We were rented a non-working, dirty cabin, with an unclean hot tub, broken fireplaces, internet, televisions and x box, and animal control issues.
Prior to our arrival, we were surprised to find several negative on-line customer reviews of this cabin. We shared them with Gatlinburg Falls management in advance of our trip, and were assured verbally and in writing that all prior issues had been corrected, and there was no need to switch cabins or otherwise change our plans.
We therefore proceeded with our trip, only to find that the cabin was a complete disaster, and our trip was therefore ruined.
Among the many problems we encountered were:
- inoperable internet system on arrival;
- first repair attempt unsuccessful, so a second technician had to then come by to repair the system problem;
- 2 inoperable lower level tv's upon arrival, including the large home theatre tv;
- partial restoration of service to 1 tv by tv technician, but only if we manually operated controls located within a built in wooden box on the floor that he had opened (we had to crawl on our knees to do this; all remote controls and the other tv could not be repaired);
- since the other tv was completely inoperable, the attached X box console could therefore not be used;
- 2 inoperable 2nd floor fireplaces on arrival;
- most alarming, the hot tub that had never been cleaned, which we and our children discovered upon tub entry later the first evening by stepping on slimy growths clinging to the hot tub floor when we got in;
- then, when the hot tub technician finally arrived the next afternoon, upon draining the tub, he found a large amount of fungus like debris at the bottom. He confirmed that no one had ever drained and cleaned the tub prior to our arrival, meaning we stepped into and sat in water containing this potentially hazardous material. Needless to say, we did not use the tub again.
- the cabin was dirty, with dust and dirty windows, no dishtowels, and relatively few glasses, mugs, dishes and pans for our use.
- on our final day, an animal was rooting around in the interior walls, adding to our cabin related pleasures.
We spent most of two days talking to Gatlinburg Falls management about these problems, trying without success to get them fully remedied. Countless hours were wasted with these calls and periodic service visits, and we never had full use of the tv's, x box, fireplaces or hot tub. Given these conditions, we had no choice but to cut our trip short, and departed on January 6th.
What makes this situation especially troubling is that:
- all of the conditions were significant and deprived us of basic cabin amenities that had been advertised and promised in advance of our trip;
- all were present before we arrived at the property;
- all could have been detected and corrected with even the most cursory inspection prior to our arrival;
- all existed despite the fact that we also spoke to Gatlinburg Falls personnel numerous times in advance of our visit, and were specifically assured the property would be in rentable condition when we arrived.
We request a full refund of our rental, and more importantly that Gatlinburg Falls reform its practices so other families are not similarly harmed.
We appreciate all guests feed back and are constantly striving to be the best in the business and could not do so without information from our guest. It is unfortunate that this guest left on an unhappy note, as we feel we did everything in our power to make their stay enjoyable.
We do have record that the guest reported the internet was not working. At 5:54pm on the same day reset the router and the internet worked. We have no record of a second call about internet or another technician coming to fix it. The guest also states that his televisions where not working. Our records show that they were fixed. We also called the maintenance man and he confirmed with us that all TV's where working when he went to check them.
We have no reports of problems with the box. We do have record that the guest reported fireplaces not working at 5:14pm. At 7:40 pm the same day Milton also stated that he just pressed the button on the fireplaces and they were working fine. This may have been a lack of the guest knowing how to use them.
At 9:47pm on Jan. 4th we have record that the guest reported mold growing in the hot tub. The next day at 5:06pm He came to the cabin and cleaned the hot tub. He did state that he had to drain the hot tub, remove the screen in the bottom, so he could get the food (cheese, olives, and mushrooms) out. Then he cleaned the hot tub, and filled it back up. We have no reports of a dirty cabin or the guest needing extra items such as dishtowels, glasses or dishes. Had they made those requests we would have delivered those items to them.
We also have no report of an animal in the walls of the cabin. Again had the guest let us know of such an issue we would have taken correct measurements to get it taken care of.
The guest called and spoke to our Manager Bryson and he offered the guest back $ which we felt is more than fair. The guest did ask for half their stay back and we declined due to the issues they reported were taken care of in a timely manner. Upon receiving this complaint our Manager called the guest and offered him back % of his stay which would have been $ he declined that as well.
We will be happy to refund the guest $ of their stay but we do not feel that a full refund is justifiable considering the things that they did report we took care of in a timely manner and the rest were not reported so we did not have a chance to fix them.
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
I appreciate the detailed response, but am unable to accept the assertions or the proposed resolution. the concept that their "records" constitute proof of what actually happened is convenient for them, but yet another untruth. The facts are as we stated in the complaint .... for example, the large TV could only be operated as I originally described (on all 4's, to change channels and volume), the second TV and attached X box could never be operated because the remotes were not repaired, the hot tub had never been cleaned and frankly it is unclear what the material eventually removed in fact was, and the animal within the walls and overall condition of the cabin are as stated. We spent countless hours talking to Gatlinburg Falls staff and hosting maintenance personnel throughout our trip. Gatlinburg Falls answer does not satisfactorily address these issues, and instead is just another example of what seems to be their preferred business model. Then, the idea of a % resolution is also unfair and deceptive .... it is only the product of a series of incremental concessions, where we were first offered nothing, then eventually $, and now % of our invoice (which barely covers the hot tub cleaning we never received). Accordingly, we cannot accept %, and instead must pursue other available remedies. For a business to repeatedly act this way without correction is simply not right. Thank you.
Final Business Response
We at Venture Resorts stand by our previous post. As we state in our reservation agreement we do everything we can to make sure your cabin is ready for your stay. We provide the finest luxury cabins in the Smokies with maximum amenities; they are not hotel rooms and, therefore, from time to time, appliances, hot tubs, satellite TV, water, electricity, etc. will break down or malfunction. We will respond as quickly as we can to make repairs and restore amenities. The reservation agreement also stated that we will not refund monies due to these issues. However,we did offer this guest money back. As we stated in our previous post the issues the guest made us aware of were taken are of in a timely manner, the issues they reported that we were not able to take care of we offered the % back. We feel this is more than fair and will not be offering any more monies.