BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/2014

Chem-Dry of Germantown

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

12/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

SERVICE ACCORDING TO INVOICE WAS NOT COMPLETED.
CARPETS WERE NOT CLEAN AFTER THE TECHNICIAN COMPLETED.
ON OCTOBER 28,2014, ****** FROM CHEM-DRY OF GERMANTOWN ARRIVED TO CLEAN MY CARPETS. I HAVE HAD MY CARPETS CLEANED FOR MANY YEARS BY THIS COMPANY WITH NO PROBLEMS. ****** HAD NEVER CLEANED MY CARPETS ON ANY PREVIOUS TIMES. I DID NOT CHECK THE CARPETS BEFORE I SIGNED THE STATEMENT ALTHOUGH I DID MENTION A PROBLEM WITH THE DEN CARPET. ****** SAID THAT THE PROBLEM WAS DUE TO THE CARPET BEING WET AND WOULD LOOK BETTER WHEN DRY. I CALLED************* TO REPORT THIS ISSUE SHORTLY AFTER ****** LEFT. ALL THE CARPETS WERE DIRTY EXCEPT FOR THE STEPS.
THE AGREEMENT STATED THAT "VACUUM WITH PROFESSIONAL GRADE VACUUM" "CLEAN EXPOSED CARPET USING HOT CARBONATING EXTRACTION FOR DEEP CLEANING" "REMOVE MOST SPOTS" "BRUSH CARPET FOR PILE GROOMING". I DID'T RECEIVE THE VACUUM, DEEP CLEANING OR THE PILE GROOMING.
WHEN I CALLED THE COMPANY I ASKED ****** TO RETURN AND COMPLETE THE JOB. I WAS TOLD THE NEXT DAY THAT HE WAS UNABLE TO COME BACK. CHEM-DRY SAID THEY WOULD RETURN AND CLEAN THE CARPETS AGAIN. I WAS GOING OUT OF TOWN SO THIS WAS NOT POSSIBLE.
I ASKED FOR A PARTIAL REFUND FOR THE SERVICES THAT WERE NOT PERFORMED AND FOR THE POOR JOB OF THE SERVICES THAT WERE PERFORMED. I HAVE CALLED SEVERAL TIMES SINCE THE CARPET CLEANING AND NOBODY HAS RESPONDED TO MY REQUEST.

I AM SEEKING A PARTIAL REFUND OF $150.00 SINCE SERVICES WERE NOT COMPLETED AND THE CLEANING JOB WAS VERY POOR.

We regret that there appears to me some misunderstandings with the work that was done. Our policy is to return to address any areas of concern for services purchased as we have already tried to do for Ms. *****.

Ms. ***** did call with a concern on the day of the service where there was one spot in the baby's room that she was not satisfied with. We offered to return the next day but she stated that she was going out of town. We asked that she contact us when she returned but have not heard from her prior to seeing this complaint. It is possible that her calls were made to another Chem-Dry franchise as we are all independently owned and operated which would possibly explain why they were not returned?

Since this complaint was posted we have tried multiple times each day to contact her to arrange a time when we could return to address any concerns which is our policy but our calls have not been answered or returned after we leave voice mail messages. We will continue daily to try to reach her and will continue to leave voice mail messages on her answering machine.

Ms. ***** is correct in that we do vacuum prior to cleaning and groom the carpets when completed on all jobs. This was done on her carpet but I am told that she was tending to her grandson in the kitchen and would not have seen this done in other rooms. We normally do a final walk thru during which any concerns could have been addressed.

Our offer to return to re-clean any areas of concern remains open but we need to reach her to make arrangements.

08/29/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

The website states 3 times that if they cannot get you satisfied then it is FREE. When contacted, they just made excuses and lied and didn't honor ad.
On their website they offer a free home evaluation, 3 times they highlight their FREE if we can t get you satisfied guarantee, and they advertise free pickup and delivery for rug cleaning.

I originally called this company because I wanted to take my rug to their shop to have it cleaned. When I learned that they don t have a shop like that (they come do free home evaluations), then I had this company come to my home to see about having my rug cleaned. I was told that I would need the deep cleaning , which meant that it could not be done in my home but needed to be taken to their shop (this was 2x the price of the basic in-home cleaning). Besides a juice stain, the technician acted as if they could clean up the rug. I signed their waiver saying that I would not hold them liable for damage to the rug- no existing conditions were listed on the form.

The rug came back, not looking ANY better than when it left. The technician was aware of my dissatisfaction and extremely rude about it. They dropped the price to $99 and left with a who cares attitude . AFTER me calling them about their guarantee they did honor the part about coming back and trying to re-clean the rug. I am not sure why this would not have been offered when the rug was first dropped off and they were aware of the problem. The 2nd pickup was done with the worst attitude by the technician, my husband had to come to my defense because of the way I was being treated. It was dropped back off again not looking much better.

