BBB Accredited Business since 02/06/2012

Mills Honda

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

08/17/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I went to Mills Honda on 8/7/15 for an oil change. They also changed the cabin air filter w/out notifying me or letting me decide if it was necessary.
On 8/7/15 I went to Mills Honda for an oil change. When I arrived, I told the service writer that the Maintenance Minder code was B12; he said that's an oil and filter change. I was not notified of any other things that would be done or their cost. When my car was done, the service writer went over the bill with me, item by item. The cabin air filter was one of the items that was done, for $110 ($80 labor/$30 part). I advised him that was done on my last visit, which was 1/24/15, which was less than 7 months ago. He said they change that at 20k miles. I said no way had I gone 20k miles since January. My mileage was at 64k on the 8/7 visit and he said the mileage on my record from Jan was 45k. I again said there was no way I had driven that many miles in that amount of time. He went to another record of my mileage in the computer and they had inputted it incorrectly, my mileage during the Jan visit was actually 54k, so I had driven only 10k miles between visits. The cabin air filter should not have been changed. The service writer then went to find the old filter but it had already been conveniently thrown away and could not be found, so they could not produce the filter to prove it needed changing. He stated the service technician said it was dirty and had pine needles in it. To me that sounds like a standard, canned response, especially since I live on BENT OAK Ln. There isn't a pine tree in sight. There would be NO pine needles in that filter. I work from home so don't even park a different location on a regular basis. All they could offer was an apology for their screw up on the mileage. No compensation or anything for the additional $110 I had to cough up for *no* reason. I feel taken advantage of by this dealership and will be taking my Honda service and future sales needs to another dealership in the future.

In an honest world where a company actually cares about it's repeat customers, I believe a refund for the parts and labor of the cabin air filter would be appropriate.

Please see the attachment: we are responding to the consumer via certified letter. To paraphrase our letter; we stand by our workmanship and the services performed, however as a gesture of goodwill we are refunding her $110 related to the replacement of the cabin filter. We are including a check for $110 with the certified letter. The letter and check are being mailed out today.

12/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Power steering pump was replaced with a used part,not fully disclosed. Repair had to be done again by another dealer at my expense.
March 22, 2014 we took our 2004 Honda Accord to Mills Honda, Brainerd for repairs. Our power steering was not working well. They were to replace the power steering pump but the replacement pump had not arrived as expected. They told me that they took the pump off their service manager's car and put it on our car so they could complete the repair. I assumed it was off of a new car and would be a new part. We later found out that it was off an older car, it was a used part and had no warranty. They never disclosed this information to me verbally or in writing. On the phone **********, service advisor at Mills Honda claims that this was fully disclosed to me, which it was not. I assumed it was a new part off a new car. They had given me a discount on the part and listed it on the invoice as a remanufactured pump, which it was not.
Turns out, the power steering was no more improved with this used part than the one that was on our car. As the months went by it got worse and got really loud. About 8 months later, I finally took it to a different Honda dealer (****** Honda, St Cloud) on 12-6-14. They found that the power steering pump was very loud and not working. They called Mills Honda to question them about the previous repair.
Mills Honda (********** and *************, service manager) wanted ****** Honda to submit the worn out pump back to Honda as a warranty repair on a remanufactured pump, which it was not. **** at ****** Honda told me that he could not in clear conscience submit a warranty claim for a used part that was pulled from another car. He said that would be fraud and when Honda would receive the part they would clearly see that it was an original part from an old car and not a remanufactured pump and they would be slapped with a $500 charge.
*** at Mills Honda refused to help me at all when I talked to him on 12-6-14 about this, so I had to pay for this repair again after they put an old worn out power steering pump in my car. This is not right.
They should be paying from my second repair and shouldn't have charged me so much for a used worn out part while not making it clear what they were doing.

Mills Honda needs to pay for the $421 that I paid to ****** Honda to redo the repair that they did not do properly or ethically.

Received business response via e-mail to BBB, 12-23-14.

Scan of original letter is attached; text of letter reads as follows:

"RE: Case ********; *** ***
Mills Honda, Baxter, MN

We are in receipt of your letter dated 10 December 2014 regarding the above referenced complaint. The following is our reply and provision of information pertinent to this complaint.

