BBB Accredited Business since 11/18/2004

Central Roofing

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

08/13/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Failure to honor warrantee agreement. Failure to install water shield properly to skylights.
On ************** CENTRAL ROOF installed a *** roofing system with a 7 year Central Roofing Warranty against Workmanship defects.

By ********** the roof began to leak around the skylights.

I repeatedly tried to contact the company.

The leak was off and on for the last couple of years, and I received no calls but I tried to be a nice guy about it. Then this summer the skylight began to leak continuously.

I called Central again and spoke to ***** ***** (the owner) who promised to come have a look at it the next day.

I did not hear from him over the whole next week in spite of my calling yet again.

The skylight continued to leak around the edges. The dining room ceiling began to crack ***************************************************************.

Finally I called another company who showed up the very next day. A red seal carpenter and his assistant spent the whole day on our roof and repaired the leak.

Apparently the ice shield was not run up the sides of the skylight, but rather just laid against the edge leaving a gap where the water ran through.

I e-mailed ***** to inform him of this but he argued that the skylights were not part of the original deal. ****************************************************************************************************************************

I realize that running a small business of any sort is no easy task and I do not want to be unfair about this - but I feel that the leak and the damage that our ceiling has taken should not come completely out of our pockets.

If the shielding had been properly installed their likely would not have been any leakage. We haven't had any leakage since the second repair job.

We had to pay about six hundred dollars for the repairs. I feel that a portion of that ought to have been paid by Central - because if they had installed the shielding properly in the first place there never would have been a problem.

I feel I am being very fair in asking for *********************.

The skylights were leaking before we did the roof job. I recommended that the skylights may need to be changed or the problem may continue. He opted for the cheaper approach. In this case I chose to install the ice shield this way because once you start to dismantle a flashing kit they can be even more troublesome. ********************************************. Just because the ice shield doesn't go up the sidewalls of the skylight doesn't make it wrong. The skylight comes with a flashing kit and its purpose is to keep the water out. If the water is getting beneath the flashing kit then it would be considered a faulty skylight because the flashing kit is not doing what it is supposed to be doing. I'm not convinced that we did anything wrong. *************************************. ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************. ****************************************************************************************************. ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************. ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************. **********************************. So at this point my position is that we have done nothing wrong and the client wants me to pay for work that was required anyway that he would like to not have to pay for at all. **************.

Let me try to address Central Roofing's reply, step by step.

If the ice shield is laid down beside the flashing that is already in place rather than overlapping the flashing, a gap is left. A gap wide enough for rain to come through. By not overlapping skylight flashing with the ice shield that Central applied they left a gap for water to come through.

Finally, as I mentioned before, if Mr. ***** had bothered to get back to me in the first place this whole mess would have been avoided. A businessman should learn to honor his commitments and if a person says they will be there on a certain day they ought to be there when they said they would show up - or else phone to let the customer know that he can't make it.

When I spoke to Mr. ***** over the phone, back in ***** he said he would be there the next day, and I agreed over the phone that if the skylights needed to be replaced that he should go ahead and do it. At that point he had sealed the deal and he could have repaired his mistake and I would have been none the wiser and would have happily paid his second bill.. Only he did not show up or phone to let me know that he wasn't coming.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi. I prepared the cheque and I am putting in the mail today. Regards, ***** Central Roofing

That would be fine by me. ****************************************************************

04/10/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Had new roof put on apprx 2and a half years ago . Has been leaking around flashing since . roofer refuses the blame of leak and will not comply with d
Had leak in roof , called roofer ( central roofing ) apprDec.10 2012 . agree on a price , work commence shortly after . After roof was finish called roofer back to clean up shingles and nails that were left behind , roofer came back clean up mess. roofer emailed me a warranty on shingles and a 7 year workmanship on roof . Since then called roofer back as I had a leak around the flashing , roofer came back and put more cocking around flashing ,worked for a little time. Started leaking in the same spot again , called roofer back . Roofer came back took some things apart and fixed it ( not the lead flashing still the same flashing ) . worked temporarily. Some time later roof leaked again in the same spot. Called roofer back he went up to roof took veido of chimney ,went on to show me the damage chimney and that he thought the leak was coming threw the brick and mortar . Then went on to say that it is not his problem . My do diligence . I took pics of the chimney inside the attic which shows where the leak is coming from ,went on to send him them prior to his last visit. I ask him about them he just refuse to acknowledge them , I also show him where ( in the pic ) if you take your finger and wipe it across where the flashing is above on the inside of the house you can see and feel the moisture . Still not only refuse to acknowledge that but as well did not even go into the attic to have a look at it himself. I also recorded our conversation on his last visit plus had 2 witnesses here to listen in on our conversation which in he said he stands by his work ***************************************************************************************************************** . ************************************************************************************************************* . My next step is to have a couple of roofing companies come in and check the problem . First company * **** ******* who also does masonry , results the flashing is the cause of the leak ,chimney does need a few repairs however it is not the cause of the leak ( eroding around the leg which holds up the cap ) The company gave me a quote. Called ******* ******* also took a look at the problem and told me it was the flashing " Said several mistakes were made with the install of the flashing. Got quote . Called back ******* to fix problem as Central ( ***** ***** ) told me that he is not going to fix it anymore . ******* did the work ( 1825.19) and has not leaked since mid DEC and that's with a major rain and winds over a 100 km a hour plus several snow storms , plus several thawing's and freezing's . Next step called insurance company to open claim for repairs to my ceiling as they would not cover the flashing , payed deductible ( 200.00 ) I'm not asking for any less or any more ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ . ***** ***** is so fixated that the chimney is the cause of the leak that he is blinded that it is his own work that was the problem , when asked why with all the weather we've had after I had a another company come in and fix the flashing I have had no leaks and that the chimney is exactly the same as it was because their was no work done to it which he can check if he likes as he took a viedo of the chimney the last time he was here . It will look exactly the same minus all the snow. We have emailed each other several times to solve the issue but he refuses even though I have a ton of evidence that it was his workmanship. He left me no choice but to put this complaint in . All I want is the 2025.19 that it cost me to fix it which is over and above what I already paid him to put a new roof on in the first place .

