BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/1993

Power Vac Services Ltd.

03/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Incompetent day-contract-hire caused service experience to be subpar overall.
Today (2015/02/25) I had the powervac furnace cleaning service at *** ********* ******* Service team consisted of two guys, team leader that is tall and lean (A) and a team member that is short and stout (B)

A, the leader, was professional throughout the entire service. This complaint is mainly about B, the helper.

1, When I asked B if I should turn the furnace off, he said, yes. so I turned it off. then when I confirmed with the A a few minutes later, he said you should leave it on, so I turned it back on.

2, When I asked B if I should take out the air filter, he said, yes. so I did. then when I confirmed with the A a few minutes later, he said you should definitely keep it in, so I put it back in.

3, When I smelled gas in the furnace room, B was sent by A to take a look with me and maybe turn off the gas-powered water tank. when we were down there in the furnace room, we couldn't quite see the switch of the water tank, due to light condition. But a strong sulfur stench implied that there was definitely some leak (due to the air sucking power of the tubes connected to the furnace). B took out his lighter and wanted to use it as a light source right next to the gas water tank. My heart stopped, I yelled out NO and I was furious. Even though afterwards A assured me that it probably wouldn't have caused an explosion. At the time, it still freaked me out as the last thing I wanted to do is to have live flame when there is such a strong gas smell in the air.

4, B's responsibility was to put the "cold" vents back on when A finished cleaning them. Most of them weren't put back on properly, A had to redo them which slowed down the entire service process. I had to redo one myself after they left.

5, B was also ordered to patch the furnace and put the furnace cover back on, he failed to do both after struggling. A had to do those tasks himself which caused additional delay.

6, B was also ordered to put the vent covers back on for the basement ceiling vents, those tasks were not completed, period.

I learnt from A that, B is NOT a permanent powervac employee and is a day-contract-hire.

I will probably get service from powervac again, but next time, I will make sure that I call one day before the service to make sure that the team they send in has permanent powervac employees only.

$49.51 Refund

We would like to thank the customer for bringing this to our attention.
We will be sending an apology letter and a cheque for $50.00 to the customer as requested.

The situation was professionally and responsibly handled, will definitely get service from them again.

10/31/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues

Furnace & Duct Cleaning, Mold & Mildew Inspection/Removal/Remediation, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Duct Cleaning, Asbestos Removal Service, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems