Supporting the Victims of the Fort Hood Tragedy
Many Americans will want to do what they can monetarily and otherwise to support the victims of the Fort Hood shooting. Unfortunately, such tragedies also bring out scam artists hoping to take advantage of them.
- Phony appeals pop up after every natural disaster or other tragedy.
- After Hurricane Katrina, the FBI identified thousands of websites soliciting donations, including many that were operated from overseas. Many were scams.
- We see the same thing after tornadoes, fires, and tragedies like Fort Hood.
- Be cautious of appeals that are long on emotion, but short on describing what the charity will do.
- If you contribute, do not give cash. Make a check or money order out to the name of the charitable organization, not to the individual collecting the donation.
- Watch out for excessive pressure for on-the-spot donations or requests to send a “runner” to pick up your donation.
- Be wary of charities that are reluctant to answer reasonable questions about their operations, finances and programs. Ask how much of your gift will be used for the activity mentioned in the appeal and how much will go toward other programs and administrative and fundraising costs.
- Check out the charity with the BBB Wise Giving Alliance at www.bbb.org
- Officials at Fort Hood have announced the following opportunities for the public to donate to various agencies on the installation honoring the Soldiers and family members affected by the mass shooting on post last week:
Fort Hood Chaplain’s Fund
Checks can be mailed to:
Chaplain's Fund Office
Bldg 44, 761st Tank Battalion Avenue
Fort Hood, TX 76544-5000
Checks should be made payable to "CTOF" (Chapel's Tithes and Offerings Fund) with a note on the memo line stating "Nov. 5 Tragedy."
Fort Hood Fisher House
Ft Hood Texas 76544
Call (254) 286-7927 or (254)286-7929 for more information.
Local Chapter - American Red Cross
Killeen Red Cross
208 W. Ave. A,
Killeen, Texas 76541
Phone (254) 200-4400 or visit their website: www.waco.redcross.org here.
USO Fort Hood
USO Fort Hood
Building # 1871, 50th St.
Fort Hood, Texas, 76544
Phone: (254) 768-2771 or visit their website at www.uso.org