Gentleman Jim's Moving Company Inc.

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

08/25/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Things were destroyed or damaged including walls and door frames. Owner has not returned emails or calls. He is rude and hung up in my face.
I have called and emailed **** numerous times about damages. He did shown up at my house once with one of the guys that moved us and he plastered a few spots on the walls. I have him times we were available for them to come back and did not hear from them. He told me he would give me a partial refund but will not give me dollar value. I have asked him for his insurance info which he will not provide. At one point he said he would give me the info but has not done so. The last time I called him because he had not been responding to my emails he hung up on me. I had to pay for an extra locker which he ended up putting my things in with another customer saying the customer damaged my things.

To contact **** for a refund for me.

After several attempts to try and pick the furniture up that was damaged they finally asked to be reimbursed in full, so I do have full insurance so I will be letting the insurance company deal with this matter and hopefully come to a satisfactory conclusion. I do apologize to Mrs. ******** for the damages. I know there is no excuse but I had to take around 5 weeks off and was not managing the company when this occurred, yes I did still take some calls but in no way had anything to do with day to day operations. ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* everything that went wrong went wrong during my time away and I do apologize, ******************************************************************************. I had hired a new driver and swamper and did not go through the normal routine of going out on a truck for a couple days with them to show them exactly how we do things here, apparently quite a few things went wrong during the time I was away and I take full responsibility and promise that I will get her furniture perfectly fixed to her satisfaction. I let one of my employees run the company for a few weeks and there was quite a few things done wrong, I have since fired the people responsible and am finally back running things again and assure you that NONE of this stuff will ever happen when I am running this company.

**** did not attempt to pick up any furniture as he did not return my calls and this was I going from ***** *. He did not come to my house until the end of ****. At that time I told him I was not allowing him to take my dresser as they damaged it once and destroyed my walls and doors in the process. He was supposed to come back to fix the paint and plaster which he never did come back as free being given times we would be home.

Also, he charged me for an extra storage locker for my overflow items and has told me my things were damaged when in a locker with another customers things. I told him from the start I wanted a partial refund and my things fixed. Now it's to the point where I want a full refund and my things fixed/replaced.

08/25/2015Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Paid for moving and storage. Our items were stored in a shared locker with other customers we were told we would have own locker.Missing several items
We hired and paid for moving and storage from Gentleman Jim's storage on *** *st ****. All our belongings were taken from our home at * ********* ******, ***************************** in 2 trips to a storage locker at *** ******* ****** # ** on *************************. The total price for pick up and storage for 1 month was $***.**. We paid in cash. On *** **th **** we had our belongings returned to our new home at ** ******* **** , ************. Our items were returned with some damages. The owner of Gentleman Jim's moving **** came to our new home to assess the damages. After much discussion and heated debate we came to a agreement to pay **** $***.** of the $***.** for the return of our belongings in lieu of the some of the damages. Despite the damages to our property which we were willing to accept and fix ourselves we are missing some expensive tooling that **** is stating he never picked up. We are missing a *********, a ******** and a **************. He asked the young men who picked up our belongings from * ********* ****** about the tools but they say they never took anything from our garage... which is hard to believe because as we packed our home to prepare for moving we stored all boxes and tools in the garage. 3/4 of what the movers took from our home was taken from the garage. We tried speaking to the owner directly but not with no satisfaction. We would like compensation for the tools we lost.

We were never told we would share a locker with other customers. We were told our locker # and that it was ours. Its not normal practice for a moving company to share lockers with several customers. We would have never agreed to sharing a locker with other tenants. This is how things get lost or stolen! We trusted Gentleman Jim's Moving Company with our life's belongings and we deserved to have or belongings 100% returned. We would like our belongings returned to us or a full replacement. A **************************************** and ***** and a **********************. **********************

This customer called me to come to their place during the offload to look at the large scratch on the top of an item so I left to drive from 40 kilometers away where I was at a meeting and went directly to their home. When I got there Mr. ***** pointed out a large scratch he said so I went over to the item and wiped the dust off it and the scratch disappeared, there was no scratch, it was dust put in a line to resemble a scratch from far off, what looked to be a scratch ( UNBELIEVABLE) was what I thought. They then showed me a chip of wood that came off a back leg of a highboy dresser, it was against the wall, on the back, it couldn't be seen if you didn't know where to look, plus there were 2 other chips of paint off, less size than your small fingernail, **************************************** so just to settle and get out of there I took over 3 hundred off the bill, they wouldn't pay their taxes either so I just let it go cause I have dealt with people like this before and I knew there was nothing I could do to please them.

We are not disputing that ****, the owner of Gentleman Jims came to our home, he did. His own workers called him because there was damage to our furniture. We did settle with **** the owner of the company, Gentleman Jims Moving for a lesser amount due to the damage to our furniture. At this point we didnt realize we had missing belongings because Gentleman Jims dont mark or record your items. **** asked us what we wanted. He said ***$ we said ***$. He also said we could pay the full amount and go through his insurance. At this stage we really didnt trust **** to pay him in full and expect him to put it through his insurance. As for the taxes **** prefers cash and his guys suggest you pay in cash to save the taxes. Then **** don't have to provide receipts ***************************. We never did get an official receipt from Gentleman Jims moving only for the pictures I took on my phone. ****, I am missing tools that was my dispute with you nothing else. We settled on an amount for damages to our belongings not missing belongings. When lockers are shared among customers things are bound to happen. It's unfortunate because the young men who came to our home were very polite and apologetic for all the mix up and damage. All we wanted **** was at least an effort to try and find our missing belongings. You didn't even have the respect for us, paying customers, to return our call and say we can't find anything and we are sorry for the mix up. You make it sound like we paid you nothing to move our belongings, we paid you $*** up front to move our furniture to your so called storage facility. Then another ***$ when it was returned. So, thas ****$ for the return of our damaged, missing belongings. *****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