The company denies that they have a satisfaction guarantee, even though it is advertised on their website 3 times. They claim that they satisfied their promise by coming back to try to clean it. They also said that they didn t charge me their normal $40 pickup/delivery fee, even though they advertise free pickup and delivery on their website. At my free evaluation (as I discussed on the phone before they sent the technician), I wanted to know if the rug would clean up well or else I didn t want to have it cleaned. I was told the technician would be able to tell me and when he came I was told it would (except maybe not the juice stain). After the first and the second cleaning s dissatisfaction, I offered to send pictures to the owners. They obviously have no interest in personally looking into the issue, because they did not care to see them and have done nothing but make excuses saying that my rug is damaged and that is why they cannot make it look better. Why didn t the tech tell me that at the evaluation then. THE OWNERS HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN THE RUG!

This company s advertising is a LIE. This company advertises a 2fold guarantee. They advertise that they will return to correct the problem, but they also advertise free if we can t get you satisfied . If they want to change their advertising- that is fine, but as long as they advertise this guarantee then they should be prepared to honor it. Their attitude towards their customer and their lies are unacceptable.

To honor their money back guarantee.

March 2013 paid by American Express. I dealt with the owners
***** & ****** **** with my complaint. I will be happy to forward all email correspondence.
The service was supposed to be$129 and they dropped the price to $99, saying that is all they were willing to do.

We are sorry that we were not able to satisfy *** ******** despite our best efforts and we will refund her money.

We pride ourselves in being an honest family owned business with thousands of satisfied clients in Middle and West Tennessee and Northern Mississippi who trust us and come back to us for repeat business. In fact, 75% of our business is with repeat clients. This along with our A+ rating with the BBB is a testament to our commitment to client satisfaction.

As *** ******** acknowledged we did return and re-cleaned her rug which is what our guarantee states on our website. The allegation that we our advertising is false is just not correct.
When we re-cleaned the rug we applied many specialty products which *** ******** did not purchase nor did we charge her for in an attempt to save a rug that was damaged when we picked it up.

The rug in question was given to *** ******** used and had permanent staining and severe wear from the prior owners. The possibility of permanent staining that could not be removed was explained by the technician when he inspected the rug initially and is stated on the invoice which she acknowledges that she read and signed.

Permanent staining occurs when the fibers of the rug have been dyed by spills and this just cannot be reversed with any amount of cleaning. This is different from soiling which can be and was removed. We do have a wide range of specialty stain removal products that other cleaners do not have in their tool kit. If anyone can get a stain out, we can.

Unfortunately *** ******** expected our cleaning to restore the rug to a new appearance which was not possible in this case as the rug was worn and permanently stained when we received it. This was explained to her by the technician when the rug was picked up but she choose to proceed. A copy of the "AUTHORIZATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS" which *** ******** signed has been submitted to the BBB as proof.

In an effort to resolve this we did reduce the cost to our minimum.

The complaint that was filed contains personal attacks on my wife and I and our technician which are not warranted and frankly we are shocked and offended considering the extensive efforts that we made with our costs exceeding what was paid in an effort to do the absolute best job possible for *** ********.

As noted, we will refund the full amount of her payment and we wish her well.

While I do appreciate that the company has now begrudgingly honored their money back guarantee, their response is not entirely accurate. Nothing was explained to me by the technician about permanent staining other than that the juice stain may not come out. The other spots in question are not pet stains, so yes, I did not need the PURT treatment which is the only thing I was advised I did not need and I willingly declined.
Also, only the bottom of the invoice was submitted to the BBB, the top part would show the area for pre-existing conditions/damage to be listed and there is nothing listed by the technician. I did not have unrealistic expectations, as my expectations were talked about from the very first phone conversation where I was told that the technician would be able to tell me if the rug could be cleaned and spots removed.

It was stated that I was given the rug which is inaccurate. We discussed that I purchased the rug from an upscale resale site; the sellers happened to be friends. It was not a give away, it was only sold because the previous owners were carpeting the bedroom. The reason I discussed at length not wanting to put MORE money in the rug if the spots in question would not come out, was because I already had money in purchasing the rug. If I had been told that they would try and they did not have a guarantee then this would have been a different situation.

I received an email from the owners requesting that I do future business elsewhere and commenting on my character for contacting the BBB and for personally attacking them. I never meant to personally attack the owners or the technician. My character has nothing to do with their advertising, which repeatedly states that their services are FREE if the customer is not satisfied. Also, advertising FREE pickup and delivery and emailing me that they waived their $40 pickup and delivery fee. I do not wish to attack these people, only hold them accountable for their advertising. Although I disagree with their response, they have refunded the money.

Thank you!

We regret that *** ******** feels as she does but we remain confident that we made no misrepresentations and have refunded her full amount of her payment.

As to the other allegations we can only say that we have thousands of satisfied clients and if we conducted our business as alleged we would not be in business much less have an A+ rating with the BBB. The majority of our business is from referrals and repeat clients who trust and appreciate the quality and honesty of our work.

The bottom line is that we have refunded her full amount and wish her well but do not wish to do business with her again due to the false and degrading nature of her baseless allegations.

We are an honest company and are offended by claims to the contrary.