BBB Accredited Business since 07/28/2004

The Pipe Doctor, LLC

10/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

3/2015 remove old water tank install tankless Water hammer started within the week when recirculating pump turned on. Called The Pipe Doctor returned to replace PRV valve No change. Called back twice to leave messages When I did speak to W, he said a technician would be out. Technician did not show three times. Each time I had to call back to report the technician did not arrive. Fourth call technician came out to tighten J Hooks. No change. During this time, it is progressively taking longer to get hot water to shower and sinks. Error code on hot water unit and visible expansion and contraction on unit. I called again and left a message with Wes and did not get a return call. After two weeks of no response and the error code, I called another plumbing company. The other company came out with a sales rep from Navien They felt venting needed repair and left the internal recirculating pump off. Water hammer resolved with the recirculating pump off. I was not able to get hot water to my kitchen sink. The second company repaired the venting, replaced recirculation line in crawl space. No water hammer for approximately two weeks nut also could not get hot water to my kitchen sink. Duration to get hot water to shower was back to approx. 30 seconds. After an entire night of water hammer, hot water returned to my kitchen sink. The second company put an expansion tank on water heater. At this time they felt I should call original company back, with possible problem with unit. Called The Pipe Doctor Left message with W. He returned call after approximately a week and asked a few questions about when hammering occurred. Stated he would get in touch with a rep. W called a week later and he stated a technician and rep from would come out. A technician and rep come to house, rep notes error code on unit and feels venting was not done properly and needs to be redone again. Mfg. rep also adjusted the temperature differential for when the recirculating pump comes on. Pipe Doctor technician pressurizes the expansion tank. Technician takes my phone number and states He will call to schedule a time after talking to W. Again I do not hear from them. A week later I call. Technician from Pipe Doctor comes out to repair venting. The water hammer to my master bathtub is improved, but still present with recirculating pump coming on and when shower or master bath faucets run. I have called the company twice now with no return phone call. The bottom line is that when the internal recirculating pump is turned off, the water hammer resolves. This would indicated something is faulty or not compatible with this unit. I call mfg directly to get suggestions. They state they would need to speak with the Pipe Doctor directly to try and resolve the issue.

I would either like a complete refund on the unit so that I could try another unit or have the company work with me to resolve the issue.

The customer had called and asks us to set up an appointment to come out and provide estimate on the water heater replacement. We had given two estimates (Straight replacement for tank type water heater and also provided estimate for tankless water heater). Customer contacted me on that the water lines were banging in the home. Sent service tech out to check issue and service tech adjusted the pressure reducing valve. The homeowner did call back a few days later leaving a voice mail expressing that issue had not changed. Sent service tech back out to replace the pressure reducing valve on the main water line Homeowner in the complaint mentioned she had called back in after the last service date and stated she had left me a message with an error code on the water heater. I didn't receive the call or I would have returned her call to ask for the error code. At this time she hired another plumbing company to address the issue. The other company had come out with an Salesman from enterprises and recommended replacing the venting to 3" venting and then reducing down at the roof line to 2" venting. They also removed part of the circulation water line in the crawl space & at the water heater and installed thermal expansion tank at the water heater. Consumer stated in complaint that after this company had came out and made changes to the system (which didn't correct the issue) that she should call the original company back with possible issue with the water heater. Spoke with the consumer the first week of September, she had explained to me that she had hired another company to address the issue and that she was still having issues. I told her that I would contact the manufacturer and have a company representative come out with The Pipe Doctor to try resolve her issue. The representative called me back and we setup an appointment with the consumer. We meet at the house on and the representative checks the water heater for codes. The heater showed a code for the venting. (The other company that had come out had changed the venting for the water heater). He also noted that we need to add correct pressure to the thermal expansion tank that they had installed and the representative had changed the internal setting for when the circulating pump comes on. We gave the consumer an estimate to correct the issue with venting. Consumer calls back a week later and we set appointment at which time we replaced the venting back to the original installation which was coming off the water heater with a 2" to 3" adapter & then running 3" vent to the roof line with correct fittings per code At this time I haven't heard anything about the job until receiving this complaint. I would like to speak to the customer to express that The Pipe Doctor will try to resolve this issue and that I have been in touch with the representative. The representative says that he has been talking to the husband and he has a couple things to change that could resolve the issue. I would like to say that The Pipe Doctor is sorry for the issue not being resolved but would like to work with the customer to try to resolve this issue.

I appreciate the response from The Pipe Doctor. While we were waiting for a response, we discussed with a representative a way to reduce the amount of noise during the middle of the night. The representative made an adjustment and stated it would take 7 days to program the unit. After this time, I will contact The Pipe Doctor to ensure we have a resolution.

Plumbers, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning