BBB Accredited Business since 07/29/2009

Rockingham Hardware Ltd.

08/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company installed new submersible pump in drilled well and got it stuck when well collapsed due to jamning the pump down the shaft
Existing submersible pump failed during the first week of ********** and Rockingham Hardware was called in to diagnose and repair/replace. Pump was seized and Rockingham proceeded to replace with a new pump. Existing pump came up with no effort from a mechanical pump pump lifter. Installer proceeded to install new pump and reused the existing torque arrestor above the new pump as per industry standards. As new pump was being lowered into the well bore, the installer began experiencing resistance at around the 45 foot depth and began having to lift the pump back up toward the surface and then jam the pump back down into the well. This action continued for the next 10 to 15 feet of installation for the installer until, at approx. the 60 foot level, the pump became stuck and could no longer be pulled up or be pushed down. After trying to lift the pump with the mechanical pump lifter with no success, a second installer was called and the 2 men then tried to lift the pump using a shiv over the well casing and the service van as the puller. At this point with the pump still not moving,both installers realized that the pump was stuck and contacted their supervisor, **********, to bring him up to speed. I spoke with *** on the phone and he told me that they would get me temporary water for the short term and try and lift the pump again when the weather warmed. A week later the installer came to my home to install some rigid insulation around the above ground portion of my well casing and ***** rigged the pump water feed pipe back down into the well casing to prevent possible freezing of my water line. At this point *** arrived and told me they would come back in the spring with a boom truck to lift the pump and handed me an invoice for $1703.51 for the work that had been performed to date. I paid this invoice that day via **** with the assurance from *** that they were going to fix the problem as soon as they could.

On ****** I contacted *** to see when the guys were coming back to try and lift the pump again. He told me they were busy that week but would be in touch the following week. The following week we scheduled his installers to come out on the first week of **** to try and lift the pump with a tri-pod and set of come-a-longs. Again the pump would not move and the installers packed up and called ***. At this point I asked *** what he was willing to do to remedy the situation and he said he had to contact his partner ************ and discuss the situation with him before he could discuss possible remedies. The next day he called me to say that it was there companies position that they were not liable in collaspe of my well and I was on my own for having a new well drilled, and all of the other associated costs, including the pump that I had just purchased and can no longer use.

The water that we are presently using from the collapsed well has been brown for months due to the constant and continued collapse of the well and has now and has stained all of our clothing, appliances, plumbing fixtures, and has no doubt done damages to our hot water tank, boiler, washing machine, dishwaher, water softner, and all of our plumbing pipes and valves.

I am hoping that Rockingham Hardware will correct all damages to my property that resulted from the collapsing of my well by having a new well drilled for me to at least the depth of the old well and installing a new submersible pump and associated hardwares free of charge. I also want them or their insurance to have an adjuster come to my house and access the level of damage to my interior plumbing fixtures, devices, and all of my appliances that used the contaminated water. I would also like any damaged clothing replaced at market values.

I am sure that this business would carry insurances to protect it's interests in an event like the one that happened above and can not understand why they have taken this approach.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
Having read ************ complaints , we have the following comments:
Rockingham Hardware has been in business for over 50 years. We have replaced thousands of submersible pumps in drilled wells over those years for customers. Occasionally we will encounter a well which is tight ( usually because
the well was not drilled straight ), and will encounter some difficulty either pulling the pump
from the well or re-installing it. Nearly 100% of the time we are successful in re-installing the pump to its original depth. In this case we pulled
the old pump from the well without any difficulty.
We replaced the defective pump, and when re-installing it, encountered difficulty pushing it down at approx. the 45ft depth level. Keep in mind
we are installing a 4" diameter pump into a 6" diameter hole. Just above the pump we installed a
torque arrestor which expands to approx. 6" so there is a little resistance when we re-install the pump. Also keep in mind we cannot see 45ft
down a well if the water level is high up, so we
don't know what may be down there.
When we encountered the tightness, we tried to get by it by pulling the pump up and then re-lowering the pump, hoping to get by the tight spot. ********* said, in his letter, said that we
jammed the pump down the shaft. We acknowledge that we applied force , to get the pump by the tight spot, but we would not call it " jamming the
pump down the shaft ".
While it is unfortunate that the pump became lodged in the well, it was something that occurred as a result of a tight hole. Having installed thousands of pumps in drilled wells, we
are confident that we could not have done anything differently, to change the outcome.
Therefore we feel we are not negligent.
We did attempt to retrieve the stuck pump, by a
couple of different means, but were unsuccessful.
We were able to re-connect the water supply so the
customer had water. So instead of pumping from the approx. 100ft level, the pump is pumping from
approx. the 60 ft level. To my knowledge the customer does not run out of water
at this level. The issue is, he says, the water
quality is poor at this level, because he says the
well has collapsed . We don't know if the well has collapsed, and neither does he. He is just
assuming so.
We have always worked with customers when the
occasional job has not gone well, whether it was
our fault or not. We have never been sued or had
a BBB complaint filled against us ( to my knowledge ). That is why we have been in business
for 50 years, and have a good reputation for service.
While we acknowledge no wrong doing on our part, we would be willing to hire someone to video tape
the well, at our cost, to try to determine what
has happened in the well, so that we can come up
with a plan of action to attempt to retrieve the
pump from the well again. If agreeable to this, we would like to do this asap.

I do not disagree with this business's response that they have a good reputation and have been in business for over 50 years. This is precisely the reason I contacted them and used their services. I also agree to Rockingham Hardware's request to hiring someone (at their own cost) to video the well to identify the issue with the stuck pump. That being said, this was the same plan of action that was offered after my initial meeting (at my home) with **********. The reasoning for the decision not to utilize a video camera (after the second attempt to lift the pump in **** was unsuccessful) was that "due to the discoloration and sediments in the water from probable collapse we likely won't be able to see anything anyway."

After the pump became stuck back in *****, and again, when the technicians came to my home in **** to try and recover the stuck pump for the second time, the discussions between these technicians, *** and myself revolved around the well having collapsed and the fact that a new drilled well was likely the only solution. Regardless of whether the pump can be retrieved after the video camera inspection or not, I now have a property that has no potable water and is therefore not able to be sold (as was my families intent this year), a well that will have to be re-drilled to a depth that will provide my home with the water capacity required by standards, a new pump stuck in a well that has been drawing sediments through the impellers for months, resulting in the likelihood of premature failure this new pump, a compromised plumbing system throughout my home that has been drawing waters filled with sediment through water softeners, valves and fixtures for going on 6 months, appliances that have been compromised due to drawing this contaminated and discolored water, hot water tanks and boiler systems that have been compromised, and numerous articles of clothing that have been stained and discolored to the point they are no longer usable.

I feel that any company performing work in a service type of environment, especially accredited through BBB and carrying all of the necessary insurances, would want to better accommodate their clientele in the event that any damages arising from services provided, were corrected without the need for third party intervention. ********** stated that his company has performed thousands of submersible pump installations and replacements over the companies fifty years with nearly a 100% success rate, however, when incidents like the one that occurred on my property happen, the party liable for the damages should correct the situation.

Hello,

We have contacted our insurance company with the intention of opening up a claim with regards to this case.
*********, has probably been contacted by the adjuster already. We are waiting a response from the
insurance company , and will notify BBB, once we have directions from the adjuster.

Regards
**************

I do accept the companies intention of opening a claim with their insurance company and was contacted by ******************************************************. After explaining the scenario and desired remedies, I have yet to hear back from the insurance company in regards to how they will proceed.

**********************************************************