BBB Accredited Business since 05/01/1998

Cook's Pest Control, Inc. - Jackson

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

08/20/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Cook's Pest Control failed to protect my house from termites.
On 5-15-15 at my 2nd house which is up for sale(*****************************), my real estate agent informed me that I might have termites which could impede the sale of the house. I called Cook's, my own pest company for over 20 years to inspect the house. I also had a second pest company to inspect also. Cook's inspector called me & reported no termite issues at all. The second pest company informed me that there was indeed a termite problem. I called for a 3rd inspection and this company also confirmed termite issues. I did 'not' have a contract with Cook's Pest Control at this house. But, since my house is under contract with Cook's I became worried about my own house. I had my house inspected by another company who found termites mud tunnels & signs of termite activity. This company even took pictures & videos. On 5-19-15 Cook's sent the termite manager (Dane B****) to inspect my house. He did confirm mud tunnels, but no live termites. I requested a nonbiased inspection, so I called the TN Dept of Agriculture. The state inspector also found at least 10 mud tunnels, but was unable to see any termites. I have the original termite contract with most of the quarterly & yearly inspection sheets from Cook's. On the inspection sheets there is no indication that any mud tunnels or termites were found. My argument is that Cook's is not actually going under the house & checking carefully for signs of termites. Since I am not confident Cook's is doing their job, I complied a letter & faxed it to them on 6-15-15 listing what I think would be an agreeable solution to resolve this breach of trust in their termite service. I did not receive a response from this fax nor have I even heard from Cook's since 5-19-15.

If Cook's had shown better customer service by offering to resolve my grievances, I would not have to go to such extremes as to file a complaint with BBB. Cook's has shown no remorse for the signs of termites at my house. There has been no contact by upper management. And the one person at Cook's I felt had confidence in has totally cut communication. I now want to break contract with Cook's. I want Cook's to pay restitution of $800 for worry, anguish & general disgust impacted upon myself. This conflict has cost me money and time that could have been totally avoided IF Cook's had done their job. I have contracted with them for over 20 years & trusted they were protecting my house from termites. Obviously, they have not. The TN Dept of Agriculture Inspector confirms they have not done their job!

Cook's Pest Control, Inc. has promptly responded to Ms. ******* on every instance saving her fax on June 15th. The purpose for not responding after her June 15th fax was due to following the TN Department of Agriculture's (TDA) recommendation. Ms. ******* contacted the TDA to gather an unbiased opinion of our service. TDA Inspector Will Spence inspected Ms. ******* home and then interviewed the staff of Cook's Pest Control. TDA Structural Pest Control Supervisor Jerry S ****** also advised on the interview. Mr. S****** decided that no violations of any TDA regulations had occurred. Will Spence has actually confirmed that Cook's Pest Control has indeed honored the agreement in place. The TDA representatives requested Cook's to hold off on contacting Ms. ******* until after they were able to speak with her themselves. We simply honored the request of Inspector Will Spence. Whether he has contacted Ms. ******* or not since then is unknown.

As for the complaint itself, Ms. ******* has had no live active termites present during the inspections of either Dane B****, Cook's Termite Service Manager, or Will Spence with the TDA. Nor was evidence of structural damage described in either inspection. TDA regulations require an inspection to determine only whether there is a presence or absence of termites. Mud tubes and other signs of previous termite activities are not required to be included. Given there was no termites present by the Cook's inspection and the unbiased TDA inspection, Cook's Pest Control feels that Ms. ******* is more than adequately compensated for her time and expense. The crux of the complaint was that we have not protected her home from termites, but the evidence supports that we have.

I do not accept the response submitted by Cook's Pest Control of Jackson, TN because the issue has never been resolved to my satisfaction. The State Inspector's job was not to 'please' me. His job was to be the 3rd party nonbiased inspector to confirm whether or not there was evidence of termites under my house. Which he did confirm that there is evidence of termites. Cook's job was to correct the problem and make me feel confident that the issue would be resolved to my satisfaction. As of 5-19-15, I never received a call from Cook's offering any apology or recommendation of what should be done. Cook's stated that the State inspector advised them not to contact me until his investigation was completed. This is NOT true. The State Inspector told me himself that he NEVER said to not contact me. Again, pleasing me was not his job. Pleasing me was Cook's job. I finally received a call from the manager of Cook's in Jackson. He was rude, condescending and arrogant. The manager even alluded to fact that all I wanted was money. At the end of the phone conservation, I suggested he read my fax sent 6-5-15 suggesting what Cook's could do to gain my trust again. In the fax there is no mention of 'money'. He was suppose to call me back Friday 7-10-15, but never called. I will cancel my contract with Cook's.

