BBB Accredited Business since 15/09/1990

M J M Furniture Centre Ltd

12 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

10/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We purchased a brand new furniture specifically. They delivered us the floor model from their other store that we first saw. Even one of the drivers accidentally confirmed it.

We want a brand new replacement. If it is not possible, we want them to take back the floor model and get our money back. Or the very worst case would be work out on discount for getting a used and slightly damaged furniture.

There was a misunderstanding between the Sales Person and the customer. We have advised the customer that there will be no further discounts and we are willing to pick up the furniture and give them a full refund. We spoke to the customer on Thursday Sep 11/14 and************ said that she had to talk it over with her husband and she will contact us by Monday Sep 15/14. Since we had no response from the customer up until Monday afternoon we tried contacting the customer ourselves. No one answered and we had to leave a message. We have not received a response yet.

06/06/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Dec.21.2013 is when my mom and I purchased a sofa set at MJM furniture******************* When we bought the sofa set we had requested for two love seats instead of one, and did not want the single seat. The sale representative (****************) said that would be fine to do that, so we placed the order. They said that the sofa was going to arrive by dec.27.2013, but they did not. They delivered the big sofa, and the coffee and side tables a few weeks later, and then delivered one of the love seat a few weeks after that.
So at this point we were frustrated that nothing was delivered on time. Around the end of january, my mom and I went personally into the store to ask about the 2nd love seat, and ******** said that it should be there by the end of the month, but it did not arrive. Sometime in January we had talked to him on the phone and he stated that the company is not allowed to sell 2 love seats and he did not know that, but they were still going to give it to us anyways. They did not have a second love seat and said they would have to custom order it, we were fine with that, and said it would take three weeks (this was sometime at the end of January or February). It had been 2 months now and we still have not received the 2nd love seat, but to compensate they did give us a single seat while we waited for the 2nd love seat.
Last week i had called them and asked where is our delivery and they told us they would call us back, and yet they have not.

What I want is for the love seat to arrive within a week, or give us our full money back. It has been 2 months and its ridiculous to have to wait that long for a delivery and have very bad customer services on top of that and not be acknowledged by the staff and instead we have to be the one to follow up with them.

Our Manager ******, phoned the customer, and they are ok to wait for the loveseat. We are giving them a discount and will advise as soon as the furniture arrives.
Thanks

I accept this proposal because they finally told us why the love seat was taking so long, and I can understand that the love seat is stuck somewhere and they can't do much about it. They accept the discount we asked for so it works for both parties.

I would like to re-open this file, as our complaint to MJM furniture has not been resolved by them. My family and I have been calling and visiting them on a weekly basis to see where our sofa is and they always say they will call back and they never do. At this point i would like to return all the items bought from their store and get a full money refund.

we are still waiting on that last love seat which is still not here and has been like this since december. My brother and I have tried several times to contact them and also go in person but they always say we will give you a call and they never do.*************************************************************************************************************************************************************** In the last filed case the store did respond to us and told us that they would be ready to give us compensation and give us a discount, that is what they wrote in the file when they wrote back to BBB. When i went to the store and asked them for that discount they denied ever saying they would.

We will be picking up all items from the customer on May 23/14 and we will refund them.
**********

05/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was given a $2000.00 credit towards exchanging my defective sofa, love seat and chair (***) with a new one in this store.

The *** i had purchased was constantly losing its paint around the stitching area within 4 months of the purchase date and after contacting this company they sent out repairmen after repairmen. This was an continuing problem. I told them I had enough and I wanted to get it exchanged for a new one. The warranty company (seperate from this company) stated the problem was due to a manufacturer defect.

In store i was given a $2000.00 credit (the amount I originally spent on the sofa). I paid an additional $850.00 (taxes and shipment included) towards getting a new sofa, love seat, and bed (***). I was told the *** would be shipped to my home on Friday, May 16, 2014, I received a call telling me that it is delayed until Wednesday, May 21, 2014. I called today, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, and I was told I would have to pay $450.00 extra in order to receive my ***. The salesman, ************, said "you have to pay an extra $450.00 if you don't pay the extra $450.00 then you can keep waiting because your sofa won't be delivered" (translated from Punjabi).

