BBB Accredited Business since 30/11/2009

Gandy Installations

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

09/22/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

I hired Gandy to come out and fix my pool heater at the end of June 2012. The heater would heat up but would not stay on...it kept turning back off and causing the pool to lose heat. I called them in and the service man came and had a look and said that the whole inside "guts" of the heater needed to be replaced. He quoted the price of just under $2000 to do the work. I asked at that time if it would just be better to replace the whole thing, I could get into a new unit for less than $3000......*****************************************************************************************. I went ahead with the repair.it ran the rest of that pool season, 8 weeks no problem. The next season when I went to start up the heater I had the same issue....at this time the repair would have been under warranty. I called Gandy again, they sent the service man out when I wasn't home, he left a note saying I had just not turned the gas on right and that is why it wasn't heating. I tried to explain that I had turned it all off before he came and that the problem was the same as previous season......I had trouble co-ordinating them to come back so I just kept hitting the on button to the heater everyday to try to keep the pool heated. at this point it was into august, I was going to be away much of that month so I just wanted to turn the pool off for the season but wanted to make sure they honoured the repair..... so I called and spoke with the manager ****. **** ASSURED me that he would make sure that it was all taken care of the following season, free of charge and to go ahead and shut my pool off. They would honour the warranty and apologized for all the issues. When I called the following season, **** no longer worked there so they put me through to the new manager, the owners son. I know they saw the message from **** because we discussed it. they sent the same service man back who replaced a piece..... the problem still continued of not being able to stay on. I called again to say that it still wasn't working and told my story about what the situation was at that time the owners son told me that it was a different problem and the warranty was up and he refused to do anything further and quoted me a large sum to do additional repairs to the heater. He did not seem to care or try to understand my side of the story, or what their company had promised to do. He denied that his employee would have said it would be like new.... I tried to explain it would not make sense for me to spend $2000 when a new heater could be purchased for under $3000 unless I was told it would be like new. At that point I was getting extremely frustrated, feeling ripped off as they had my money, I had a heater that had been under warranty but was still not working. They said they would have the guy come back out and do a detailed list with the code for what is wrong, but that I would need an appointment. So I got off the phone and called the service worker and explained where he could find the key to access the yard, told him I wasn't happy but that the manager had said that they would send him out to assess the codes. Then I received a call back from the manager telling me they would not be coming, or doing anything further for me, and said to not call anymore.The owner left me a message...again didn't even try to understand the timeline or my points and told me that I was harassing them and if I wanted to talk to anyone to only speak to the owner. I sent the owner an email, he replied negatively and was not willing to help after my reply back he never replied again. ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I would like to come up with a fair agreement to get my pool heater running OR I would like them to return a significant portion of the money I paid to them because the heater did not work through the warranty time as promised!!!**************************

In June 2012 we replaced the heat exchanger of Mrs. *****'s pool boiler. The heat exchanger the part in which the heat from the burners is transferred over to the pool water. We also replaced the burners, the ignitor, and the flame sensor. At this time the pool heater was 7 years old and showing signs of wear. ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** The customer okayed us to do the repair totaling $1800.40 after taxes. This part has a one year part and labour warranty on it. On the invoice that was sent to the customer ****** stated "tech marked handle on manual bypass for correct position, which should always be set to when using to heat pool or spa. May be closed for winter circulation only." This was noted as customer can sometimes damage their heat exchangers by changing this bypass position. My technician was then called back on June 24, 2013 for repairs. At this time the heat exchanger was already out of the warranty period. Customer was not at home for this call, my technician found the gas and power off to the unit. He restored gas and power to the unit, it fired up and everything ran. He left an invoice on site. The customer called us back and said that she had actually turned the gas and power off because the unit was not working and there must be something else wrong with the unit. I have since written off this invoice of $173.25. She called back near the end of the summer season in 2013 and spoke to **** our previous service manager who told her we would come out this year to look at the unit for free and repair the issue if it was the heat exchanger, even though the warranty period was over. He felt that we should do this because we charged for a call previously and it was not repaired. (I have since then written off this still outstanding bill) I sent my technician back out on June 26th of 2014. He found that the clearly labeled bypass was in the wrong position, which caused the heat exchanger to soot up, and one of the burners to be warped. This would normally be a billable call even if it was within the parts warranty period, however, since **** told her it would be covered, I decided to replace the burner in the customers unit, as well as clean out the sooted up heat exchanger at no charge to the customer. This would normally be a $499.00 dollar bill plus tax. Her pool boiler has since then had unrelated break downs, ********************************************************************************************************************************* We have already written off $664 worth of repairs for this customer and feel that we have been more than fair with her. We feel that we do not owe her anything further.