11/04/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

was told we could canx contract if not completely satisfied. Tried to canx contract only to find a fee attached, was led to believe there was none.
signed contract under the premise that we would be completely satisfied and were even told we'd see no pests after initial treatment. We were not completely satisfied to say the least. I have been repeatedly bitten by an insect in my house that they have been unable to eradicate. They have been out on 3 separate occasions trying to kill the pest, but I keep getting bitten. So, we decided to cancel the contract. Only to find out the contract has an early termination fee attached. The contract does have a money back guarantee for 3 days, however their adds on radio and 2 of the representatives say there's a money back guarantee if not satisfied. This is very misleading. On top of that, the manager of the Cooks branch in question told me that he thought it was a "dermatological" problem because I work at a hospital. Now the manager of an exterminating company is telling me about my business-one that I have been working in for 12 years...and without any "dermatological" problems whatsoever! I am not satisfied with Cook's Pest Control's business practices or F.O.S managers! I will not recommend this business to anyone in the future!

cancellation of my contract

Cook's prides itself on our handling of customer complaints. We do in fact have a 110% Satisfaction Guarantee. The following is the wording of the guarantee as it is written on the signed agreement:

"110% Satisfaction Guarantee- If you are not completely satisfied with the results of our monthly service, report your dissatisfaction to the local Cook's manager. We will respond within 24 hours with a solution to your pest problem. If you are not completely satisfied within one week, your next monthly service is free, plus we will issue a credit for 10% off the following month's service."

In September, I discussed with Mrs. ******* their concerns and their dissatisfaction. At that point I scheduled with Mrs. ******* a time to come and inspect the property so that a solution could be proposed in accordance with our guarantee. We agree to a date and time for me to personally inspect. A short time later, Mr. ******* called and cancelled the inspection and stated that he wanted to cancel all services and receive all his money back. During the course of the conversation, I directed Mr. ******* to the signed paperwork. I read to him the guarantee and the proper procedures needed for me to fulfill it. Mr. ******* declined my attempts to satisfy the guarantee and again requested a refund. I again attempted to set an appointment for me to personally inspect his property to ensure that his concerns were related to our service or would be covered under our agreement. Mr. ******* refused my visit and asked me to tell him on the phone call what other possible causes there could be to his ailment or than that of a pest. Lacking any prior or particular knowledge to his concern, I listed the common causes for the problem as he described it in the call. These causes could possibly include a known pest infestation, allergic reaction to common household items, a dermatological condition, and even delusional parasitosis. But I did insist that I would not be able to pinpoint any as a cause other than a known pest infestation because that is my area of expertise. Additionally, I would not be able to conclude it was a known pest infestation without a proper, thorough inspection. Mr. ******* once again refused to allow me to visit.

Since the date of this BBB complaint, Sept. 26th, I have been able to visit the property and perform the needed inspection. I inspected the crawlspace, interior of the home, and the entire lawn. During an interview with Mrs. *******, I became aware of wildlife that are not common to their type of neighborhood. Mrs. ******* informed me that there was a warren of rabbits that lived on an adjacent property, but had visited their yard. From this information I did identify one possible cause of Mr. *******'s ailment, "chiggers" or larval harvest mites of the Trombiculidae family. Rabbits are known to support chigger populations. Cook's does not provide service for the control of wildlife, nor are chiggers one of the pest covered under our agreements due to this. Although there are some indications that chiggers are not the cause, I did perform a treatment to the lawn areas to see if it improved the situation. I also collected a glue board with a few unknown insects/arthropods. Once I have identified the arthropods, I will be able to determine if they are a possibly cause. I agreed to follow up with Mrs. ******* in the coming week.

The satisfaction of the ******* family on this issue is Cook's primary concern. I hope to find a reasonable solution to their dissatisfaction. If it can be determined that a pest is the cause of the concerns, Cook's will gladly treat for them up to our full capabilities as governed by the TN Department of Agriculture. Also, if it is determined that the cause is a pest, Cook's will appropriately satisfy the 110% Satisfaction Guarantee by providing a free month's service plus an additional 10% off the following month.