They are forcing me to pay $450.00 extra than what was already agreed upon in-store on a bill of sale (I have already paid the original sum agreed upon in full).******************

The settlement I want is for me to receive the sofa, love seat and bed I have already paid for without paying the extra amount they decided to add on after I already made my purchase.

Our customer************** came in yesterday May 24. He had a discussion with our owner to resolve the complaint. Manufacturer defects are only covered by MJM for 1 year. This customer bought back in 2012 which is clearly over the warranty period. However, our owner agreed to replace the set for him and it is now scheduled to be delivered to the customer on May 28/14.
********
************

My complaint has been resolved .********************************************************

04/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Sofa and loveseat have cosmetic blemishes that repaired when arrived. The product was sold as new when it is clearly a refurnished product that is sold as new.

I would like a full refund without any restocking fees and delivery charges on me.

This is now complete we exchanged sofa for customer.

We will exchange the sofa for customer as long as they sign damage waiver.Their space is super tight and last time we took the sofa through it damaged the fabric.we have also offered customer of going to loveseat as this is smaller and will fit but the customer has refused both options.The frame was broken by the customer but we are willing to exchange.we can not offer anymore options to the customer and we have shown all the flexibility and have no flexibility from the customer.Please let us know response from customer.Thanks

03/12/2015Problems with Product / Service
09/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This is ******** filling complaint against one of furniture shop in Surrey, B.C. I purchased furniture from MJM showroom in Surrey on Jan 10th, 2014 with purchasing price of total $3500 that in my view dosent shows as a whole price or price including taxes in my invoice. I was told by sales person (******) that partcular furniture will be brand new and is available for delivery at my home. They delivered furniture on Jan 15th, 2014 but the furniture I recieved was damaged headboard with used box spring and completely unmatched slats at bottom of bed. Complaint of which I told to same sales person by calling him right away and requested him to change my spring boxes. Next day we went personally to showroom again to thanx for delivery but told him about all the damaged thing and slats.
Sales person gave us surety about changing spring boxes but instead of replacing damaged bed, he told us he will get damaged bed repaired with no compensation although we paid full amount for the new bed but not for used bed. Our spring boxes were changed but despite of my 4-5 calls everyday nobody showed at our place to repair damaged bed.
After our frustated visit in showroom some person naming **** was there on Jan 27th, 2014 to repair our damaged bed. Since then I have given 5-6 calls to sales person for getting our slats changed but everytime I get same answer somebody will call us to get time to get it changed. *************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************.

1. Fixture of our bedroom suite as soon as possible

2. Compensation for price that we were told about new *************** damaged bedroom suite.

3. ***************************************

Please see attached repair report, where the technician notes that there is everything ok with customers bed. The furniture was not Floor Model as the Customer states, it was brand new . Customer's calls were replied by our Sales Manager ******, and owner ****, but they did not get a response. We would like to help the customer resolve this issue as soon as possible. We are not aware of any other unresolved issues.
******

After we filed complaint against them in better business bureau we received call after that within a day from sales person to get our complaint fix. I did receive some person to fix our bed slats, he came in to do that but I haven't received any phone call or any voicemail from the owner yet for the same. Although one of their sales person ******** do called me and my husband to check out if those slats are coloured and replaced back or not but further to that till today I haven't received any courtesy call from that store for price adjustment or anything related.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Regards,

******** singh

The customer's concerns are not warranted. The customer first said we delivered the floor model set which is incorrect. The customer was shipped a brand new set. As in all products nowadays there may be some minor imperfections and they may need touch up. We already completed that work and sent a technician to look after it. We spoke to the customer a few times as to why he is sending this matter to BBB when we already looked after their concerns. His reply was he wanted a discount. In our opinion there is no discount warranty especially after we looked after all of the customer's concerns. We still in goodwill gesture, offered the customer a $250 discount. We still stand by this offer. This time we are making this offer good until July 12, 2014. After this date we will no longer offer any discount and close this matter.

