Leo's Plumbing & Heating Ltd

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

05/23/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Called this company for boiler repair. They have been to my address on 3 occasions and boiler not fixed. Employee cut air vent intake pipe with hack saw not to code and was supposed to come back and fix but wanted more money. My original boiler issue is still not fixed. I have paid 1058 dollars and boiler still broken. I found out later that Leo's subcontracted out the work and did not advise me of this. I have tried to call the owner on several occasions and he has never called me back to speak with me. I have sent several emails with attached evidence of the damage and no response. I drove to the business location and spoke with owner who assured me he would deal with this matter and fix my boiler. No one showed up. Only after I sent an email I received an email stating he will not help me. I feel that he should have stated that he subcontracted the work and that subcontractor should not have cut my air intake vent, which is not to code.

Refund of all monies paid

Leo's Plumbing: We work by the hour to solve customers' plumbing and heating problems. In *************** my heating specialist **** attended the **** residence regarding a no heat situation. **** replaced a broken circulator pump and flushed the system water that was very full of sediment. The customer advised **** that the boiler had not been looked after for 7 years. Several weeks after our 1st service call, we were called out again regarding an intermittent 'noise in the pipes' issue. **** adjusted the bypass setting and collected 50 dollars as a courtesy rate. *************: 4 months later we were called out for a 3rd service call on an urgent basis. The two new problems this time were an airlock in the pipes and an ignition cycling problem. **** replaced 2 clogged air removers and flushed the system to solve the airlock problem and restore heat and hot water. **** also disconnected the outside-to-boiler-air intake pipe in order to improve the ignition cycling problem. **** advised the customer that the ignition cycling problem is quite complicated and may require a specialty part to be sourced. They agreed to continue with the work on the following monday. Not connecting an air intake pipe and thus drawing air for the appliance from the mechanical room is a perfectly code compliant method of installing a boiler as long as there is an air passage to the outside such as is the case in this house. In either case, the plan was to reconnect the outside-air-to-boiler intake pipe after solving the ignition cycling problem on the Monday. While travelling to the subject location on Monday, **** received a text from the customer stating his intention to not pay any further. Subsequently we communicated with the customer a number of times including offering a free short call by **** to reconnect air intake pipe. The customer refused and initiated a *** complaint. We are very busy tending to our customers often emergency needs and were unable to respond within the two week response period. The amount referenced by the complainant is the sum total of all 3 service calls performed over 5 months including parts, labour and tax. A heating system is a complicated machine that requires regular service, typically every 2 years. Furthermore, this customer has poly-butylene piping in the system that necessitates even more frequent service. As mentioned, this customer failed to maintain his system for 7 years. We did not install this system but were only called when it began to have problems. We feel the customer behaved with ***************************** throughout our communications and that we have gone over and above in terms of being generous.

07/02/2014Problems with Product / Service
02/22/2016Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I contacted this company to engage service at ********** on Nov *** with a male who identified themselves as "***" . An appointment was made for the following day at ******.
I had 2 issues toilet in Basement and a clogged tub drain 3rd floor. I specifically advised him to have the service person park at the rear as I provided parking and there were complaints of "***'s van" parked in the alley and blocking access prior. This was an issue with local residents and I had been informed of a recent altercation. *** was instructed that he must not allow his van to park in the alley.
I called again to the same company at ****** attempting confirmation of the appointment time and that he had the parts needed. I left messages providing the information as "***" requested with a phone call followed by photos and messages via text. No answer was received so I called again at ****** with another message, again no answer and no call back received.

I arrived waiting for the appointment at **** am as scheduled on Nov **** at the location ************** rear at **** and called into the office receiving a busy signal at first then finally and answer at ******. "*** " said they were running late. I was cold and said I'd wait another 30 minutes at the coffee place close by as it was very cold.

I received a call at **** am # ************** by an unidentified male saying was from ***'s, that he was not at the location but would arrive within 10 minutes. I thanked him and said good I'll meet you there in the back where there was safe parking. However he did not show up.

I called back to *** plumbing ************** 2 more times at **** another unidentified male answered said he didn't know where *** was and didn't know where the service man was and could not help me. I said to him that I had waited an hour and a half and I would be leaving to get the parts myself and I cancelled service.I left my name and number and he said he would have *** call me.

I departed at ***** am and went to ***************** for parts. A tenant text me at ***** am saying a repair person was there. I was not happy that they had not contacted me as they had my number. Two tenants agreed to show him the upstairs tub and then the Basement toilet and directed him to wait for my return.

However when I returned at ******* he had already left. There was no representative from ***'s , no van at the front or rear of the building. There was no message left with either tenant no invoice or note from the company.

I had an **** meeting to attend and I departed.

A week later while driving on Dec * 2015, *** phonded me and asked if I was ******* and if I wanted taps repaired I cut him off, and said no I would never contract with him again as he had missed our appointment a week earlier, I explained I was driving and ended the conversation at that.

I can confirm that ***'s plumbing did inspect the location with a tenant on Nov **th - but no work was performed and no invoice was submitted to me.

However I received a message left by a man identifying themselves as alegal advisor for the company and then as a lawyer for ***'s Plumbing, *********** ************. at ****** on Dec **** 2015.

No such lawyer exists in BC's legal database, and the phone number is not traceable.

That caller fraudulently claims "***'s performed work for me on Nov. **th" and that I was "not responsive" and I "refused to pay the invoice"

****** did not provide an invoice amount, an invoice number, what work had been performed, or who had performed it, and no address or business location to contact him at to verify or respond to this message.

****** went on to say that - "it was very important that I pay this outstanding invoice" and that - "it was important I get back to him as I wouldn't want this to go any farther".

I am unable to trace this man in the BC legal database and the number provided in not traceable.

I consider this very poor business practice at best, and the phone call I received today verges on fraud and harassment.

My tenant can confirm a man was at the location at ******* on November **th. As I also have the text messages as I was informed. However they can't confirm anything further than a visual inspection was performed.

The man did not wait for me to approve any estimate for work and they departed by the time I arrived back at ********** at *******.

They could only have been at the location 15 minutes and left no contact information. I don't believe any service or work could be performed within that time.
I did not approve any service quotes and I canceled service with *** company headquarters prior to their arrival as they were tardy by one and a half hours. There was no contract for service to be done.

To date no invoice or description of service has been submitted be either *** company or their legal advisor/lawyer ******.

******* *********
Manager
**************.*************

STOP the phone calls!

I request this invalid action to collect on an un-submitted invoice and work not authorized be stopped immediately.

Stop the harassment and make a consumer report of the improper collection attempts, business practices and fraudulent invoicing.

I also request an apology and undertaking that *** and their employees will no longer block access with their trucks and they will be professional and courteous to all residents in the future so that we no longer feel threatened by this company.

I observe the "***" truck in area fairly frequently and that is why I had contacted them originally.

However - I note that when I engaged *** for the appointment I warned the owner *** about the company truck blocking resident access by parking in the alley and that at least one threatening incident had been reported to me when a "*** Truck Driver" had been rude when requested to move his truck.

One stipulation I contracted with *** when I made the initial appointment was that they park in the space I authorized in the rear of my building while servicing the premises. This would save time and make local residents happy.

Plumbers, Contractor - Drainage , Heating Contractors