BBB Accredited Business since 11/16/1993

Adams Buick-GMC Truck, Inc.

05/21/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

The customer went to this business for car repairs. The customer was there about 1.5 hours. Once the business told the customer the vehicle was ready, the customer was charged for 3 hours of labor. Again, the customer was only there for 1.5 hours. When the customer asked about the charge, the business said we have a guide and that is what it says to charge for this job. Also the customer was charged $28 for shop supplies. When asked about that, the business did not explain. The customer has shopped other places after this charge and other dealerships were charging less. The customer was offered $35 dollars back, but the customer refused. The customer feels unjust for being charged for labor that was not done.

The customer feels the refund of the difference in labor not used is justified.

In response to the customer's concern, I would like to point out that no repairs performed were done without prior authorization from the customer. The customer was told up front what the cost of the repair would be, and the customer agreed to the cost. The customer did call me back a few days later and expressed concern that he had paid too much for the repair, and felt that we had charged him more than what was fair. I tried to explain to the customer that we use a labor guide to price out jobs because it was the best way to stay consistent with pricing. I also tried to explain to him that these labor guides were produced to protect him from being charged more because both a technician was not properly trained, or just slow, and it took longer than what would normally be acceptable. At the same time, I explained to him that it also encouraged technicians to work expertly and efficiently by giving them a time limit in which to complete repairs. Basically, it is how technicians make a living, by getting good at what they do.

Now, is this a perfect system? Probably not, but it is the standard for dealer, as well as, independent repair shops all across the country. Would the customer have rather me dispatched his vehicle to a lesser trained technician, who would have taken all of the allotted time (or more) and may not have even repaired his vehicle correctly the first time? I wouldn't think so.

As far as a shop supplies charge, again, that is something that most all dealers and independents put into their charges. I don't remember the customer asking me about those charges, but honestly I may just not remember. But those charges go to pay for general shop costs like oil and waste disposal, shop rags and fender cover rental, miscellaneous fluids and cleaners.
I did call a Chevrolet dealer and priced the same job with them, and they were approximately $35 less expensive. I did offer to refund that amount to the customer, but he refused. I believe that for the repairs made, it was fair for us to charge what we did. I don't advertise the least expensive pricing in Richmond, and there are lots of places in this town where the customer could have had the repairs performed cheaper, but would have the repairs been performed by a General Motors trained technician, and would it have been repaired correctly the first time? In this customer's case, the answer to both those questions is...YES.

Yes, I told service tech to fix my truck, but I was told that the repair would take quote: awhile I should take loaner car and get breakfast and kill some time. I was led to think the problem that had already been diagnosed by my tech, but this part had to be programmed at a dealer. 2. I called back the same day, but was told *** was on vacation. Then I called back 2 days later and talked to him. 3. *** stated that labor guide was to protect the consumer. Any time you are charging 95.00/hr for labor I want to pay for amount of time they worked on my truck I was at dealer for 1 1/2 hours. Not 3 hours. Also once I told tech to fix my truck it was additional 30 mins I was told your done. Another question I have for *** if this job had taken 4 1/2 hours would the 1 1/2 over be free? After all this is to protect the consumer and be fair. 4. *** also stated this question, "Is the system perfect?" " Probably not." Brother that's a fact. 5. *** stated this is standard practice for dealerships. Question - Why was ************** in Campton Est. 307.00 Also **** ******* ********* 373.00 Why did they have a est of 507.00 as ***** Buick GMC. 6. Also *** talked about lesser trained tech. Question: What jobs do these lesser trained techs do? Also who gives these techs their job assignments? 7. *** couldn't remember my question about shop supplies. Yes I did ask him. My repair was made underneath my truck. Fender covers. Oil and waste disposal I think not. 8. *** also stated that there were a lot of places in town to repairs. The he ask a question (would the repairs been performed by a GM trained tech?) I think I can honestly say that **** ******* ********* has GM trained tech in his shop. I try to live my life doing unto others as I would have them do unto me. Something that ***** taught me in his word. Thank for the opportunity to my case with the BBB. I'm not happy with Adams Buick GMC's labor practices.

Auto Dealers - New & Used, Auto Dealers - Used Cars, Auto Dealers - New Cars