07/22/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On *********** we had these movers move our household items from ******** to *********** we booked this movers about 6 wk. to 2 months in advance and asked Mr. ******* to come and see how much we had, He said he didn't need to that he knew what truck he would need for a standard 3 bdr house, We had downsized considerably as we were moving to a ***************, Mr. ******* told us it would be a 5-6 hr. job at 90 dollars an hour and the most it would cost us was 600.00 dollars He told us he only accepted cash and we took out 700.00 just to be sure... On the moving day he sent a truck that was too small and told us there would have to be two trips and that we would have to pay.... We asked if we could unload and have a bigger truck ******************************************************** said nothing was coming off this truck.. ****************************************************************************************** When we finally got to *********** with the second load we were told by the driver that we would have to pay for 10 hr!!! They worked from 930 am to 530pm,, ************************************************************************************************* We did not have that amt. of cash with us so the driver said "contrary to what Mr ******* said "That we could pay by credit card,, The total bill came to 1023.00!!!! I paid the bill which was 923.00 on credit card and 100.00 in cash because the driver said he needed money for gas... My wife signed the credit card bill but wrote on it that she was disputing the terms of the agreement ie: 1023.00 as per 600.00 approximate... After all this the driver would not give us a receipt he said no ,,, Mr. ******* would email us a receipt on *******, ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* **************************************************************************************************

We would like to have a refund of 180.00 that was over and above anything we had expected and Please give us a receipt for the money we had paid, I really don't think this is too much to ask.. ***********************************************************************************...

They were givin a choice as to have a large truck with 4 men for $125 per hour or a 17 foot cube truck with 3 men for $95 per hour, we charge by the hour. So if you do the math a 5 hour job in the large truck is $625 , it took a second trip in the smaller truck which meant an extra couple of hours so 7 hrs in the cube truck is $665, all because 3 pieces would not fit I was told by the driver. ************** we quoted an estimated price over the phone, it may have gone over that by a little but I quoted them an estimate, not a finale price. We charge by the hour, ********************************************************************

03/20/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

This bunch ********* was hired to move furniture from one house to another. They quoted $380 but didn't move half of the items they agreed to and when it came time to**** they wanted $500 ** ************************** *****). *********** ******************************* I ended up******* them $380 ****. A few weeks later I noticed that they had debited my credit card another $264.10. I was unaware that my wife had given them a credit card # and not sure why they would even need one ***************************** ************** *e did not sign or authorize any****ment via credit card. **************************************************************** ********************** *****************. **********************************************. They said that we signed an invoice allowing them to debit our account but would not provide a copy of it when asked.****************************************** ** ********************. We needed our furniture moved and they were the only companmy available. I walked around with the guy and informed him what had to be moved and what could stay. Four hours later after returning from work they had little or nothing done. Despite being told to move teh bed frames as they were, they took every screw out of the bed frames(approx 48 x 3 beds)by hand with a screw driver because they said it had to be wrapped in plastic (****). They arrived in a small truck that could fit very little but said they would get another bigger truck to complete the task. They never did. Instead they made several trips ** this small truck.
Product_Or_Service: Moving Company

I wan't the $264.10 back that was stolen from my credit card.

Hello, my name is Rick Watkins, owner of Gentleman ************ Comp. Inc.. On the day of this move which was booked by ****************************************************** ********* *********************************************************************************************** ******** ************************************************************************************ *********************************************************************** ******** *********** ****************, which in fact had already done one truck load and was on the second one half way through. We were told it was a small 2 bdrm house so we brought the appropriate size truck, which we usually get a small 3 bdrm bungalow in, a 17 foot truck with an attic/kick. We were shown a bunch of stuff to take and did what he had asked and when ********** returned he kept bringing out things which were hidden from the guys at the first walk through so it did go a little over the quoted price. A quote is just that, a quote and is in no way an absolute guarantee that this will be the final price. ************************************************* ********************************************************************************************* ****************************** he stayed until the end, took the offered money and left as soon as the job was over, because ********** refused to pay the bill in full and also refused to pay the taxes. ********** ********************************************************************** ************************************************. We did not deal with him any further as he did not book the job and was extremely offensive. Thank you for this opportunity to respond as it is Dec 3rd and I just received the complaint on Dec 2nd. Thank you - *********************** ************. .. p.s , I guarantee we do NOT wrap metal bed frames in plastic.

******************************************************************; *************************** *********************************************;(************************************************ **********************************************************************); ********************* ******************(*********************); (******************************$380), *************************************************************** ********************* telling them it was a 2 bedroom apart(It was a 4000 sq ft. chalet type home) ******************************************************************************************************************* *********************************************************************** ************? ***************)

****************************************************************************************************************** (********************************************************* ************); ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** *******. ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
***************************************************. I came home about three hours after the initial walk through and became very upset(and I believe rightfully so) because they had done literally nothing since I left. What I pointed out to them was all the stuff that they were supposed to have moved already and didn't. They had furniture and other articles all over the driveway while trying to figure out how to fit the larger items into the small truck that they had. When I arrived they were dismantling the same beds that I told them specifically NOT to dismantle (which by the way are now missing several parts as a result).

******************** *********** ********************************************************************************* "***********"***** ************************************************* *******. ************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************