BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/2006

AAA Heating & Air Conditioning Service, Inc.

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

01/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Heat Pump Unit is either defected or the workmanship on installing the unit and previous repairs made were not done correctly.
In May 2011 I purchased a Heat pump unit from AAA Heating and Air Conditioner company. My unit was no longer working and I was told by the company's owner son that it was not repairable and needed to be replaced. I asked for a quote and he made a call on his cell phone to his father. I overheard him say "Oh Dad, I can't believe you're selling at such a low price." I knew he was using a sales tactic to get me to buy it but since I needed a new unit and was told it had a 10 year guarantee I went ahead and purchased it. I paid $3,100.00 for it.

In December 2011 the unit quit working, I called the company and the owner's son showed up again. He looked at the unit, said it had a leak and then he blamed the neighborhood kids for breaking it. I told him that was unlikely because the neighborhood kids were grade school age, they wouldn't know how to disassemble it and they have never been in my back yard. He went on to repair it and charged me $89.00 for the service call. As he was leaving, I asked him "Are you still blaming the neighborhood kids for tampering with it?" He replied "No, it wasn't tampered with." He never came back to check and ensure that the unit was no longer leaking.

In May 2014 the unit quit working again because the Freon had leaked out. I called AAA Heating and explained the situation, they sent their repair men. Upon their arrival I showed them the unit and went back in the house. The men never gave me an estimate on how much it would cost nor did they have my consent to make repairs. A while later one of the men came in my house with a bill for $558.50. I became upset and told him I'm not paying for that. I have a 10 year guarantee and the unit was repaired for leaking just a little over a year ago. Why is it leaking again? All he said was "Yeah, it's leaking".
Then he left when I refuse to sign his invoice and pay him. After his departure, I immediately called AAA Heating and told the clerk that the repair man was trying to charge me for the repair. I shouldn't be charged for this because I have a 10 year guarantee and the owner's son just repaired the unit for leaking a little over a year ago. She replied "Oh, he's new and didn't understand. I then asked her "Is this unit defected? Why does it leak every year? It shouldn't leak in the first place and yet it's leaked twice since I purchased it." She said that she couldn't answer that but she will have someone call me back and answer my question. No one ever called back.

A couple months later I received a bill from them for those repairs. I called their office and spoke with a woman and relayed the whole situation to her. I asked her why am I receiving this bill? She replied that she was not the person who handles that and the woman who does is out that week. When she returns she will give her my information so she can research it and call me back next week. No one ever called me back to discuss this instead they sent me another bill which I ignored because I'm still waiting for someone to call me back.

I received a third bill from them and called their office and ask to speak to the owner. I was told he wasn't in. The clerk took my name and number and said she will have him call me when he returns to the office. He never called me instead a woman called me I asked her to send me the original invoice on the repairs. She asked me "Did I not get the bill?" I replied "Yes, however, it doesn't show the work that was done. Only the amount of the bill." She then said "This bill is old." I told her "I know." She then told me that she would send the invoice in the mail today. When I received the invoice it stated that the unit had a leaked, they tightened valves, no caps on valves and added Freon. It also stated they will be back to put caps on. No one ever came back and installed the caps.

I am requesting that the company eliminated all charges and install the caps that are missing. Also they need to check the unit and ensure that it is no longer leaking since it leaked twice since I purchased the unit. I feel that the owner needs to take responsibility for his employees workmanship because I believe that the owner's son did a poor job in installing the unit back in May 2011 which is why it leaked in December 2011 and he did not repair the leak correctly since it continued to leak and I had to have it repaired again in May of this year. He also failed to install caps during the initial installation and when he repaired the unit in December. The other repair person also failed to install the caps.

In the event the owner's son did install the unit properly and repaired it correctly in December then this would mean that the unit is in fact defected since it should not be leaking all the time and AAA Heating should remove this unit and install a brand new one that doesn't have leaking problems.

Please be advised that we spoke to Ms. ************* on January 6,2015 and she has agreed to let us come back to her home to check the Freon level and the unit to make sure the unit is working properly. Also we have agreed to void her previous invoice for $ 592.65. The customer is happy with the results of our conversation.

*************.

05/15/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Been without climate control for 14 days.
AAA installed our HVAC in 2009. It is still under warranty. It is not working properly. They came out and replaced a part (and charged us $650, while also forgetting to let us know they had attempted to fix). HVAC still is not working, and they have not come out again to replace the part. When you call the company, they say they will call back, but they don't. We have been without climate control for 14 days and have 2 small children! Unacceptable!

I would like the HVAC fixed TODAY. 13 days ago would have been nice. This is getting out of control. Their customer service is AWFUL. When my husband calls, they say it will be ANOTHER 7-10 days on the part....that would mean no climate control for 24 days? Seriously? When I ask why they cannot have the part over-nighted, I get no response from the dispatcher, and no one calls back. I left a message for the owner on 4/15 and 4/16 and he has yet to return my calls.

In regards to this complaint about the length of time to do the repair, we have no control for non-stock items from the manufacture and we check on the status daily until the part comes in.

