BBB Accredited Business since 11/01/2006

AFM Mechanical Services Ltd.

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

10/02/2014Problems with Product / Service
03/15/2016Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Attached is a copy of my letter to AFM Plumbing & Heating and their invoice, ******************** ************************************************** ***************************************** ********* Recently they have been to my home four times for what might be considered intially very basic plumbing issues. I seriously question their integrity in suggesting every issue needed new parts or completely new faucets, which they offer to supply. As a senior on a limited income this is not an option for me.

Bernadette ******

The Manager,
AFM Plumbing & Heating
453 St. Jean Baptiste
Winnipeg, MB
R3T 2S8

When i called your office on the 27th January for three basic plumbing tasks i certainly did not expect the stress ans expense that resulted.

1. When Shaun arrived he replaced the showerhead in the shower in 3 minutes, great.
2. Kitchen Faucet:
Next the soap dispenser, he popped in the new one which i could do myself and was leaving it as it was, until i pointed out to him that it needed tightening, Then he tighten it. Next the kitchen faucet unit to stop the leak he had to replace parts the manufacturer had sent. He tried to undo the unit from the top with two wrenches and his body strength and said it was impossible and that i should get complete new unit. Here i will quote what he said-
"This Faucet Set is poor quality, probably only cost under $150.00 and you need to spend about $500.00 for a decent faucet", He offered to go and get one, which he estimated would take about 1 to 1.5 hours of his time.
Considering the faucet set is five years old and carried a warranty of "life time no drip performance", i chose to contact the manufacturer again, who said they could not supply any more parts, and that the two parts can easily come apart by undoing the unit from under the sink and soaking in vinegar and water.
When Shaun arrived the next time and i asked him to undo the unit from under the sink so that the two parts could be soaked and taken apart, and the new parts could be now installed. He repeated my request after me in shock, and did not do it until i pointed out to him that one way or another it needed to be undone from under the sink. My question is why he did not do that on the first visit instead of wasting time. When he was still unable to stop the leak with all the replacement parts, his response was, and i quote again "This is a poor design, and will always have a problem". He did put in a whole new faucet set and although he said it would take one hour, (which i told him i did not have that amount of time as i had a meeting) it was completed in 15 minutes.
When Shaun started on this slow draining sink, within one minute of touching the part it broke. He said it was because i used Drano (once) and it was corroded. Again more parts were needed, which he offered to get and quoted approximately $55.00. The next time he came i had already purchased the parts and he cleaned out the sludge and liquid and replaced the parts and said the job was done. I checked and could clearly see that there was no change; it was still not draining away. So he had to continue working on it. Right after he left i could see there was a drip from the spout. There had been no such problem before he came. I called the office again and Shaun arrived on the 5th February. I pointed out to him that there was never a drip from the faucet before. He made no attempt to solve the problem. Immediately he walked in he said that the cartridge needed to be replaced, and likely it was not available anymore, so likely i will need a new faucet set. He proceeded to make a call to see if replacements were available. I asked him how come the drip only started from his last visit two days ago, and how come he had not checked before he left, and he said that it was just a coincidence. I asked him to leave my house immediately, ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
-It appears the plumber was unable to repair anything; his response to each issue was to purchase parts or replace the whole unit.
-Is it at the home owner's expense when the plumber breaks a part and new ones are needed?
-Is it normal for the plumber to leave the basin of sludge and liquid on the floor for the homeowner to deal with?
-Is it normal for the plumber to leave his old rags also?
-The plumber appeared to be inexperienced with repairs; instead he blamed the manufacturer for the quality of the product and me as the home owner for using Drano. *******************************
-I do not feel that this invoice is justified, as time was wasted repeating work, which he did not seem very confident in doing, his complete focus was to replace parts.
-As a homeowner with an extensive network or colleagues, neighbours and friends these questions will be repeated over and over and i also intend to check with other professionals **************************************
-Meantime i am respectfully requesting that the invoice be reviewed as the manager himself could not witness the plumber's work in my home and errors that may possibly have been made because of the plumber's incompetence or inexperience. The manager had told me he (the manager) would come and check what was happening, but he never did show up. In fact when i called once and he said he would call back, he never did, and the next day he said he had forgotten. I see from the reviews of the company on line, that this is not unusual either.
-I had an opportunity during the last couple of days to share my experience at some gatherings and people are shocked at the total amount of my expenses:
Replacement Soap Dispenser (which cannot be used now) 33.55
Replacement Kitchen Faucet Unit 134.47
Replacement mechanical Unit for Bathroom sink 27.11
Plumber's bill 541.84
TOTAL $736.97
After all that i still tap in the bathroom that did not exist before the plumber came to my home. I wish to add that i am a senior in a single person household; the faucets and plumbing are not over used, abused or misused. The manager chose to comment that the house is older, however it is maintained and upgraded regularly, so this is an unacceptable excuse.

Bernadette *******

There were several items to this job in which the client wanted our tech to re-use fixtures and drain parts that were just worn out. He had suggested replacement because it would take less time. The client wanted him to re-use the old parts. When some of these parts literally fell apart in his hands, that was when the client agreed to go with replacement.
we followed directions from the patron and advised against the direction she wanted us to go with these repairs.
It is unfortunate that these misunderstandings have come to this point. We have been serving Winnipeg and the surrounding area for over 21 years. Our technician has been with us for 10 years already. Our technicians have extensive experience in the residential and commercial fields of plumbing and heating. Our main focus is Repairs. As we are all well aware in this disposable era; it is often more economical to replace than to repair. In certain instances, as it was in this one, as our technician explained; the time to repair would be more costly then to replace. The client had parts and was hoping we could replace them. Although the manufacturer of the fixture offers a warranty, it is for a limited amount of parts and not on the labour to repair.
the faucet in question was made of white metal and had extensive corrosion built up at the threaded connections. The client wanted us to go ahead to take the fixture apart and replace the parts after she had the faucet sitting in vinegar. She had purchased another faucet which we ended up installing after the original faucet leaked after having taking it apart, replaced the cartridges and mounted it back on the sink.
All this takes time. All we did was what the client wanted us to do.
The drain on her lavatory sink was slow. The drain assembly and mechanical PO was rotten and fell apart while proceeding with the drain clearing. We rebuilt it.
We tested the drain and the water was draining away with no leaks under the sink.
The client called a few days later saying the taps on her lavatory were dripping suggesting that we had caused this somehow. We explained to her all that we had touched on her lavatory was the drain because that was what she asked us to look at.
She mentions our technician saying the kitchen faucet was not a very good one. Everyone has a right to an opinion. He has worked on and installed all types of faucets from all kinds of brand names. We are sorry the client was offended by his opinion but it doesn't take away from the fact he has extensive knowledge in this field.

It is totally untrue that the plumber was asked to "reuse fixtures and drain parts that were just worn out". I had gone to the trouble of getting replacement parts for each of jobs that needed to be done, so that statement makes no sense whatsoever. I stand by every word of my original complaint. It certainly seemed to me that this company was more interested in selling me expensive replacement parts than in doing any repairs. I did ask him to repair, but when he was unable to do so for whatever reason, he did replace with parts I provided (except for one item which he had in his truck).
I still have a dripping bathroom sink tap, that for some very strange reason (which he said was a coincidence)only started to drip for the first time ever immediately after the plumber was here. Yes he did touch this tap, he had to run it many times until the sink was draining properly. Then by only looking at it and not touching it he stated that the faucet needed to be replaced. I feel strongly that this company was not acting in the customer best interest, the plumber used many negative comments regarding the age of the house, the quality of the existing faucet, the "old" fixtures, despite the fact that the house has been renovated and well maintained regularly. I would definitely not recommend this company.

We received your letter regarding our plumbing services. We apologize for the misunderstandings and we can understand the frustrations on your part.. We have had discussions with our staff about your situation in order for all of the members of the AFM Plumbing & Heating team perform with the utmost respect for our clients, we have learned important customer relations from this situation. Your comments will better our services. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we caused you.

06/02/2014Problems with Product / Service

Plumbers, Furnace Cleaning, Furnace Sales & Service, Knob & Tube Removal, Boilers - Sales & Service, Boilers - Supplies & Parts, Boilers - New & Used, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Plumbing - Renovation & Repair, Plumbers - Commercial, Heating Contractors, Boilers - Repair & Cleaning