BBB Accredited Business since 11/03/2008

07/10/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Refused work after being told the repairs would be made. Did not notify me they are refusing to make repairs after confirmed with **** the Manager.
I brought my car to Heppner's to repair as State Farm recommended. After several days they called and told me about the hidden cost and the quote went up due to needing a new hood (how they missed the bent hood I do not know). I told them I would like to look into a settlement with State Farm and immediately ******* was upset I said that. She told me I would receive a call back with the amount left from the repairs they already made in 20 minutes but failed to do so. I spoke with my brother about the situation and asked for advice since he has experience auto repairs. The next day I called ******* and asked what the cost was at and reminded her she forgot to call me back like she promised. She told me that they are not repairing my veichle and that my brother had called and told them not to do so. I was shocked of course and mentioned I did not authorize my brother to make any decisions on my car. I spoke with **** the Manager and told him the situation he said they didn't make the decision based on what my brother said which was what I was told by ******* but I'm sure he is covering for her mistake. Bottom line is the last I spoke to Heppner's was with **** and he agreed to make the repairs, I also contacted State Farm and told them to authorize the repairs. This is now a week later and I find out no repairs are being made and aren't going to be made and the my car is sitting outside with the parts next to it. Not even a call after a week from Heppner's to let me know the car is just sitting there with no intent to be fixed. I've never experienced anything like this.

I would like towing charges reimbursed since they refuse to do the work they agreed upon. They had authorization from myself and State Farm to make the repairs and have refused to do so without notifying the customer.

To Whom It May Concern,

On Monday June 4th, Mr.****** ****** brought in his 2006 Ford Taurus due to damage from an accident (see attachments). Mr. ****** was not a scheduled customer, but between himself and State Farm already had a rental set up and was prepared to leave the car at the shop. I went out to the car with Mr. ****** and went over the damage. I asked him if there were any drive-ability issues that he had noticed and he did state that the car seemed to be pulling now since accident. I told him we would get an alignment check done while the car was in. I explained to him that we were very busy and would get the car in and taken apart within the next day or two and that I would follow up with him then. Mr. ****** signed an authorization sheet (see attachment #1) to repair the vehicle and then left the shop with the Enterprise rental vehicle.

On Wednesday June 6th, I called Mr.****** and left a message on his voice mail that we did get the car in and taken apart. I explained briefly what was going to be done, that parts were already ordered and that the repairs should be done sometime mid-week the following week. I asked him to please call me with any questions. Mr. ****** did not call me at the remainder of the week.

On Monday June 11th the technician working on Mr.******'s car brought to my attention that the hood on the car needed to be replaced. My original estimate was to repair the hood, which the technician attempted, but there was a fit issue. I called Mr.****** and again left him a message to call me back to give him the option between a certified aftermarket hood or an LKQ (like, kind, quality) which is a used hood off of a 2006 Ford Taurus or newer. Mr. ****** called me back within an hour and was very upset that I did not catch the hood issue at the beginning of the repair. I explained to him that I did and that the technician and myself believed it was a repairable hood at the time. He then said he wanted an brand new hood from Ford. I explained that the insurance company did not owe him for a brand new hood and that there was an LKQ or an Aftermarket available. He then explained that he never authorized us to do any repairs on his vehicle that he wanted his brother to fix it and if we fix it he would take us to court. I explained to him that I had a written authorization signed by him on June 4th. He told me that he needed to make some calls and would get back to me. Mr ****** called me back that afternoon and said did not want repairs done on his car and had wanted to cash out with State Farm. I explained to him that we were already in the process of repairing car and that if he decided to stop repairs that we would need to collect for work already performed. He wanted to know what that amount would be and since I have never dealt with this type of situation, I told him I would have to call State Farm and figure that out. I told him I would get back to him once I had an answer. I called my State Farm re-inspector ************** around 5:00 pm and got no answer.

On Tuesday June 12th about 9am a rep. from State Farm (team # 3) called me and said that Mr. ****** did not want repairs done to his car and would be cashing out and bringing the car to his brother in law's house and having him fix it. I explained to the rep that repairs were already in process and asked who would be paying for the work that had already been done. He was unaware that work had already started and said he was going to call Mr. ****** back and explain that. I got another call shortly after that from Mr. ****** telling me not to fix his car any further. I then got a call back from State farm telling me to hold until I hear back from them. Around Noon a gentleman called the shop and asked for me specifically.The man told me that he was Mr. ******'s brother-in-law and that Mr.****** had called him because he was confused about what was going on. The Brother in law stated he was very familiar with the automotive business and wanted me to explain to him what was going on with the car.I started to read the estimate to him line by line and as soon as I said that we put the car on the frame rack to measure and pull a slight sway he started yelling at me. He told me that it was illegal to repair a frame on any car. He said that if we continue repairing this vehicle and if his nieces or any family was ever injured in an accident in this car that he would sue us and State Farm. I tried to explain to him that the car did not have any major frame damage, the front end was just swung over and he continued yelling at me and making threats to sue. The gentleman would not let me get a word in so after about 10 minutes of being yelled at and threatened I just hung up on him. He then called back and my co-worker answered. He said the same things to him as well. I immediately called State Farm and spoke to a rep on team #3. The rep stated that Mr. ****** was going to cash out on repairs and that State Farm would be paying us for work already performed and then settle with Mr.****** for the difference. I then called my district manager and explained the situation to him, as well as my State Farm re-inspector ****** whom I did not get a hold of.

On Wednesday June 13th AM I called ****** back and told him about the phone call on Tuesday. I told him at this time I do not feel comfortable doing anything further on Mr. ******'s car. I again spoke to my district manager and he approved to refuse any further repairs on Mr. ******'s car. Spoke with a State Farm rep and told him that we were now refusing to do any further work on this car. State Farm called Mr ****** and explained to him that he could cash out less the money that was owed to the shop for work already performed. Mr ****** then told State Farm that he wanted to proceed with repairs at the shop. State Farm called and told us owner would now like to proceed with repairs. I told him that we refuse to do any more work on Mr. ******'s car due to the threats and harassing phone calls, the rep said he would call Mr.****** and let him know.

On Thursday June 14th State Farm called and asked me to do a VIR (vehicle inspection report) to see if the vehicle was possibly a total loss. Mr. ****** had insisted that the car was valued at less than what the damage estimate was for. I did the VIR and sent it to State Farm. Mr ****** called to check on the status of his car and I explained to him that the car was sitting outside and that we would not be doing any further repairs. I told him that State Farm was going to pay us for work already performed and that he needed to have his car towed out. He became furious and wanted to know why we were not fixing his car. I reminded him about the threats that he and his brother-in- law had made. He told me he cannot control what his brother-in-law does or says and that he did not tell him to call here. I told him he needed to call State Farm and discuss things with them, but this shop would not be fixing his car any further. He continued to yell at me and tell me we better fix his car. So I hung up on him. He did call back and spoke briefly to my co-worker.

On Wednesday June 20th Mr. ****** and another gentleman came to the shop to pick-up the vehicle. The shop provided Mr. ****** with all of his old parts as well as the new ones that were being covered by State Farm. My co-worker advised him that he should have the car towed out versus trying to drive it. They drove the car off of the lot and left.

As to the consumer's desired resolution, we do not have a towing invoice from the customer or State Farm, so we are unable to reimburse the customer. I do not feel comfortable contacting Mr. ****** to discuss the resolution.

******************, Estimator
Heppner's Auto Body, ****************** Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
(651)*********

12/09/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Poor work on rust repair.
With estimate at $1600.00 for rust repair on my car doors, fourteen weeks later I have bubbling. I choose Heppners because a friend recommended them. ******** ****** told me at least three times he could only guaranty the work for six month. I called him, he said read your invoice , we don't cover rust.

I just want them to repair it!

This letter is in response to case # ******** regarding a customer at our 400 N. Syndicate St. location in St. Paul, MN.

The customer received an estimate from one of the estimators at our Midway location in June of 2013 for repairs to rust on his 2003 Mercedes. The quoted price was $1628.03 which would cover the repair and painting of various parts on the vehicle that had rust damage. The estimator explained to the customer at the time of the estimate that Heppner's Auto Body does not warranty rust repairs. He stated that although the rust had been painted, there was no guarantee that it wouldn't reappear in six months, a year, or longer. It's unpredictable, hence the policy of no warranty. The last line of the estimate clearly states "NO WARRANTY ON RUST". The customer acknowledged this fact and agreed to have Heppner's repair his vehicle from June 24-28, 2013. The customer paid for the repairs in full and the transaction was complete on July 1, 2013.

On November 4, 2013, the customer contacted the estimator who had handled the file and told him the repaired sections of his vehicle were "bubbling". The estimator again made it clear that Heppner's cannot warranty rust repairs because of the unpredictable nature of rust. The customer was told to refer to the estimate that he was given back in June and to look at the final line where it was clearly stated "NO WARRANTY ON RUST". The customer responded "F@#$ You!" and hung up. The estimator was not given a chance to discuss other options to further repairs on the vehicle.

If the customer would like to contact our General Manager, *** *****, at (***) ***-****, we would be happy to explain again why it is Heppner's policy to not warranty rust repairs. The option is also available to replace all the rusted parts, at the customer's expense. That can be discussed with *** as well.

***** ********
Vice President and CFO
Heppner's Auto Body

The estimator, with no doubt, verbally said that he could only give me a 6 month warranty! When I called him , that's when he said , I'll speak to my manager. He called back and said "when you picked up your car, at the bottom, where you signed, it said we do not cover rust." I was upset that he lied to me,and then hung up! He also gave a friend the same line when he went to him for a estimate .

This matter has been clearly explained and if the gentleman would like to discuss the rust repairs further, he may contact *** *****, General Manager at (***) ***-****.

***** ********
Vice President and CFO
Heppner's Auto Body

Auto Body Repair & Painting, Auto Repair - Windshield, Glass Shops, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Paintless Dent Repair