I'm asking for the money I paid to ******* ******* 1825.19 and the money I paid to the insurance for my deductible 200.00 for a total of 2025.19 no less no more .

Contact Name and Title: ***** *****
Contact Phone: **********
Contact Email: **************************
The last thing I want is an unsatisfied customer. Having said that I feel in certain situations I have to stand my ground *****************************************. I am not going to spend additional money that I consider to be outside of the agreed work. This is how I see it and it is not unreasonable. We completed the agreed work. There was a problem with the chimney sometime afterwards. We assumed responsibility at this point and dismantled our work around the chimney and did it over again with premium ice shield new flashing etc. The chimney sits close to the peak/ridge so we were aware that a special detail was required. So although we ran the ridge vent across the back of the chimney we completely sealed it at this area due to the location of the chimney. We reused the existing lead flashing as the customer expressed no interest in acknowledging that this was outside the scope of work and would be at an additional cost. At the time we redid the chimney flashing I was on site and noticed that the concrete chimney cap was in poor condition to the point that the holes in the bricks were exposed. There were 4-5 holes the size of a dime directly above the leaking area. The entire chimney cap was questionable. At this point with our chimney flashing redone and with no commitment from the customer to spend any additional money to redo the chimney cap or replace the lead flashing I had to take a stand. I felt very confident that our work was completed beyond the standard practice and it couldn't leak. I was there and directed the process. Additional to this, The other contractor claims we did several things wrong. I know for a fact this is not true and it is typical for other contractors to say bad things about other people work. *************************************************************************************************************************************************************************. The other contractor also charged the customer $1800 ? What did the customer receive for $1800 ? I know to redo the chimney flashing with new lead would be $800-1000 worst case scenario on a small chimney. What did they do for $1800 ? Did they replace the chimney cap ? Install new lead flashing ? If so these items were suggested at the time with no success on my part. I have a video that shows the chimney and the video clearly shows the holes in the top of the chimney. The video also clearly shows that the existing lead flashing was reinstalled in a professional manner by my company. I'm sorry but it's difficult for me to take further responsibility when there are clearly additional items pointing to the leaking. If those items had of been addressed and it still leaked then I would logically step in. I know this is difficult for the customer and myself. Nobody wants to get burned including me.

I do not accept his response , as he is not accepting the fact that it no longer leaks when the flashing was redone and the chimney which he keeps focusing on is exactly as it was , those holes he claims that are there are still there yet no leaks . ************************************************************************************************************************************************** , He wants me to pay him more money to fix a problem that wasn't there before he put the new roof on including the flashing around the chimney . I could see if he put the roof on 4 or 5 years ago but it's been just over 2 and this problem existed very shortly after ( within in months ) the new roof was put on . Besides what is a warranty for a 7 year workmanship mean if he doesn't actually fix the problem which clearly once again is not the chimney but was the flashing . Basically he is the one who put me in a spot where I had to bring someone in to fix it as if left alone would of caused a lot more damage . **************************************************************************** .************************************************************************************************************************ . In one sentence he says they put new flashing on then in the next he say they reused the existing flashing. Further more the agreed work was to replace a roof with warranty on the shingles and the workmanship which I am assuming fixing problems with the work or the product. He says he is very confident that his work couldn't leak however when I showed him pics of where the leak was coming from he didn't even go into the attic and look , no! he immediately dismissed it , that doesn't sound like a contractor looking to fix the problem. As far as the cost of the other contractor , what does that matter . I had 2 companies quote the problem and both were within 100 of each other . ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* . Bottom line looking for the cost of fixing my flashing and ceiling $2025.19 .

As much as I would like to see this resolved I have to stand by what I said previously. The homeowner prefers to see it his way and there is no reasoning on his behalf to see my point of view so this is more difficult than it needs to be. I cannot redo a chimney over and over again when there are other factors involved that are outside of my control. There are too many questions for me to just volunteer to take the blame. If I was given the resources to install new lead, new concrete cap which was desperately needed at the time then I could have said all the items have been addressed. At the time we did the roof 5 years ago the homeowner ***************** didn't want to contribute any more money to install new lead etc which apparently costs $1800 ? I am completely confident in the work we did the first time we did the chimney and definitely the second time as well. I feel that the leak was something that was out of my control because I wasn't granted the resources to install new lead or new concrete chimney cap. From my point of view or any logical point of view you cannot ignore the holes in the top of the chimney as possible leaks. This is not me trying to get away with something by blaming it on something. I am making a legitimate point that without these items addressed I could not change my position and take the blame for this. I feel that I have tried to explain this 6 different ways with no success at all. If I alteast would have received some acknowledgement in the past 5 years from the homeowner that yes , I can understand that those holes shouldn't be there and maybe if we changed the lead that has been there for 20 years it may also make a difference. ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** I would think the homeowner would think in logical terms and say .......those holes really shouldn't be there and it makes sense to have it fixed regardless of whether they are causing leaks or not.... But maybe they are and I really should have it fixed. I see that the homeowner is not taking any responsibility and seems to think its entirely my fault. I don't know what else to say.

01/21/2014Problems with Product / Service