BBB Accredited Business since 10/26/2010

Positek LLC

05/26/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Hired Positek to level our house. Paid $5000.00 to have it leveled. It is not level and they refuse to do anymore work.
My wife and I hired Positek to level our house. In July 2014, Positek gave us an estimate of $2800 to level the house after they came out and inspected it. They wrote on the estimate that $2800.00 included 3 sills under the kitchen area. When they came back out to do the work they raised the price to $5000.00 because they said they need to install 11 sills for $2200.00. They wrote on another inspection report "Attempted to raise sill to level, found that pressure was pushing joists to disconnect from sill. Need to correct by installing 11 sills for $2200.00 Total to complete work $5000.00". They came back out a few days later to level the house at the new price of $5000.00 and wrote on our invoice "one area underneath the laundry room flooring must be replaced to finish leveling the laundry room. 1 joist cannot replace joist from underneath due to plumbing, when floor gets replaced we will replace joist. 2 spots where sills are kicking, we put a bind on them and moved them but remaining kick cannot be removed without questioning integrity of house." It also includes a 2 year warranty.
The floors in question were replaced in October 2015 and we called Positek to let them know they could come finish leveling the house as the flooring had been replaced. They came out to finish leveling the house while I was at work and my wife was at home. I got home and could tell the house was still not level, doors did not open or close correctly, the floors sloped, the walls were separating, the ceiling was cracked in many places, the walls had cracks, and the front entry way was all crooked.
I called them back again and the this time the whole family showed up and attempted to level it. They said they were done and I showed them the doors still did not open and close without binding or not at all functional. I showed them the walls separating and the floor slopes. They said it is the best its going to get and then said they would come out and put in a row of sills on piers under the hall bathroom wall to the exterior wall at no additional charge. The father of the family came out and did the work while I was at work and my wife was home. When I got home from work, I found that there was no change in the leveling of the house at all. The sills that he put in on piers is not even touching the house underneath, I went under there and moved it with my hands.
The father wrote a scope of work that says "Positek installed 3 sills in gap from shared bathroom wall to exterior for purpose of customer satisfaction. South wall is lower than North wall. Can not raise South wall any further due to structural concerns".
I called them and told them the house was still not level and there is over an inch difference between my back door and the outside wall, which is about 8 feet, and I would like them to come back and level the house correctly like they said it would be and charged us $5000.00 to do.
He said there was work needed to be done before it can be and that it would again cost more money to do. I told him that this was the first I had heard about it and could he come show me what needs to be done and give another estimate. He said he would do that and call me within a week to schedule it and I said ok. He called back about 15 minutes later and said he wants us to find someone else to do the work because there is to many problems. I asked him about the warranty and that we paid $5000.00 to level the house so far and its still not level. He said that is was better than it was. I told him I did not pay to have it "better than it was", I paid to have it level.

I want a refund of the $5000.00 I paid to have my house leveled. The house is not level and they refuse to do anymore work or honor the 2 year warranty. Now I need to pay another company to level the house.

Original estimate was given on March 12, 2013 to the customer who owns the home who is now married to the individual who is filing the complaint. the estimate was for leveling and adding 3 8ft sills in the kitchen area. In July of 2014 the customer called wanting us to begin work on the house, so July 12th 2014 we went to inspect since it was over a year from the time of the original estimate. we found the house to have deteriorated significantly since the original estimate. We estimated an additional 11 8ft sills were needed due to almost complete failure of the original sills. We estimated work to be a total of $5000 which included the original $2800. On July 14, 2014 we returned to begin work and found that the laundry area had flooring to be replaced and could not be completed. Agreed to return and complete laundry area when repair work on flooring was completed. we then attempted to complete the rest of the leveling of the house and found that we could not finish due to questionable integrity of the house. We installed 14 sills and 2 piers, which would have normally cost $6370, discounted it to $5000 in order to honor our agreed upon price of $5000. The customer paid $4000 which was nsf (check #1244) which she corrected within 2 weeks. We returned in October 2015 to complete work under laundry room. We discovered that material had been added under laundry room without our consent altering the level and voiding the warranty. We also discovered signs of water intrusion on south side of house also voiding warranty. We returned on October 28th 2015 to install 3 additional sills at no charge in order to satisfy the customer. We showed the customer that 1 of the 3 sills were not in full contact to the joist due to the warp in the joist. Sill was set at correct level anticipating the correction of warp over time. Also noted that south wall was lower than north wall and could not raise due to structural concerns which is addressed in our leveling estimates. At the completion of the work on the 28th the customer then wrote out a recommendation which states: "On X-XX-XX Positek came out and leveled my house. Then came out on XX-XX-XX to level another section. We had one small problem but" Positek "came back and fixed it. They did a great job considering the house was on the verge of falling. When they first done the job I did not have all the money to pay them but they still did the job on good faith that I will pay them at a later time which I did when they came on 10/15. They are very honorable, good hard working family. If I ever need them again I will call them before anyone else and I would recommend them to anyone that needs there house leveled"
In November of 2015 we received a call from another reputable leveling company that we are unaffiliated with and had no prior contact with telling us that the customer had contacted them to look at leveling the house. The company called us and told us that they would have never touched it due to the disrepair that the house was in, and that we did a good job that we should be proud of. The company also told us that all the repair work was done correctly and just like they would have done.

First, I also own the home not just my wife, check the records.
The check #1244 that you say was NSF, was not our banks fault, your bank rejected the check and sent it back to ours, we had all of the funds to cover that and more in our account and can prove that. Also, when you notified us of that, we went out of our way and made sure you were paid in a lot less than 2 weeks.
No material was added under the laundry room and no where does it state on any of our paperwork about altering or "water intrusion" voids the warranty.
No one has ever told us what needs repaired with the exception of the laundry room flooring and that was repaired. The joist was not replaced like you said it would be on the invoice dated 7/14/14.
When you came out on 10/28/15 to put in the 3 sills, you were supposed to arrange it with me so that I could be there as well. You did not do that and instead, did it when my wife was there and I was at work. She knows nothing about construction or what to check for. That is why I asked you to arrange it when I was there. My wife was manipulated by you to write the recommendation that you quoted in your last response and she will testify to that. I am the co-owner of the house and I am the one that went under the house and walked with you and your son around and inside the house, pointing out all of the areas, floors, doors, cracked and separating walls, cracked and separating ceiling,and bulging siding. I took pictures of it all and when you saw me doing that, you then said you wanted to make it right and come out and put the 3 sills in the gap from the shared bathroom wall to the exterior.
Bottom line is that we paid $5000.00 to have you level the house, which you said you could do, and it is not level. Not once did you or anyone in your family point out this "disrepair" that you write about.
If the house was in such a state of disrepair and questionable integrity as you state, then why were we charged $5000.00 to have it leveled by you?

Positek was first contacted by the owner of the home and that is who we dealt with through the entire process. We went to do the call back work on 10/15/15 which is when we decided to come back to install 3 sills for free after complainant appeared unhappy with work and positek and complainant agreed upon this resolution and shook to confirm resolution and confirmed scheduling of installation of 3 sills 2 weeks later on 10/28/15. We have never manipulated anyone to write a recommendation on our behalf, we ask if an individual will write a recommendation and they choose if they want to write one or not. When Positek completed the installation of the 3 sills on 10/28/15, we asked for a recommendation, owner agreed, and then owner went inside and wrote a recommendation in their own words, then approached us with the recommendation outside the home.

House Leveling, Home Repair & Maintenance