BBB Accredited Business since 12/09/2005

Thielen Motors, Inc.

09/09/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I purchased a vehicle from Thielen Motors in Park Rapids MN which turned out to be a known lemon law car and i was not informed.
On 8/15/13 I purcahsed a 2011 Cadillac CTS car from the dealer. I was told it was perfect and a great car. First the miles were not as advertised or told to me by the salesman. They turned out to be about 1500 more. I was misled about the windshield condition, which had cips in it and about the vehicle detainling which they claimed to be completed. I found chocolate on the seat and candy pieces on teh dash afterwards. After the purchase I had a remote starter installed in the car, on 8/20/13, which was approved by the dealer when I purcahsed it. I also tried to have windshield repairs completed but was told the repair had been completed as best as possible and no more could be completed. I had the oil changed on 8/31/13 due to a strong gas smell in the oil which was very dirty. On 9/3/13 I contacted the dealership salesman about my license plates which had not arrived. I let them know the temp was going to expire soon. I then received a phone call from **** Thielen from the dealership letting me know he would send dealer license plates for us to drive on, and was then informed the reason for the license plate delay was that I needed to sign another form accepting the car as a manufacturer buy back/lemon law car. I was not informed of this buy back issue when I purcahsed the car and there was absolutely no mention of such information. I am very unhappy with the sales tactics of not disclosing the buy back information at the time of purcahse. the dealers usually buy these cars at a huge duscount and then offer to the public discounted but they inform them of the buy back.lemon law issues, as required by MN law. I am unhappy that there was an intentional piece of info left out on the sale of this car and how it was later just presented to push it through to me. This is not right.

I am first waiting for an option given to me from the dealership as well as any info they may have on the lemon buy back issues.

Received call from **** Thielen of Thielen Motors, with reference to Mr *****'s case.

Mr Thielen says that there was no intent to withhold information about the car's Lemon Law buyback status; the dealership was simply unaware of the car's status until it subsequently received paperwork to be filled out related to the buyback.

Mr Thielen indicates that once the dealership became aware of the oversight, it presented several options to Mr *****, including buying the CTS back from him for its full purchase price (plus the cost of the remote starter), or allowing him to keep the vehicle with Thielen issuing a $2,000 check to Mr *****.

Mr Thielen says Mr ***** indicated to him as recently as 9/5 that he intends to accept this offer and return the vehicle for a refund.

The dealership adds that Mr ***** made reference to not carrying insurance on the vehicle, as he does not consider himself to be the 'owner' of the vehicle given the titling issues.

Mr Thielen says this is incorrect, and expressed a willingness to come retrieve the car from Mr ***** rather than have him drive it back to the dealership, so as to avoid the possibility of any sort of insurance / liability issue for Mr *****.

Mr Thielen indicated that he intends to contact Mr ***** directly (likely 9/6) and make arrangement for return of the vehicle and Mr *****'s refund.

The dealership has since offered to totally reimburse all money spent by me. Thank you.

This matter has been resolved.

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Services, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Renting & Leasing, Auto Diagnostic Service, Auto Parts & Supplies - New, Auto Dealers - Used Cars