BBB Accredited Business since 06/01/2010

Morris General Construction, Inc.

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

10/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Incomplete service on a remodel shower. Shower doors do not close properly. I was left with an unusable shower.
No 5/29/14, I established a sales agreement with Morris General Construction & Remodeling Constructors to remodel my master bath shower for the amount of $3804.00. The formed shower mold was to be removed and replace with tiled walls and a glass shower door. After several incidents of shabby performances of labor; sheet roof put up without tape and tile placed on top, tile place side by side without room for grout, rough edges of grout left exposed, concrete poured onto my decorative rocks in front yard, and a plumber from another company wanting payment for services requested by *** ********* for $97.50. On Friday, 6/20/14, I was forced to pay the balance of the bill although the door had just been quickly place, the sill on the of the shower and the door stopper was not in place with silicone. The worker use chalk to hold the stopper in place and the directions call for silicone. I was told to wait 24 hours before using. Needless to say the chalk did not hold the metal to metal door sill and stopper together.
I have been calling Mr. ********* since Monday, 6/24/14 to come and complete my shower so that it may be used.
I was also requested to pay an addition 200.00 plus to cover the cost of the shower doors. *** told me that he only allotted $250 for a shower door and I should pay the added cost. I was sent a text and a message requesting additional monies.
I felt highly pressured to take on additional cost although, he used the cheapest products available, and unskilled labor.

I want my door fixed so that it operates properly.

07/09/2014
We tried several times to contact Ms ****** by phone without result, It is believed that she has her grand children for Summer break and must have been out with them.
Please be advised that we made the adjustments yesterday. She told our workmen that she appreciated it and was satisfied.
Thank you, Morris General Construction

This response is completely false. Until this business received notice from the BBB, my calls went unanswered, was told that workers would return on several occasions, waited at home on Wednesday and Thursday, 2nd and 3th of July.
On Monday, I received a call from *** with a estimated time of 3-4 pm for the workers to return. The couple did return during the scheduled time. Unfortunately they looked and claimed to be sick. They wore face mask and both had difficulty breathing.****** had been to the dr and was waiting on a prescription to be call in, ***** said he had pneumonia.
My stopper on my shower doors was replaced, but it was put on backward to make it work. So now instead of the doors lining up in a straight line, in the enter where the doors met, they ***** out to rest on the stopper. Initially, after the workers left on the 20th of June, I had not used the shower. I turned it on prior to their return on Monday. There was a leak from the shower spout that was repair. The told the workers that the stopper was backward, and I would try it once it dry to see if the doors would work. I did tell them that I was happy that they finally showed up and I would be able to use the shower.
As of today, I have used the shower. The shower spout does not leak, but the water from the shower has little pressure, it is more of a drizzle and the not the shower pressure as before, prior to 29 May, 2014.
Although I was happy that they did finally show up on Monday, I am not satisfied yet. I hope that *** will no try to pass this off as a plumbing problem and that I need to call the plumbing company that moved the pipes.

*****,
I sent a text to Ms. ****** earlier this week and told her that the plumbing company was trying to get in contact with her to come out and fix her shower head. I also included their phone number and told her that they had tried several times to reach her. They are wanting to get this done for her. That same evening the plumber told me the next day that he got no answer from her and that they were going to try and maybe catch her on Saturday, yesterday. Will let you know what is going on as soon as I speak to them on Monday.

*** *********, President
MORRIS GENERAL CONSTRUCTION, INC.
2884 Kenneth Street
Memphis, TN 38128-5910
Cell - (901) 644-7400
Fax - (901) 552-4972

12/16/2014Problems with Product / Service
05/30/2013Problems with Product / Service
01/08/2013Billing / Collection Issues
07/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

April 19,2014 ****** General Construction started on my kitchen remodel.Each step the contractor *** and ******* took I snapped a picture. I was very excited I would get the kitchen of my dreams.Up front I paid Mr *** ************ asked Mr *** if could design a round kitchen bar with cabinets inside. He stated yes for 3200.00usd. I paid him 3200.00 cash upfront. I showed him a picture of the round breakfast bar. I noticed the contractor/help was cutting the wood on my existing cabinet and used my mop bucket to trace the circle. It looked like my grand babies created the circles-which wasn't a circle. I expressed my concerns with Mr *** that the round design wasn't coming out the way I wanted it-like in the picture I gave him. Since the round design was not round I asked Mr *** to go back to the original design.Mr *** dispatch Electricians out to put up 2 light fixtures and we paid them 176.00usd out of pocket and never received a receipt. I advised Mr *** we could have used our own peopleThe plumbers came out 3x to install the plumbing but the contractor Mr *** never installed the sink . Mr *** stated the plumbers can do .... the plumbers were saying the contractor is supposed to have that completed. I felt I was placed in the middle of an issue that Mr *** should have taken care of.I told Mr *** that my daughter and I will do the back splash and when I came in the kitchen he was doing it. I told him again my daughter and I was going to do the back splash and Mr *** stated it will be free. Mr ***'s work was very unprofessional. I asked Mr *** to put concrete board down to protect the wood when he installs the tile on the counter and he said, the glue will protect it. I am afraid the tile counter will start popping from water log.Mr *** broke my chair rail and stated I would have to pay 300usd for a new one.A made up chair rail was installed and I was told what difference does it make if its not the original one.Morris Construction Promise 2 things Integrity & No Nonsense??
Product_Or_Service: kitchen remodel

