BBB Accredited Business since 01/06/1984

Gerry's Automotive Ltd.

10/15/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I drive a 2001 **************** car, it got 170,000 kms. I used this car to commute for work every day from Abbotsfoord to New westminster. The car was driving fine and everything was going good but when i got an oil changed from Gerrys automotive, i do not know what happened, the cars engine just started smoking when i get home back from gerrys garage.

my car is not even turning on. I spent $145 at gerrys garage and the cars engine just blew up when i got home.

I am looking for the compensation of my car or probably if i can get some money to get another, so that i can go to work. It's been 5 days, i am taking taxi to go to work because i do not have money to buy another car.

Contact Name and Title: *************, GM
Contact Phone**************
Contact Email: ********************
The complainant booked in for an oil change. Upon our standard inspection we found signs of very poor maintenance; engine oil leaks, coolant and transmission leaks (which meant very low levels present of fluids) and brake fluid contamination which would have required flushing and re-filling (note; customer declined to have this work carried out). The engine oil was changed so completely replaced and we also had to top-up the coolant by some two litres and the transmission fluid also by a similar amount. The customer had also mentioned that the engine had been over-heating and that he had been having to top-up the anti-freeze. In response to his concern we conducted a cooling system pressure test and found a leak at the intake manifold. We advised the customer of the problem and he confirmed he would like this work carried out so we ordered the parts which would have been delivered the following day and booked the car in to have the leak repaired then. We strongly advised the customer not to drive the vehicle but he had to work that evening and insisted on taking it so all we could do was add some cooling system stop-leak in an attempt to slow down the leak. The customer did not return the car to us the next day and we have not heard from him at all since, either to re-book the car or to advise us of any problems with it. We in fact still have his parts in stock awaiting his return. If we had heard from the customer with the issue of the smoking/blown engine which allegedly occurred only some ten minutes or so after leaving us we would have gladly towed the car back to the shop to investigate further. This complaint, filed with the BBB on 25 August, is the first we have heard of any concerns, and we note that it was filed some ten days after the alleged problem occurred.

First of all, the day when I got my car fixed from Gerrys automotive was Saturday evening and by the time I reach home, they were closed. Next day was Sunday so I waited to call them on Monday. I made a call on Monday and one of the staff member told me that they would like to check and get my car towed their garage on my expenses. Which does not make any sense? So I got this car checked from friend of mine and he told me it is definitely a wrong oil change. The oil Gerrys automatics used is thicker than I used before. Also I had no idea where I could report my complaint so it took me couple days to report BBB. As my friend advised me that BBB will help me review my situation.

My car used 10 w30 oil which is synthetic and Gerrys Automotive used 5w30 which is why the engine blew. I am not begging Gerrys to fix my car or some remuneration, but this is how they do customer service. VERY SAD! I mean they could have fixed my car and everything would have been okay, I couldn't understand why they wanted to check my car on my expenses, since they made a mistake.

Well thank you for your offer Mr. *****, I've sold my vehicle to junk yard for $100. You guys could have given me this offer the day I called you about the issue. Unfortunately I am not very happy with your services and will not recommend anyone to get their cars services from your garage. I've lost so much money by making a bad decision to go to Gerrys automotive.

THANKYOU!

We are unsure as to where we can go from here as we are of the opinion that the work carried out by Gerry's Automotive is not to blame for the failure of the customer's car. As already mentioned, the customer's car showed signs of poor maintenance and he was advised of a number of engine oil leaks, a transmission fluid leak and a coolant leak. The only repair agreed to was the coolant leak which was scheduled for the following working day. It was not possible to carry out this repair on the day of inspection as we did not have the parts to hand and our warehouse is closed on Saturdays. We strongly advised the client not to drive the car with the coolant leak yet he insisted on doing so.

On revising the matter we note that the customer stated that the 'car's engine just started smoking when he got home from Gerry's Automotive'. According to our records he left our shop at or around 3pm with the drive home being approximately 15 minutes. Our shop is open until 5pm on a Saturday but he did not telephone immediately to inform us of any problem. The customer did not advise us of the name of the employee who took the call he said he made on the Monday but the response the customer said he was given was the industry norm; the car should be towed back so that the problem can be ascertained and if it is a result of an improper repair then the shop will pay for any repairs necessary and, of course, the tow bill. The customer would have no further expense in this event.

The customer alleges that 'a friend' checked the car and told him it was 'a wrong oil change' that caused the problem as the oil we used was too thick. No mention is made of the credentials or otherwise of the friend but he erroneously advised the customer as in fact the oil we used was thinner than that used by the customer and was that recommended by the manufacturer. If the customer was using a different oil to that recommended by the manufacturer no mention was made to us of this fact but in any event it is a moot point as the oil was drained and wholly replaced with the recommended viscosity.

In our last response, in order to try to rectify this matter and prove to the customer that we were not at fault, a goodwill gesture was made in that we would tow the car back at our expense to ascertain the problem with the car and the reason for it. However we are sad to note from the customer's response to this offer that this is now not possible as he has seen fit to dispose of the car. This is very unfortunate as now we are unable to prove our innocence in this matter, just as the customer is unable to prove otherwise, as the evidence has been destroyed.

We at Gerry's Automotive are still of the opinion that the work carried out on that day did not in any way contribute to any failure of the car but that it was in all probability the customer's insistence on driving the car in the condition it was in. We now find it wholly difficult to move from this position without the car being available to us. In the absence of any evidence, how is it possible for a judgement to be made either way? The integrity of our company is being questioned without any definite way for the matter to be appropriately resolved.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any further goodwill gesture we can make to the customer to resolve this matter as the car is no longer available to us for inspection or repair. In the light of this therefore we will of course be willing to proceed to mediation if the customer so desires.

*************
General Manager
Gerry's Automotive

Automobile Repairing & Service, Automobile Parts & Supplies-Whol & Mfrs, Automobile Wheel Alignment, Axle & Frame Repair, Recreational Vehicles-Service & Repair, Mufflers & Exhaust Systems-Engine, Brake Service, Automobile Repair & Service - Diesel, Automobile Machine Shop Service, Fuel Injection Equipment & Service, Automobile Air Conditioning Equipment