BBB Accredited Business since 05/15/2013

Five Star Lawn Care

07/02/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I paid for a service I did not at first receive and when I did receive the serviceI paid for, the company damaged my property and poor quality of work
I requested and paid for a spring cleanup and aeration. I was not home when the crew completed their work but when I did return I noticed dirt left on the sidewalks, deep footprints in my flower bed and aeration completed only to most of the boulevard but not the yard. I contacted ****** the owner of five star lawns to ask for an explanation as to why i did not receive the service i paid for. ****** seemed like he did not believe me and i was hoping he would come out for an inspection which he did not. I phoned several times to get the service I paid for and finally, while I was at work, the job was completed. However it was unsatisfactory, parts of the lawn were mangled, dirt was left behind on the sidewalks, lawn edging was punctured, and my virginia creeper was damaged. I contacted ****** and expressed my displeasure and remedy. ****** finally came out, while I was at work, to inspect and admitted to the damage. I was seeking a refund and damages to my property which he did not agree to. I have recieved no compensation today.

Refund of original payment of $145.95 plus cost of damages to the lawn edging and virginia creeper of 60.00 totalling $205.95.

I did receive a call from Mr ********** later after my guys did a spring clean up and aeration on his property and he thought that the aeration didn't look done, I asked some questions simply to find out if it was in fact not done because some people do not know these things. I asked these questions not because I did not believe Mr ********** but so I could confirm. I was going to send a team out just as soon as we were back in his area to get it completed, for whatever reasons my staff made a mistake and did not complete the aeration at the job initially. It took a little longer than I liked due to weather and other variables to get back into his area but did contact him a couple of times to assure him that we haven't forgot him and we would be back out to correct things. We did come back out and aerate the property and complete the job. When you aerate it does bring up cores of earth and it can cause a little bit of a mess that cannot be helped, our staff have blowers to blow debris off after a job but when these cores are stepped on or possibly the wheels of the aerator smush them on the concrete it can leave a bit of a mess that a garden hose or rain will wash off.
Mr ********** had called back that day after we completed the aeration and did say initially that it was aerated good but there were some areas where the aerator lifted a bit of grass and they left a bit of a mess on the sidewalk and that a footprint stepped in his flower bed and plant. I offered to come out there and sweep off the mud but he said he did it. He then said he wanted a refund because his experience with us was not a "positive" one. I apologized that things did not go smoothly and that this is not a common occurrence but that the job he did pay for was completed. He still insisted for a refund because it "wasn't a positive experience" and again I expressed that the job was completed and again apologized it did't go smoothly at the initial visit but that was no reason for a refund.
Mr ********** called back again the next day and that he now noticed a piece of lawn edging was nicked and a piece of bark from his Juniper tree was also nicked. At that point I came out to his property to inspect the job and alleged damages. When I got there the next day I first inspected the front lawn and took pictures of it and was very pleased with the quality of job my guys did, then looked at the front flower beds and could not see any damages or foot prints in it. I then went to the back of the property and inspected that lawn and again was pleased with the over all job that was done. I then went to the area he described where the damages were and noticed there was a inch and a half piece of bark taken off of his Juniper and also the lawn edging he said that was damaged was also nicked, and it did look like it was done by the aerator. The operator did go a little too close to the deck I admit and did talk to him about it.
I called Mr ********** and told him that in my conclusion my guy did get closer than he should have and immediately offered to come there myself to put some tree bark paste to cover the area on the Juniper and that I myself again would come out and replace and install the nicked piece of lawn edging which I am more than capable of doing to resolve the matter. He refused my offer and said he still wanted a refund. I again told him that the lawn service we provided was done very well and nothing was wrong with it at all, and again apologized for the damages and that I would fix and replace both. We've had incidents before and I've addressed them all and fixed them with the cooperation of the home owners and all were pleased but Mr. ********** is not willing to cooperate and being completely unreasonable. If he will let me fix the minimal damages my guys did which is the issue here, then we can move on and put this behind us. That is the only resolution I am prepared to give and it addresses and resolves this whole complaint. The damages.

I have stated my case which the owner of Five Star Lawns, ****** *****, does not take seriously. ***** ***** cancelled several face to face meetings to resolve this issue, which is poor customer service, poor quality of work, not receiving receiving what I paid for, and damage to my property...and I still have not met ****** *****....too many bad experiences occurred on this job to just forget about it...that is why I have requested a refund.

As I explained in my initial response

08/09/2013Problems with Product / Service

Lawn Maintenance & Snow Removal, Lawn Installation Service, Snow Removal Service, Lawn Maintenance, Landscape Contractors