We have no record of charging $650.00 for any repair for this customer.

The part came in and the repair was made as requested within a day of this complaint and the communication was being made the whole time through the husband.

We have done what we needed to do and the unit is working properly and hope the customer is satisfied and consider this closed.

I have a copy of the bill where we were charged $650 for the repair. Once again, this company cannot be honest.

We are a very honest company that has been in business for 53 years and wants our customers to be satisfied. We would like a copy of the bill this customer is speaking of and proof of payment as we are not able to find any such charge for this repair.

05/07/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc. charged in excess of $2,000. Above standard retail price and refused to provide a price list for all material and labor cost. The purchase of a York Model YHJR (2.5 Tons) Heat Pump charges totaled $6,200 when standard retail price rate for the same unit elsewhere averages much less, in comparison.
During the initial service call to AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc., their company sent a representative by the name of ****. We arranged to meet at my home on January 14, 2015 for him to assess the problem and provide a quote for the repairs. The unit had stopped working properly and **** said he could either repair the existing unit, but it may only last a year or so, or he could replace the entire unit.
When asked to provide the cost of materials and labor, **** refused. He said he couldn't do it! He then sends me a service order invoice for $6,200, which I received on Tuesday, January 20, 2015.1 do believe, **** and AAA Heating & Air Conditioning Services, Inc. overcharged me for the heat pump they installed in my home and withheld the actual cost for services. The heat pump 13-14 SEER/7-8 HSPF generally prices at retail for $4,800 - $5,200 dollars for full installation and materials. According to general price standards, the unit installed is normally priced below median cost. In comparison, the cost range of a York 19+SEER/10+ HSFP with installation is retailed for only $ 7910.00 and this is a more energy efficient unit.
According to the Price Guide Comparing Prices and Installation for Heat Pumps, heat pump systems, just like central air conditioners and other major home appliances, come in several different efficiency ratings which are measure in SEER for cooling, and HSPF for heating your home. Standard efficiency heat pumps cost much less than the price of high efficiency heat pump systems for your home. In this next price table, we want to share the effect of efficiency on heat pump prices.
The following websites will provide proof for my argument that AAA Heating & Air Conditioning Services, Inc. took advantage of their pricing and overcharged me for the heat pump they installed at my home and refused to provide adequate disclosure of price to their customer.
www.webhvac.com
www.heatpumppriceguides.com
www.home.costhelper.com

I request this matter to be thoroughly investigated by whatever means necessary to resolve this complaint and restitution brought forwards with full disclosure of price including materials and labor for the services rendered along with a deduction in charges assessed on the charges presented on my invoice.

We are sorry Mr. ****** ****** feels the way he does. We at AAA Heating & Air Conditioning Service Inc. are in the service business and received a call from Mr. ****** that he had no heat and found that his unit needed replacing. We have pricing set up for our service technicians as a complete job price. For example a 2.5 Ton standard heat pump with indoor and outdoor units or a matched pair with everything needed to completely install and to have heat as soon as possible. We explained this to Mr. ****** and his options, he agreed to the terms and signed a contract so we scheduled the job to be done the very next morning. Any shopping for better pricing should have been done at that time not two weeks later after the job has been put in and completed. The job terms was to be paid on completion of the job. We provided a service at that time and that does have value. I personally have never bought anything that I could have found less expensive after the fact. Our pricing is based on servicing our customers and keeping our doors open for business. We have been in business for 53 years operating this way. I would like to talk to Mr. ****** to try and settle.

I never did I tell AAA Heating I was with out heat.My heat pump was frozen up. I still had heat.I have NEVER been without at my home.
The pricing for the unit I received is that of a more expensive unit. The unit they put in was the lowest unit made by York. The KU company will not even give a rebate on any unit less than 14 SEER. There unit was a 13 SEER.
I feel I have been fleeced and missed led.I love love to talk and this this matter settled.

We contacted the customer to come to an agreement and even though we could not agree to some things he did agree verbally to pay $4800.00 over the phone for the job we did for him and he has been using it since January 14,2015.

As far as the SEER rating not meeting standards per DOE, all companies that still have 13 SEER equipment are allowed to sell it until out of stock. We are fully aware of these requirements and will continue to sell 13 SEER equipment until gone.

If we misunderstood him on his offer as discussed then what would his offer be? We have not received any payment as of today.

To BBB Complaint Investigator:

Complainant ****** ****** Response to Business AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Service, Inc.
4/29/2015 Response:

Please be advised that the business response is not satisfactory. However, I agree to pay AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc. $4800 for the equipment installed in my home on January 15, 2015. My decision should in no way be construed to mean that AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc. fulfilled its service obligation to provide me with compliant equipment at a standard retail price. In fact, their initial charge of $6200 was reduced to $4800 only after I filed this complaint. I am firmly convinced that AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc., directly and via its representatives, knowingly and willingly sort to take advantage of me as a senior citizen by:
a. refusing my initial request to provide me with information about costs of materials and labor and
b. actions reflecting a belief that I would not follow-up by inspecting the equipment installed, and investigate price and mandated requirement standards.

