BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/2009

AutoMax of Memphis

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

09/03/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I bought a used car with the understanding their mechanic had inspected the car. The poor condition of the engine was not explained to me.
On Friday, the 18th of July 2014, I decided to buy a used 2006 **************** from Automax of Memphis. The car had a "Mechanic inspected" sticker in the window of the car. The car had some obvious damage to the front bumper, and I asked the salesman, ****, to tighten the bumper before I drove off with the car. At the time of test driving, there were no warning lights on in the car. The next day, Saturday the 19th of July 2014, I received a call from **** saying the car was ready. I returned to Automax of Memphis and inspected the car again. After some discussion with ****, he showed me a list of things their mechanic had inspected. Included on the list was the engine. I signed the paperwork, initialing on the page stating the inspection covered various fluids and the engine, and then settled up with **** to take the car. I got into the car that day, saw no warning lights, and drove the car home. The next day, Sunday July 20th 2014, I took the car to get an oil change. As I pulled into the shop for the oil change there was still no warning light indicating any problems. I told the shop to change the oil and I would return later. When I returned to the shop I was told the oil had been changed but a "check engine" light had come on. I was told the code indicated that cylinder 2 was misfiring and they couldn't do anything to fix it there. The next day, Monday July 21st 2014, I took the car to a ********* dealership. After their inspections, they told me the cylinder did not simply need new spark plugs, but the problem was with pressure in the cylinder. The cost of repairs and parts was to be $3500. When I called Automax and spoke with **** he told me the Automax mechanic could inspect the vehicle and could do repairs more cheaply.
My complaint is that the mechanic should have inspected the engine and found this pressure problem. Since the oil had been masking the problem, someone previous to myself knew of the problem and how to hide it. The mechanic should have found the problem and addressed it or made it known so I would have known when buying the car. The dealership should have been more willing to assist me with the costs since their mechanic failed either to find the problem or fix it.

I want a refund for what I've had to pay in repairs considering their mechanic failed to find or address the engine problem and they told us their mechanic had inspected the car.

As mentioned above, the salesman talked with the customer and advised him to bring the vehicle in to be checked out at a reputable certified mechanic be at no charge to the customer. The salesman understood that the customer would be bringing the car in, however the customer never showed up, so it was assumed the issue had been resolved. We are still willing to have a mechanic check out the vehicle at no cost to our customer.

They made no promise to make any repairs or fix anything on the vehicle free of charge. They only asked that I take the vehicle to them because their repairs would be "cheaper." They asked me to take the vehicle to them for their "mechanic" to inspect it. Since their mechanic is the one that failed to find the problem, another party needed to be brought in to investigate the situation and offer another opinion. ***** ****** ********* was very helpful in finding exactly what was wrong with the car.

We have several different mechanics, and would have taken the vehicle to another shop for a second opinion before getting any work done. The vehicle would not have gone back to the same mechanic that made the original error. However, we have sent the customer a reimbursement check for $850, which is what the repairs would have cost us at our mechanic.

01/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Signed a contract to buy a truck. Went back next morning to pay agreed amount. Had the check written out.They said computer miscalculated taxes wanted to charge more. Since we had a signed contract I feel I could have made them stick to the agreement. I did not want to business with people that back out on a signed deal. THANKS ****** ***** Ervins Pest Control

Let them know I sent in a complaint.

When *** ***** came to our dealership our system was down. We advised that we would use alternative software to print out a Purchase Order for the vehicle he would be taking delivery of the next morning.

*** ***** was advised the next morning before he paid for and took delivery of the vehicle that the tax amount was miscalculated.

We apologize for the mistake on our behalf and regret that *** ***** decided against buying the vehicle.

12/19/2013Problems with Product / Service