I am in total disagreement with this response!

There are many comments and statements that are not accurate or vital information is being left out! It was agreed that they would come and make it right!!! At the time it was still under warranty!!! *********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** The bills that are stated to be "written off" should not ever have even occurred!!!! they were not written off...they shouldn't have been written. the bill for $173 was just aservice call bill and he charged for looking at the pool while it was still under the warrantyand I was told that they would come out and look at it. As for the replacement of the burner, again....it was a warranty item that their service manager promised to come out and make the repair!!! NO CHARGE TO ME. I am not asking to have free services continue. I want the item they originally "fixed" to be right. Which it only was for 8 weeks, not the 1 year warranty. **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

To this date, the part we installed 2 years ago, which had the warranty on it, has not malfunctioned. It is still operating exactly as it should. All of the other problems we have witnessed with the boiler are due to the boiler not being used properly. With an open bypass feed to this unit, excess heat is trapped within the boiler causing sooting up, and warping the boiler. We have already made these repairs in good will, they were not related to the original repair we made, however we covered the cost anyways. As we are not the company that has been starting boiler up and shutting it down, we cannot comment as to whether or not this was done properly. Whether or not it was the customer that opened the bypass feed - the fact remains that this was what caused the issue. The only reason that the customer was asked to stop contacting our company is because she repeatedly called both the office and the technician screaming. We do not feel that our staff needs to take that kind of abuse from customers. Gandy Installations does everything we can to keep our customers happy, and it is not very often that we come across someone that we cannot come to an agreement with. Unfortunately we have been unable to reason with this customer.

05/28/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

On December 8th 2013 I woke at 4:30 am to find my furnace not working and my boiler spraying water.It was a shock as I had no idea what to do. I got some help from the neighbours and called Gandy later in the morning. A repair person from Gandy arrived at 10:15 am. He repaired the fixed expansion tank which was the problem. Water had also gotten into the furnace. He removed PV connections and used the blow torch to dry everything. Once he had dried everything, the furnace worked. However, only a short while later on December 25 (Christmas morning) at 5:30 the furnace again was not working. So I called Gandy and he arrived quickly at 6:30 and was gone by 6:45. He opened the PV furnace door open only to discover that the PV connector was loose - he pushed it in and the furnace worked.
I didn't mind paying for the first service call, however, I don't think that I should have had to call for the second call. My son called Gandy and spoke to the Assistant Manager and was given some very weak excuse. I paid $366.48 for the first repair job and don't think that Gandy was doing their job properly since I was again left without a functional furnace only two weeks later - to the tune of another $292.95.

I think that I should be reimbursed the $292.95 - I don't think that I should have had to pay this.

I guess that if ******** thinks that we didn't do everything in our power to save her money I'm very sorry If the teck had just replaced the parts instead of drying them then we would not have had an issue with the sensing hose ,,, when you dry them with heat they can loose some of there elasticity . but if he replaced the parts it would have been much more expensive on the first trip , but I'm willing to meet ******** havf way if that would make her happy

I think that this shows that Gandy Installations has listened to my complaint. They have offered a reasonable solution. Thank you.

*********