****** ******
MJM Furniture

My problem with bed has not been yet fixed by the company. Details of every conversation with them has been already send you via email by me. The issue has been the same:-
-My bed was damaged and they charged me for new bedroom suite.
-Sales person didn't listened us for the same until we didn't went in his store 2-3 times for the same
- For first 4-5 months we were even not sure about this that Business owner would give us extra discount for the same or he will change our bedroom suite , ************************************************
- After we complained sales person approached us with compensation of just $150 and $250 as his last option instead of talking with courtesy
- Even approx after 7 months of our purchase last call sales person made was either they will compensate us with $850 or they will take their furniture back.
We are so frustrated from there sale that since purchase of our furniture from their store up to today, I have never heard back from the Owner of the store, every time we are approached by sales person and nobody from their business have ever shown courtesy to apologize for same. ***************************************************

05/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In the beginning of February my fiancé and myself purchased a couch from this location and mid month they delivered it. When the movers showed up the product wasn't wrapped to protect it and in the process of the movers moving it into our suite the ripped the couch and broke the frame. We didn't notice it till they left and we contacted the store later that day. They ended up sending someone in to fix the rip and examine the frame, which was not worth the fix. We contacted the store again and they said they would exchange the couch. They sent out a new one unable to remove the couch they told us they wouldn't bring the new one in that we'd have to order a smaller couch. After a few times of calling the store the store owner told us that he would send a new couch wrapped and it was ready for delivery. A couple weeks later we still hadn't heard back. I called again requesting the owner and was passed from employees to mangers then told he was busy that he would call me back as soon as he could. I received a voicemail from our sales rep instead! I called the store back demanding the owner once again, I finally got ahold of him. He told me I have to get a smaller couch and sign a waver saying that any damage done in the move would be my responsibility not his movers and that there was absolutely no chance of a refund. I was unhappy as he also said that the frame of the couch doesn't break that easy so it was my fault for it breaking!

All I want is the couch I ordered delivered with no damage or my money back.

The customer's space in their home is very tight. We will give her a new Sofa if she signs a waiver, that we are not responsible for damages to sofa or the house, while trying to deliver in a very tight space. If she prefers she can arrange to pick up a new sofa. We suggested that customer take a Love Seat which is smaller but she refuses to do so. Customer did not return messages that were left.
******
MJM Furniture

I will not sign a waiver for anything, I do not trust their movers and I have no way to move it myself we paid for the delivery as well. We do not want to get a love seat. I would honestly like my money back.

We have offered this customer several options since the delivery date. We already offered to exchange the sofa for the customer. The customers space is very tight to fit the sofa through. It is normal practice in this case for our store to have our customer's sign a damage waiver before moving the furniture in. The very first time the customer refused to sign the waiver and the drivers delivered anyhow. The sofa had a tear, however the frame was not broken at time of delivery. The frame was broken 2 weeks after the delivery. The frame would not break from delivering through a tight space. However, we are still offering a replacement as there was a tear. We will not deliver inside the customer's house for an exchange until the customer signs the damage waiver. We will exchange it for them as soon as that waiver is signed. Otherwise we can deliver to their door and they would have to get it inside their house. That has been already offered to the customer. We offered to exchange the sofa for a loveseat for our customer as well. We also offered to have the customer come in and reselect a smaller sofa. We have tried accommodating this customer in every way.
*********
MJM Furniture

We will compromise, mjm can deliever the couch weve order to our house I will have PROFESSIONAL Movers move it into our house after inspecting the couch has no damage. Then once we are satisfied it is not damaged we will sign a waiver.Mjm can then remove the old couch out any damage done to our house will be their responsiblitity. If the couch is not wrapped when delievered we will deny moving it! I also want mobey back for having to wait 3 months for a couch and to have to waste my time fighting about it.

02/21/2013Advertising / Sales Issues