BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/2010

The Medical Institute of Kentucky

03/08/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This business did not follow through with the stated agreements that I was told so in the beginning of the program
Class Started June 15. Ended sept 28
All information needed for externship was provided when requested (first week in September)
Extern start date - November 9.. end date- jan4

COMPLAINT SUMMARY
Class never started on time (supposed to start at 8, instructor was on phone or late so class didn't start until 8:30)
Instructor ******* ****** talked about personal life to class (wasted class time to had conversations with students about male problems and dating life)
Failed to help answer questions, failed to teach all ways to do things (instead of teaching butterfly needle only taught standard way ONE time which resulted in a hematoma in myself)
I was only male in class so was accused of sexual harassment by Brandi Estes and was backed up by admissions because they're sisters. Never provided proof of sexual harassment, never filed complaints or took to police, director (**** ****** was informed and provided me with a paper to sign stating I made the references and that if I did not sign it and comply with what they wanted I would be expelled that day
Admissions director (**** ***) and ****** are sisters so attacked me with the sexual harassment charges but when asked to see the messages "I sent" they couldn't provide them
Woman doing cpr class was frazzled and didn't know how to run computer or get things set up so class started an hour later than it should have. Paused class several times to go take a smoke break. Failed everyone in class on cpr exam that she never gave, but we all still got certified.
After presented with a form to sign about the sexual harassment references I was provided no help in class when asked, my externship was put on hold without my knowledge which ended up with me not able to finish the required hours and TMIKY not helping find another office to be put into
The medical office I was interning in sent an e mail to school instructor stating that I would need to be put in another office and instructor failed to let me know I no longer had internship or made an effort to find me a new one so I showed up on Jan 4 at 8am only to find I was no longer interning there
Went to TMIKY to seek help after finding out I no longer had a position and was told by **** that they don't handle externship sites.
Several times when speaking to the **** in private he raised his voice and made me feel very uncomfortable.
When I would need to ask **** questions he wouldn't be there or would send me to ask the ****** who also did not know
One woman in administrations was very helpful but did not work there the whole time I was going. Once she left everything spiraled downward and is why I am now in the unfortunate situation that I am in now.

I am seeking a full refund from this program seeing how I wasn't able to finish my intern hours due to their actions or a certificate allowing me to work in the medical field as I planned to do so before this issue started

Respondent has a strict policy with regard to tardy or absent instructors. All such occurrences are documented. Claimant's instructor had not been tardy since April, 2015, two months before she was his instructor. The exit interviews from the students in Claimant's class also confirm that there were no issues with the instructor's attendance or professionalism.

The Claimant's conduct in class was less than professional and was noted by other classmates in exit interviews. They noted that the Claimant was used vulgarities, was distracting and disrespectful to the instructor and women in general. He also made comments about using marijuana which the students also found unprofessional.

The Claimant was counseled in September, 2015 for his conduct in class which was in violation of the Misconduct Policy executed by Claimant. This included rude and disrespectful comments to his instructor about her body and behavior that would constitute sexual harassment. Claimant was never threatened or coerced into signing this counseling form, but Respondent did discuss that expulsion was a possibility based upon his conduct. Respondent gave Claimant another opportunity to correct his behavior and complete the class.

Claimant was an average to below average student and had attendance issues. When he sought an externship, Respondent reminded him that attendance is an important aspect and is failure to attend could result in termination from the externship. He understood, but failed to adhere to the attendance requirements and was terminated for poor attendance. This termination made him ineligible for placement in another externship at another of Respondent's sites and that he would be required to find an externship on his own. These are all policies that are applied to each of Respondent's students. Claimant was held to the standards of all of Respondent's students.

The CPR training referred to by Claimant was not part of the curriculum, but instead was offered through a third party service using our site. We have received no other complaints about this CPR training.

We have confirmed that the instructor presented the required information in the appropriate manner including demonstrating all methods of venipuncture.

Respondent always answered any of Claimant's questions and otherwise responded to him throughout the course of he tenure.

Respondent has documentation related to this Response and would be happy to provide it at any time.

05/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Incomplete training and requirement of materials that were not used.
Three of the classes were cancelled due to instructor being absent, they were not made up at a later date which conflicted with the requirements of NHA to become certified. When the instructor was asked about make up days she avoided the question. We were required to have a binder (cost of $10), a lab coat (cost $50), a watch with a second hand ($30), and a name badge ($7, never received and when asked about a refund was told I would get it later but I never did) - None of these items were ever used. We were never taught how to perform venipuncture using a butterfly and the instructor stated she hated using them. I feel that was a big issue because most of the jobs I am finding require the use of butterflies (the elderly). We were given homework each night but it was never checked, yet I received 100% for it. I was given a study guide to prepare for the NHA exam and there were things on there that were never discussed in class and was not in the books. I had to google the answers. I commented to the instructor when she gave me the study guide that some of the items were never discussed in class and she commented "thats why I'm giving you the study guide". A resume was required and I turned one in but never got any feedback on it. It would have been nice to know if I could somehow improve it. Class time was spent in the lab with the instructor at her desk on Facebook (I went to her desk several times to ask questions and saw Facebook on her computer). I certainly don't feel like I got my moneys worth and do not feel prepared to start performing venipunctures or EKG's. I am continuing my education on my own from home to ensure that I can give quality care to any patients I may encounter.

This school is not run professionally or adequately. There are up to 98,000 unnecessary medical deaths in the US each year. I think a lot of this stems from poor education and instruction. I want to see this school run better and produce qualified professionals who are prepared to work in the medical field. I am asking for a full refund because I am basically self-taught. Most of my grades came from learning on my own through google and various medical web sites and friends already in the medical field.

The complainant filed this complaint on 4/2/14, she came in to the school on 4/3/14 for an exit interview and voiced her complaints to us for the first time. She was immediately introduced to the new instructor and scheduled additional skills lab time to practice on the skills she felt uncomfortable with. She came in on 4/8/14 with a family member to practice skills. She also spoke with the supervisor with a desire to take additional courses our school offers if she can get the financial end of it worked out. We feel this issue has already been resolved she just entered the complaint prematurely.

This issue has not been resolved. I debated on taking another class because there was a new instructor and after working with her on a skill I felt she was more qualified than the old instructor. This does not resolve my original complaint. I still feel I did not get what I paid for and had to find answers for the class on my own while the instructor played on Facebook. I had to come back to practice some skills with the new instructor because I did not receive any help during the time I was in class. That doesn't make up for all the lack of help, unprofessionalism, and money spent on items that said they were required but never used. My money was not well spent and I feel cheated.

TMIKY has offered an audit, the graduate has refused the offer. TMIKY stands by it's final response on 4/21/2014.

I should not have to drive all over town returning items that were "required" of me but were never used. This school placed requirements on me that I upheld but they didn't hold up their end of the deal. I am still out money and now time in order to go back to get the education that should have been delivered the first time. Not acceptable of a "reputable" company.

Schools - Business & Vocational