BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/2011

Ballew Bridal & Formal Salon

BBB began including complaint response text in BBB Business Reviews on July 31, 2013.

BBB reports the complaint response text for all reportable complaints against a business that are received electronically.

09/03/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Dissatisfied with product and customer service.
I recently purchased a wedding dress from Ballew Bridal. I was told a dress that I tried on in the store was ivory and shown a sample in white and told I could order the dress in that color. However, the dress that came in was the same color as the one I tried on. The sales clerk made a mistake and I was told that this was actually the only shade of white/ivory the dress came in and all sales were final even though I had pictures to show what I tried on and was shown before I ordered a dress by the sales clerk. I also found out that I was pregnant and was told by the owner that I could return the dress and purchase something else that would be more accommodating to my size as the dress was a fitted mermaid style gown if I had not placed a "special" order for the dress. I did not special order the dress nor request that it be shipped early. I was told when I ordered the dress that it would arrive in early October but it received a call in late July stating that it had come in early. I have all of my receipts and invoices showing nothing in reference to special order nor was told the day I paid in full that they would be placing a rush delivery on the dress. I have not taken delivery of the dress and it is still in possession of Ballew Bridal.

I would like a full refund of the item purchased as it was not only different from what was described by the clerk, it was also not a special order gown which was used as an excuse as to why it could not be returned per the owner.

Ms Teri G****
BBB
3693 Tyndale Drive
Memphis, TN 38125

August 2, 2014

RE: Case #********: ***** ******

Dear Ms. G****:

Miss ****** purchased a white lace trumpet style gown on June 27th, 2015. We placed the order the next day and received an estimated delivery date of September 25, 2015.

I checked into this complaint as soon as I received your letter and, indeed, the wrong color dress was in fact received. It belongs to a wedding taking place in October. *****'s gown is still scheduled to arrive in late September.

Wedding gowns from this manufacturer usually take 12-14 weeks to come in but if the supplier has the gown ordered in their inventory they ship it early. We received a gown on July 17 and informed *****. On July 23, she came in to see it. That day, the only concern she expressed was if the skirt can be made puffier and told her that netting can be added. There was no discussion regarding wrong color or being pregnant.

***** did call very next day and informed us that she is pregnant and will not be able to wear a fitted dress. Our policy, as is customary throughout the industry, is displayed in signage in the store and clearly stated on receipts, is that all sales are final. Once ordered, Ballew Bridal is obligated to pay the manufactures for merchandise.

Our no refund policy is common for the entire bridal industry. Merchants should not have to absorb charges by customers' change of circumstances. ***** can still accept delivery of the white gown we will receive in September, or as a special accommodation, I would agree to an exchange it for another gown that is better fitted for her situation.

E***** Ballew