BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/2012

Bank of Hindman, Inc.

04/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company is violating privacy by contacting someone other than the account owner and discussing account details with others.
In January 2011 I opened a checking account with this company. I expressed that I wanted my father to be able to write checks from my account, but nothing else. In Dec. 2013 I fell upon financial difficulties and some checks were returned, incurring fees, which I understand. The checks were represented several times without my authorization, incurring approximately $600 in fees. I contacted the bank and asked for assistance, or possibly a waiver of fees, which was declined. I understand this is of course at their discretion, though they have done this for many other customers. However, they then sent a letter, not to my (account owner) address, but to my father, notifying that the account was closed in charge off status. In a hand written note at the bottom of the letter was written "This will hurt both of your credit with us". The day following the letter, they contacted my father, age 70 in failing health and demand he pay the amount, though he is not the account owner. They told him he had one day to come in and pay the full amount, even though it is not his debt. I feel it was unethical for them to contact him first of all due to me being the account owner. I also feel it was unethical for them to speak to him in a threatening and intimidating manner.

I wish for the company to apologize to my father for involving him and concerning him in this matter and I feel as though I should receive a written apology for my privacy being violated.

The account in question was a joint account with the father as a co-owner. As co-owner of the account he was entitled to received notifications and information on the account. It is our bank's policy to not allow restricted authorized signors on personal accounts. The representment of checks that we have returned cannot be control by the bank. The bank did refund $200 of fees and credited this amount back to the customers' account. We regret that our actions have been viewed as inappropriate by our customer but we have not violated any privacy rules and do not believe that the customer was treated unfairly.

Banks