BBB Accredited Business since 06/24/2005

Luther Bloomington Acura Subaru

11/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

When performing a diagnostic on my vehicle the service technician left my car's battery damaged and drained. Seeking diagnostic refund
When performing a diagnostic on my vehicle the service technician left my car's battery damaged and drained. When vehicle was picked up the starter barely turned over and when car was returned home the battery was dead.

Amount charged to me for the diagnostic work

This vehicle came to us to diagnose a power steering noise/leak & Tire pressure light on with an error message. Plus they had damaged one of the outside mirrors and wanted an estinate. We called Mrs. ***** and told her the power steering pump was noisey and failing and one of her power steering hoses was leaking. The tire pressure issue was being caused by 2 failed tire sensors located in her tires. We also discussed the mirror which had a broken housing and actuator. We then continued to go over our complimentary multi point inspections, which we do at every visit. There were several items noted. One of the items discussed was the battery's state of performance. We explained that it had failed the batter test and she would be in need of a new one. The battery tested 320 out of 550 cold cranking amps. The battery replacement was declined as were all the other recomendations, including brakes, tires, wipers ect. We have not done damage to Mr. *****'s battery or electrical system as he states, the fact is that this battery was weak and failing when it came to us. Which again was discussed with them.
We have tried to resolve Mr. *****s complaint and explain to him that there is nothing we could have done to make his battery go dead and even offered him $100.00 off towards future service as a goodwill gesture, but Mr ***** declined. Mr ***** also states he took this vehicle to another qualified mechanic with confirmation of "damage" but when asked to review such documents, Mr ***** refused. He stated to me in an email that in exchange for a full refund he is willing to:

1. Pull his review off of Yelp and Google
2. Not send information to Acura USA
3. Not file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau
4. Not include additional compensation to repair the damages done to my electrical system in my vehicle.
We do not agree with reimbursing Mr ***** for the diagnostic work that was agreed upon and completed on his power steering and TPMS concern. We feel we have no obligation in this matter as his battery was weak and failing upon arrival.

03/15/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Purchased new Acura MDX from dealer. Recurrent battery problems unresolved.
Purchased Acura 2011 MDX from dealer. On delivery, vehicle had note of low battery - was told by salesman this was due to it being on the showroom floor without being plugged in.

Manufacturer required update of battery sensor system - brought vehicle in to have completed. Upon picking up the vehicle from the service center, new check engine lights were on. Required additional evaluation and was told everything was fixed. Subsequently, vehicle intermittently would displace low battery indicator upon exiting the vehicle. Discussed on many occasions with the service department. Brought vehicle back to have tested - they said a new sensor cable was the cause and was replaced. Recurrent problems, again back to dealer service center. In January, vehicle would not start, required jump start, brought to dealership, multiple days of testing and contacting Acura engineer/tech line. I was told the battery needed to be replaced and that they had found the source of a parasitic draw on the battery which was the clutch system. This was replaced. Upon picking up the vehicle, a new warning light was no, again had to go back into the service center for re-evaluation. Several weeks later, the battery warning light again came on - spoke with Mark - the general manager, brought vehicle back in, they called me and said, "we have a part ordered, should be fixed by 2/19/2013." Then called and stated that the vehicle's after market smart start remote start system was the cause. This was installed by a third party vendor RECOMMENDED by the dealership. They said vehicle was ready to go and that they needed thier loaner car back. I asked that they bring the vehicle to the recommended thrid party vendor to coordinate repairs and dealer declined to do this. I then stated that I would pick up the vehicle afternoon of 2/20/13 but they then said it would not be ready because "the entire dash has been taken apart".

I have filed a complaint with the manufacturer for review as well.

This vehicle is not functioning as would be expected for a 2011 vehicle. I have spent over 20 hours of missed work bringing the vehicle back to the dealership for service, waiting for jump starts due to malfunctioning battery, and explaining what is not working. I believe the vehicle should be replaced under the MN Lemon Law and appropriate compensation for my time provided.

In response to Mr. *******' resolution for having his vehicle fall under the Minnesota Lemon law; he would need to bring this issue to the attention of the manufacturer, this would not be handled at the dearleship level.

In regards to his complaint, we did not recommend Sunroofs Etc/Auto Extreme to Mr. ******* for the installation of the aftermarket remote engine starter. In fact, we have not done business with them in the last 4-5 years.

We have spoken with them in attempts to assist Mr. ******* with repair to his vehicle and they informed us that he told them that he had looked for an aftermarket company who installs aftermarket remote engine starters and he came upon them by using Google. We also know that he owns a Lexus which had an aftermarket remote engine starter installed on it in October of 2011. He had his aftermarket remote engine starter installed on his Acura MDX in November of 2011.

Mr. ******* never mentioned to us in the last 18 months that he had an aftermarket remote engine starter installed. If we had not discovered the bypass unit that was installed by the aftermarket vendor we would more than likely still be trying to diagnose the problem

We contacted the aftermarket vendor and brought his vehicle to them and they determined that the bypass had malfunctioned and replaced it with a new one.

We believe that since Mr. ******* had installed an aftermarket product without our knowledge or recommendation that we have satisfied our obligation to him.

Upon receiving the vehicle after the remote bypass had been corrected, I noted that there was a "lawnmower" type engine noise that was markedly different from prior to the vehicle being serviced. I drove the vehicle for several days hoping that this abnormal noise would resolve itself. When my wife drove the vehicle one day last week, she independently noted the abnormality. I subsequently called Lisa at Acura and scheduled a to drop the vehicle off for further evaluation.

I am hopful that the next time I pick up the vehicle from the service center that it will be returned to normal working order...

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars