Purchasing a wedding gown and other bridal attire from a specialty retail store many times includes special ordering and prospective brides need to remember these things:
- Special orders can't be cancelled and deposits are often not refundable.
- Allow enough time. It is recommended that you order your wedding dress 6 months before your wedding date. Because the retailer does not have control of the shipping date, allow ample time for delivery.
- Wedding dresses aren't sized like other clothes. Ask the retailer to explain the manufacturer's sizing charts. Many times it is easier to alter a larger size.
- When making fitting appointments, allow time for alteration or any reordering if necessary.
- Be aware of additional costs, such as alterations and pressing.
- Ask about any other special considerations unique to the bridal dress with the retailer.
- It is the responsibility of the consumer to understand all the terms of the contract before signing it.