No balanced paid. I have a balance of 1440.00 usd per the contract. No balance to pay.

Contact Name and Title:**** *********, Pres.
Contact Phone:*************
Contact Email:***********@morrisgeneral.com
Regarding the round new kitchen. I explained to her after seeing the picture that was given to me from her internet search that her kitchen was much smaller than the one in the picture. But, we could give her a radius effect that would resemble what she wanted and she agreed. We built this in her kitchen and it took over a week of work. When we finished she decided that she did not want this and wanted to go with a straight bar instead. As far as the electrician is concerned, she purchased new light fixtures and wanted them installed which was outside of our contract. Plumbing issue; It is standard and customary for the plumbing company to install sink as part of the plumbing contract as it was in our case. But, as their plumbers did not know how to set the sink and attach it to the counter top we did it for them and we got credit from their bill. Tile installation is done correctly. Chair rail; we closed in an open area in which we had to continue running the chair rail to the end of the wall. We purchased at two different times chair railings. Neither one was an exact match as her trim was not available. Our foreman told her that if she wanted us to have the trim custom made it would take 3-6 wks at an additional cost of $300.00. As we contracted to match as close as possible as available by local distributors. She refused. Currently, she has a balance of $5,399.29 and this complaint is her way of trying to get out of paying. Please note; attached is a satisfactory completion statement signed by her.

I advised Mr**** immediately that I was not happy with the round breakfast design and he said its okay wait until he finishes it. After he finished it I still didn't like because it was not near the design on the picture. I asked Mr**** was the contractor was he a professional because his work was not. The plumbing issue was between Mr**** , Mr *** and the plumber. I was pushed in the middle when the plumbers came because Mr *** was never there when the plumbers came.
The tile was not installed correctly. I have pictures to show and other contractors and friends have been appalled by the workmanship. Its totally embarrassing. Its a hazard to not only my family but my guest. Our clothes are snagged and Im afraid my grandchildren will get hurt .
I was told , what difference does it make , that I don't have the original chair rail up although Mr *** broke one of the original chair rails. Mr**** knew he was closing in an open area so the chair rail price should have been included in the original contract. There was plenty of time to get the original chair rail so it can match the remaining dinning room chair rails. The work was completed on May 30,2014 passed the completion date of May 26,2014 . The tile looks like a first timer installed it. Some days there was a no show from the crew Mr**** hired.. we had to call to see if they were coming in to work. Contractor stated they had to finish another job first. I was willing to pay the remaining balance of 1440.00 of the original contract my husband ****** signed but Mr**** stated, "oh no I have to make a profit". Incomplete and poor workmanship on what he supposedly did.
Now I will have to pay for another company to repair what Mr**** and his crew did. I am so sick over this. All I wanted was my dream kitchen.

Julie,
I am responding to your letter dated, July 4, 2014. I met with Ms.******* about the design she wanted in the beginning. I explained to her that we could built a radius bar similar to the one in the picture which she showed me that she got from the internet. But, I told her that the dimensions that we had to work with in her kitchen would be different than that which was in the picture. Her kitchen was much smaller and the exact radius bar would not fit. She asked me if I could still make if look like the picture. I told her that we could build the bar with a radius. But, that it would not be at the same angles that was in her picture. We did build the radius bar as close as possible to what was in the picture. Then, after we completed it she asked my workmen to just make it straight since it did not look exactly like what she had pictured in her mind and from the internet picture. So, they tore it down and rebuilt it. She seem to be happy with everything after they rebuilt it. To verify this please find attached a COMPLETION CERTIFICATE stating that all items she had pointed out to be adjusted were finished and she was happy as of June 28, 2014. But, when she received our final invoice in the amount of $5,399.29 that's when she started her complaint to the BBB. It seems very obvious to me that this is simply a means to avoid payment.
I have also attached a copy of our Statement showing payments made and the balance due.
If I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter please let me know.
Best Regards,

*** *********, President
MORRIS GENERAL CONSTRUCTION, INC.
*******************