer is claiming she was not made aware of the damage to the vehicle prior to purchasing. In our records we have a prior history vehicle disclosure for the aforementioned vehicle, VIN ending in ******. The disclosure lists frame damage and body/mechanical repairs performed exceeding $600.00. The form is initialed and signed by the customer. To say we did not make the customer aware of any damage prior to purchase is untrue. We also performed a substantial amount of repairs to the vehicle after purchase to appease the customer. Supportive documentation can be provided as necessary."

I do not believe I signed that document. My paperwork does not add up with what the business is saying. The signature doesn't look like mine, I do not have a copy of that document ANYWHERE in my paperwork and other documents that I do have (supplied by the dealer)state that the vehicle is in excellent condition (such as the auto check) and the purhcase order's damage disclosure that I have a copy of says nothing about frame damage. Where did this so called document come from? The vehicle still remains unsafe to drive. They sold a car that can KILL my family.

02/13/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I believe I was sold a lemon car after a couple days I was drivin the bmw 200il the oil pump stop workin and cause the engine to sese
I bought the car nov.25 of 2013 the car wasn't detail at all I had to bring it back nov.26 of 2013. The car was also knockin I ask the saler what was the knockin and he told me the car needed a oil change and needed to be detail to get I pick up my car and heard knockin sounds and the engine light was also on and I ask what's wrong with the car because the engine light was on and the saler told me it was nothin so I thinkin to myself like its something wit this car by it beenin a use car I was thinkin it was a mior proble so I'm drivin to the gas station and some one told me I need a oil change and so did the saler so I finally go get a oil change on nov.30.2013 before I got a oil change I called the shop to tell them the car was still knockin and the saler to me to go get a oil change and he will see about reinburtin me my money back for the oil change so I went to go get a oil change at *************************** told me that there was a standard bolt being used as a oil drain plug as a oil drain so the had a hard time trying to stop the oil from running ever where and then they told me that the car had a oil leakin dye and degress,power steering fluid suggest flush fluid is dirty. Which was severe, so was the air filter. I called the shop and let them know what was goin on wit the car and th car shop said they was going to fix it and I bring car back to the car shop on. Dec.1 2013 and I was told the car had been degress and ih had to sit over night. When I came to pick my car up up dec. 2 .2013 there was snow still on my car which means the shop didn't not do what they said would be done on my car and every since I had it I been havin problems wit my car and I kept tryin to get my money back but the sales man insene that the car will be fix and to bring it back so I said ok I'm I will give the sales another change to fix their mistikes. I was driving the car on dec.5 takin care business and on my way to take the car back so the car could be fix as I'm drivin the oil light and battery come on at the same time a couple sec. After the car stop in the middle of the street in a blew 0 weather so I called my insance company to tow the car and they told me it it would be a 4hr wait so I couldn wait it was freezin cold out and I called the car place to let them know what happen and they sent somebody to come and they called a different tow company so the car was towed to tires for less so after the car was tow I want back to the car place that I got it from and they told me they will call me as soon as they find out what was wrong with my car so I waited a few hrs and I called them dec.5 2013 over and over still didn't get no answer about my car and they kept tellin me to call back and talk to the sales man and I told to him finally after the rip and running they had me doin and he said he still didn't know and he was goin to call me back and neva did so dec.11 I finally got of tier of not knowin what was goin on with my car so I went to the car shop where my car was and they told me they insected my car and their opinion that the oil pump stop workin then the engine sease so didn't know what to do but to try and get my car fix and they kept sayin I would have to fince the engine which I didn't have money for and I have a warrent on the engine idk what to do. Bmw 2000I'll 740 payment down was 2,000 and it would be 3,000 to fix the car. They also are not answering the phone and keep saying the finance person is out. I left a message and still have not gotten back to me. Still not telling me what's going on with my car and how they want to go about this.

I am seeking to get my car fix or money back I put down for the car.

Received return call from Finance Manager **** ********, with reference to Ms *****'s complaint.

Mr ******** states that Ms ***** continued to drive her car after the engine light came on, and that her engine ultimately seized as a result. He says the BMW was functioning normally at the time of purchase and during test drives.

He explained that Ms ***** did purchase an extended warranty, but that it does not take effect until 90 days after purchase (approx Feb 24th), and that any repairs done at this point would be "out of pocket".

He says Carmotive has offered to work with Ms ***** in a number of ways, but she has refused offers to discuss financing her repairs, etc. He adds that Ms ***** was provided with a loaner car, but that this car was totaled shortly after it was loaned to her.

Mr ******** says Ms ***** can discuss with her warranty provider whether the necessary repairs would be covered once she hits the 90-day mark, and that the dealership is still open to discussing a payment plan for out-of-pocket repairs.

Carmotive feels it has attempted to work with Ms ***** toward a resolution, but given the terms of sale and the terms of Ms *****'s extended warranty, is unable to offer assistance beyond options it has already discussed with Ms *****.

My car went out in two weeks that i had my car which never should of happened i had got a oil change 5 days before it went out which was nov 30th so meanin it was oil in the car. I did not keep drivig my car when oil light came on the oil light and battery light came on at the same time and then the car stop in the middle of the street in a blew o dregree weather a nice man was nice and pulled his car over and push mines on the side of the road and the loner car has nothing to do with whats going on with my car my insurance paid for that and the loaner is not totaled because if it was i wouldn been able to driven it to work after the acciend and the next day i tried to turn the loner car on and the seem lights come on which come on in the bmw and i called carmotive to come get the car or the car was going to get towed off the parking which was getting ready to be cleaned after the snow storm. I called about a hr two after carmotive recieve the car ane **** said the car was loner running fine on dec 6 2013. I didnt want to get another loner car because i didnt wan to be blame for another car which i explain to **** and ****. I also called the warrant people and they said I wasnt in the system which i should of been as of nov.25 2013.Point is this car shouldnt even went out in two weeks.

Auto Dealers - Used Cars