Our records and investigation show that Mr. *** brought his vehicle into the service department at Mills Honda in Baxter at 2:16 PM on Friday 21 March 2014. Mr. *** had a list of items he wanted looked at, which included a noise coming from the power steering. Our technician diagnosed it as a faulty power steering pump. Our Service Manager, *************, contacted Mr. *** on the phone. **** gave him the diagnosis and estimate for repairs which Mr. *** agreed to.

On Saturday 22 March 2014, the next day, we experienced a snow storm and our parts freight delivery was delayed. ************* called all of the parts stores in the local area to see if he could get a power steering pump for Mr. ***s vehicle. No one had any in stock. **** performed a parts information search through Honda. He determined that our General Sales Managers wifes vehicle had a matching part for Mr. ***s power steering pump model. Our General Sales Manager agreed, that in a gesture of good customer service, to disable his wifes vehicle to assist Mr. *** in getting back on the road if thats what it would take. **** then called Mr. *** to explain that our freight was delayed due to weather. Mr. *** stressed to **** that he needed his vehicle back that day. **** explained that we did have the option of installing a used power steering pump that would be the appropriate model for his vehicle. Mr. *** asked if it was off of a new vehicle and **** explained that it was not off a new vehicle, as a new vehicle would not have the same power steering pump as the one his vehicle needed. **** also clarified that because it was used part that there would be no warranty with the used power steering pump. We agreed to reduce the cost of the power steering pump to 18700 from $287.20 for a remanufactured power steering pump. Mr. *** agreed to proceed with this repair. (Reference copy of repair order included with this correspondence.)

Approximately 2 months ago, Mr. *** called and set up an appointment to come in to look at a leak he was experiencing. He said a local shop had told him he had a power steering leak and that we needed to fix it as it was our responsibility. Our Service Advisor, *** ******, informed him that indeed if we had installed or repaired something incorrectly that we would take care of it and him. Mr. *** brought his vehicle into Mills Honda and our diagnosis revealed that the vehicles power steering low pressure return line was leaking. This leak was not linked to, and could not be traced back to, our repair installation in March 2014. We then informed Mr. *** of the cost of this repair and that we would need to order parts to repair this leak. He became very upset, telling us that we should have parts in stock and he left our building. We are unaware if he ever had this repaired or replaced elsewhere.

On Saturday 06 December 2014, *** ****** received a call from **** at ****** Honda in St. Cloud. **** spoke to *** about Mr. ***s vehicle, power steering pump, and that **** had Mr. ***s vehicle there at ******. He asked *** about submitting a warranty claim on the pump that we installed on Mr. ***s vehicle so they can do the repair. *** looked the vehicle up and did not see that it was notated that we had installed a used power steering pump. **** then told *** that it was a used pump. *** indicated that he didn't see that in the notes but if it were a new pump it would be eligible to submit a warranty.

*** called *************, and verified indeed it was a used power steering pump that we installed. Mr. *** called and spoke to *** ****** also that day. Mr. *** insisted that we should pay for replacing his new power steering pump. Mr. *** stated that we did not put it in his paperwork that it was a used pump. *** stated that yes it was true that it was not noted in the paperwork, and *** also clarified that ************* had fully informed him of the fact ahead of time that this pump was used. Mr. *** agreed that he knew that it was a used pump but it was not on his paperwork, and Mills should take care of it.
Through our research and review of this complaint, we have determined that we indeed properly informed Mr. *** prior to installing the used power steering pump and that he was fully aware that it was a used pump. Our paperwork on this repair order was incomplete and did not include the specifics on the power steering pump being a used part with no warranty.

****** Honda is substantiating the fact that a used power steering pump is in Mr. ***s vehicle, and we also have confirmed with the individuals that actually did the work that it is a used power steering pump, and we would not have proceeded with the repair without full disclosure to the customer and his authorization. However, due to us not having the proper documentation on the repair order which Mr. *** was given, we are willing to provide Mr. *** with the requested reimbursement of 421.00 as a gesture of goodwill to take responsibility for any miscommunication that our documentation Created.

Thank you again for your assistance with this complaint.

*********** Brainerd Dealerships Group General Manager"

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Services - Oil & Lube, Auto Services, Transmissions - Truck, Tractor, Transmissions - Automobile, Engines - Rebuild & Exchange, Engines - Fuel Injection Service & Parts, Brake Service, Auto Repair - Power Steering, Auto Repair - Steering & Suspension, Auto Repair - Suspension, Auto Repair & Service, Clutches, Auto Dealers - Used Cars