The reason for my decision is to alleviate the stress caused me by the pending complaint and its possible negative effects on my overall health. Further, the company's actions to date lead me to believe that the endurance of this condition will extend over an inordinate period.
I have not made any payment to AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc. to date, simply due to:
a. the pending BBB complaint, and
b. the lack of any action by them to mitigate the harmful effects of installing equipment in my home that did not comply with the efficiency standards mandated by the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE) at the time of installation.

I believe the actions of AAA heating and Air Conditioning Services, Inc. are illegal and unethical. The impact of the installation of equipment incompliant with current mandated standard subjects me imminently to the likely need to incur significant additional cost to upgrade the system to be compliant with current efficiency standards.

I thoroughly reviewed the rules governing the DOE efficiency standards. Nowhere did I see any reference to the fact that companies that still have 13 SEER equipment on hand would be allowed to sell and install the outdated equipment until out of stock. Further, such actions would in effect serve to undermine the intent and effective date of the new standards.

With my payment of $4800 to AAA Heating and Air Conditioning Services, I will consider my BBB complaint closed but not resolved. I do not consider that the fair resolution of this matter was achieved due to the fact the company installation of the heat pump equipment did not comply with current DOE standards as I had the lawful and reasonable right to expect.

****** ******

04/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Warrantee work resulted in a charge of more than $1100, no estimate provided, and 11 week delay.
In January 2012, AAA Heating installed a new heat pump system in our rental house. In December 2013, we were contacted by our tenants because it was 53 degrees in the house indicating that something was wrong with the heat pump system. I contacted AAA Heating the following day to request that they look at the system for repair. Several days later I was contacted by our tenants again stating that they had not heard from AAA Heating. I contacted AAA Heating a second time and they said they did not send someone out to look at it because it was too cold outside to test the system at that time. At this time, I had considered contacting another repair facility due to their lack of response, but ruled against it because the system was installed by AAA Heating less than 2 years prior and felt that the issues were related to faulty equipment.

It took several weeks and multiple calls for AAA Heating to finally respond to the service call because they claimed that outside temperatures were too cold to test the system. They had failed to contact our tenants about the issue at all until 1 hour prior to their arrival to evaluate the problem. This was of great inconvenience to our tenants because they had to request time off from work to be available. After the evaluation, it took several weeks and several more phone calls to discover that the parts for repair were delayed due to them being on order. We also called twice during this time to request an estimate of the cost of repairs which was never provided. Once the parts arrived and were finally installed, again after a very short notice to our tenants that they were coming, AAA Heating discovered that this part did not fix the issue. They left the premises without full explanation to our tenants and the tenants did not know if and when AAA Heating would return to fix the issue. After we called to inquire about the delay, we were informed that more parts needed to be ordered. After a total of 11 weeks for the system to finally be repaired, we received a bill in the mail for almost $1200 even though the parts were still under warrantee. My husband called AAA Heating to complain about the bill, especially since we were never provided with an estimate for the repairs and they agreed to reduce the bill to $625. We still do not feel this is a fair charge for repairs caused by a faulty system.

We would like it noted that AAA Heating was very unprofessional in dealing with this matter. There was no communication with the tenants and ourselves to keep us informed of the status and costs of the repairs. It does not make sense to say that it is "too cold" to fix a heating system considering that heat is an essential need during such frigid temperatures, and waiting 11 weeks for repairs is being unreasonable. Once when we called on the weekend to inquire about the status, they were unwilling to provide us with information without charging us for an emergency repair charge because it was not their business hours. Luckily our tenants were understanding about why we did not contact another repair place, but this caused them great inconvenience and high electricity bills due to running their system on emergency heat for 3 months. As a result, we felt that our tenants needed to be compensated for their increased costs so we reduced their rent in the month of April by $500 to compensate for increased heating bills the prior 3 months.

In order to resolve this issue, we would like for all charges to be eliminated from our bill, compensation for the $500 increased costs to us in relation to our tenant's electricity bills, and for these issues to be made available to the public.

In response to the customers complaint, first of all we had a record setting winter with many below zero days at a time and like most comapny's we were extremely busy with customers that did not have any heat at all. People with heat pumps do have back up or emergency heat which is nothing more than an electric furnace but they do have heat. With having over 170 service calls one day during that time this is why we tell customers to turn on the back up heat until the weather breaks. Also the fact that we had to order the parts that were needed and it took time to get them in and dealing with the weather so they could be properly installed and checked correctly. We are sorry for any delays but it was out of our control during this extreme weather. Everbody had record setting electric bills because heat pumps put out very little heat and depend on the back up heat or emergency heat to help out until warmer weather. As far as the bill, the parts were under warranty but labor and refrigerant was not and this bill is very normal but after the customer called we decided to adjust the bill due to the unit not being very old and the time it took to do the repair, we were trying to help the customer as much as possible and that's why we were shocked to get this complaint instead of them calling us back first to discuss. We will be glad to work with the customer within means and would really like to speak with them again about this so we can work something out with them.

We would like a chance to speak with the customer if possible.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Air Duct Systems, Air Duct Cleaning, Duct Cleaning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems