In West Tennessee, North Mississippi & East Arkansas

BBB Accredited Business since 11/01/2012

Lowry Roofing, Inc.

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

04/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: ****** *****, of Lowry Roofing Company, cashed a three party check without my mortgage company's signature. Unskilled work done. Unprofessional.
Travelers insurance sent check for roofing work. To be signed by myself, Lowry Roofing, and myself. The check was cashed without ** Bank signature. Check was never sent to ** Bank, as requested by myself, and ** Bank. Roofing work has never been completed to satisfaction, or as a professional job. My insurance company, ********* Insurance, has been contacted, and I am going to pursue this legally. ****** ***** had unskilled laborers working on my roof. I would like to be reimbursed, so that I can have skilled professional redo the job.

In response to Mrs. *****, I don't know what else we can do to make this customer satisfied. The residence in question is about 60 years old and there has been zero homeowner maintenance done to the property since the house was constructed.

We completed the roof almost 13 moths ago. We have gone back to inspect the roof on multiple occasions. Mrs. ***** has about $5000-$6,000 worth of woodwork to have done to the property, which is outside the scope in which we are responsible for.

We went back a couple of months ago to look at the skylight she had and discovered that is was 20 years or so old, with decking that was rotted and the supporting wood that goes with the skylight. We took the skylight out and covered it with new decking, filling it in with plywood and shingles, which fixed her issue. We did all of that for no charge, which cost the company $1500 in material and labor and thought that we were doing her a favor, which this good deed has gone punished.

Then, we got a call last week with her worried about her chimney. The chimney is a stucco chimney and has step flashing an internal flashing system, so that is not an issue. Secondly, I was on the roof last week, I discovered about 100 sq./ft., of rotted siding in the far corner of the house, which is a maintenance issue, i.e. the homeowner's responsibility, not the roofer's.

I admit that there are faults on our side with the recent communication due to my personal life, but being that she told us on the front end when we signed the contract that she didn't have any extra money to spend on any of the wood issues, we went on with the job, leaving that to her to decide what to do.

99% of our homeowner's take responsibility for their homes without casting blame to us ask for a price on what needs to be fixed and we fix the issue successfully, because we are great at what we do and play their part by being responsible homeowners that will pay you for the repairs and work that is completed for them.

This customer has taken advantage of our kindness with all that we have done for her and when we had to tell her "no", she went to the BBB and Angie's List to complain about us being unprofessional. I don't know what her motives are, but we put on thousands of roofs in ******* and this is our second issue that has come up.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Ms. **********
Attached you will find photos of Lowry Roofing's work. This job is considered finished by Mr. *****. These are current photos, taken today by myself. The chimney is not covered all the way around by flashing, as I requested. **** flashing was done without my consent, and without my knowledge. ***** Roofing was paid by my insurance company March 2012, for the replacement of the roof, and for flashing around my chimney. Mr. ***** stated in response to my complaint, that there is internal flashing. That is simply not true, and prior to me contacting him November 2013, there was no flashing at all. *****, the interior leak again (photos included). Which is why I contacted his company in the first place. The ceiling was leaking in the same area, and is now water damaged again, due to Mr. *****'s negligence. The water came through the ceiling down the wall. So, I find myself right where I started, and with nothing to show for it. The chimney is not fixed, and looks terrible. As well as the interior ceiling, that was once white, when it was repaired. Also included are photos of my porch, which was not leaking before the roofing job, however, leaked afterward. Mr. ***** stated that the problem was not a roofing issue. I had to pay out of pocket for it to be fixed. My insurance company paid him over $7000. You would think that his company would want to do a good job, but it was just a rip off.

As for rotten wood, there was never a discussion about rotten wood prior to the so called, completion, of the roofing job. I never made any, so called, comment about not having extra money to pay for replacement of wood. That is simply made up.

That you for your time, and consideration.

******* *****

Treat my heart as you would your own.

Mrs. ***,
This is what we got from the home owner, so I don't know how to proceed. I am willing to go through arbitration, because we have done everything we can to make this customer happy. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks, ******

****** *****
Lowry Roofing Inc.
************ (c)
************ (f)
WWW.*****-ROOFING.COM

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

10/04/2013Problems with Product / Service